Raleigh, NC NCMA

Wow...good stuff. Seemed a bit short to me, but awesome anyway. I think it was really cool that 1) folks with GA tickets were allowed up front and 2) those with GA tickets were cool enough to sit so those of us in the seats could see :D

Too tired to attempt a setlist, but my personal higlights were Blasting Fonda and Can't keep from talkin'.

Great show!!!

:rock

Good show, though somewhat short. It was great to see some old friends and meet some new ones. Some highlights: "What light?" opener and "Acuff-Rose" closer. And the hilarious banter.

Great show - but too many annoying loud mouths up front who don't understand common courtesies like not talking throughout an entire show (esp. an acoustic one) and not annoying the performer amongst others. Great set. No "Gun" but that wasn't completely shocking. (So I'm listening to it now from his Vic performance a while back.) There was even a Brian Paulson dedication, which was sweet.

I was blinded by plenty of flashes, so I'm assuming someone will be posting some photos soon? Were there any tapers there?

I need to get to bed (have to be up in 5 hrs) - setlist coming from Jeremy (who was sitting behind me) otherwise I'd attempt one right now. Basic overall thought: Fantastic performance - lousy loudmouths. Last time loudmouths annoyed me this much was at the Charlotte show - what's up with NC Wilco fans?

Edited by Sandi Shorter

Here's the setlist for you:

What Light

IATTBYH

Was I (In Your Dreams)

New Madrid

fragment of an Elizabeth Cotten song (I gave you my money/You called me honey/You thought that was funny/That's why I'm going away)

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Summerteeth

The Ruling Class

Theologians

Blasting Fonda

Hesitating Beauty

*Zamboni Man song (chorus is something like I didn't die/I should be satisfied/I survived/It's good enough for now; not sure what it might be called--maybe Sky Blue Sky)

ELT (started and restarted)

A Shot in the Arm

I'm The Man Who Loves You

----------------------------------

Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down

(short instrumental strumming)

Far, Far Away

Walken

Airline to Heaven

I Can't Keep From Talking (dedicated to Brian Paulson)

Acuff-Rose

*If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time this one has been played at a show. Jeff said it was a song he wrote a while ago for a friend of his, or more accurately for his friend's movie, Zamboni Man, and recently started playing again. But I can't recall it ever being played live before.

I've driven roughly 1000 miles to see Wilco/Tweedy 3 times. This time was so unbelievably worth it. I mean, I've had my face rocked off twice by Wilco, but nothing came close to this.

I had a nice lawn view of the opening act with my girlfriend, and, after the opener's set concluded, I walked around a bit and noticed the orch. pit was somewhat empty. I mosied on down there and we got some beautiful seats on that big concrete slab in front of the stage, putting me roughly 2-3 feet right of center and 10 feet away from the man himself. And honestly, I've never been treated to such a performance. The intimacy and integrity were astounding. A long time fan (but only recently old enough to drive myself to the shows), every mile and every late night sipping coffee to stay awake on the ride home became instantaneously worth it.

Perhaps its still the endorphins coursing through my system, but I can't stop from announcing to everyone and nobody at all my sheer satisfaction and all-consuming joy. It is at once fulfilling and bittersweet, because I know it's over and I was privy to the event, but I'm quite sure that, unless I cough up the many thousands of dollars to have him play in my living room for next year's benefit, I'll never see another show that comprehensively entertaining.

The audience harmony on "Summerteeth" makes me laugh even now, and I want "Airline to Heaven" played at my funeral.

I want to thank everyone for going and being so nice and full of Carolinian decency. Nothing else is going to come close to a night like this, not ever. And I'd like to extend my gratitude to any of you for showing up and making that possible.

I was the kid in the green/brown 3/4 length shirt. And I had one hell of a time.

Having just arrived back in good ol' Richmond, VA, it is time that I go collect my thoughts and attempt to re-attatch the skin back on my face, having had it totally rocked off. Goodnight all.

- Fletcher

Here's a link to the song from Zamboni Man. This spare, moving song was one of the highlights of the show for me. It was better live than this link from movie, but we have to wait to hear that. (Yes, there were tapers!)

Lullaby for Rafters and Beams

It includes an MP3 ripped from the movie, lyrics and a link to the movie (didn't work for me).

A Tweedy solo show is always a fantastic experience and this was no exception. (And no one around me was talking). Theologians was also a highlight for me. It had quiet parts, falsetto parts and loud parts.

And classic Tweedy banter!

Jeff

(now heading to the beach for a few days vacation).

I had a blast meeting everyone last night! It was definitely worth the drive from Falwellville.

Watchmefall and I had a good laugh over the one drunken (and loud) ass who slurred, "That was a classic!" after Walken.

Had a great time and hope to meet up with all y'all at another show sometime.

Now that I am really late for work, I need to cut this short.

dcd/Scott

The show was fantastic. I brought a newbie and he really enjoyed the experience.

To me, What Light sounded fantastic as both an opener and as an acoustic number. He basically sang it the way he's played it with the band (same key, not higher or lower). If the new material is more carefree and straightforward, I think this should open the album.

The show was short and I was disappointed when he didn't come back for an encore with still 20 minutes before 11:00 p.m.

What an unique venue and experience - a solo acoustic outdoor amphitheatre with the lawn only 50 feet away. I liked that I could sit and still be only about 20 feet from him.

Walken sounded fantastic last night. I've heard the Living Room version and wasn't that impressed, but he really pulled it off. His guitar playing is underrated in my opinion.

To me, it really seems as though Jeff is intentionally incorporating a spiritual element to his shows more so than in the past. Perhaps I am reaching, but he opens with What Light? and also plays ... The Ruling Class, Theologians, Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down, In Christ There Is No East or West, and Airline to Heaven.

I am thankful that Jeff did a solo acoustic show in NC. I got to hear several songs that I never believed I'd witness being played live. I'd love for him to come back, but I'm not holding my breath.

A big shoutout to the venue for keeping the refreshments reasonable. I drove all the way from Charlotte, so no beer or wine, but you can't beat bottled water for $1. Classy.

thanks for the reports...

quick questions:

what did what light sound like solo?... did he sing it in a high register or lower like a lot of solo tunes

also was acuff rose with the PA or without?

hope all had a great time!

Acuff-Rose was with PA and I think it was a request. Someone yelled something before ICKFT (although I couldn't hear what was yelled) and Jeff said he'd play that next.

That was a great show, I think that Jeff was getting a little bit tired of trying to play over people though, which maybe why it was a short show. I remember him saying at one point "you guys still with me?" thats never a good thing. I guess thats what happens when you sell full bottles of wine :) does anyone know how much those were going for? And why sell bottles of wine but cans of Corona? But besides the crowd noise, it was a great show. I thought that he did an awsome set.

also, did anyone else notice the guy leave with his 2 kids, walkin in front of the stage on his way out and flick off Tweedy during Ruling Class?

I saw a guy taping to the left of me so hopefully the show will be posted

*Zamboni Man song (chorus is something like I didn't die/I should be satisfied/I survived/It's good enough for now; not sure what it might be called--maybe Sky Blue Sky)

*If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time this one has been played at a show. Jeff said it was a song he wrote a while ago for a friend of his, or more accurately for his friend's movie, Zamboni Man, and recently started playing again. But I can't recall it ever being played live before.

!whoa! I remember that song and it is beautiful. Congrats to you lucky folks who heard it live first. Paul, thanks for the setlist -- I'll bet you're glad you made it to this one.

Fletcher, your post really made me smile. You described that feeling of transcendent bliss that is like crack to music freaks. Dang it, I love that feeling. I had that same feeling at the Grand Rapids Tweedy solo show in the chapel last fall, a most moving experience. I also don't think anything can reach that again. Although I'll keep going to shows just in case. :)

I guess thats what happens when you sell full bottles of wine :) does anyone know how much those were going for? And why sell bottles of wine but cans of Corona?

also, did anyone else notice the guy leave with his 2 kids, walkin in front of the stage on his way out and flick off Tweedy during Ruling Class?

The bottles of wine were $14! :yes The beer cans were $3. My wife went for the wine, but I went for the Newcastle until they sold out, then switched to the Corona. Good times.

What the heck was wrong with that guy? What did he expect at a Tweedy show? I was actually surprised that Tweedy's banter didn't include any 4-letter words--not that my kids probably haven't heard them before. :hmm

As for the talking, there was a good bit in spots. Most of it didn't bother me, but Tweedy did react a couple of times, including changing a line in "Walken". I did get annoyed by the guy next to me on the lawn that kept calling people on his cell phone and telling them that he was thinking about them. Whatever.

The bottles of wine were $14! :yes The beer cans were $3. My wife went for the wine, but I went for the Newcastle until they sold out, then switched to the Corona. Good times.

What the heck was wrong with that guy? What did he expect at a Tweedy show? I was actually surprised that Tweedy's banter didn't include any 4-letter words--not that my kids probably haven't heard them before. :hmm

As for the talking, there was a good bit in spots. Most of it didn't bother me, but Tweedy did react a couple of times, including changing a line in "Walken". I did get annoyed by the guy next to me on the lawn that kept calling people on his cell phone and telling them that he was thinking about them. Whatever.

Hey Chad- was that you who loudly shushed those drunk guys? I don't know when they weaseled their way onto the lawn behind us (beside you), but I only started to notice them during the encore.

Scott

I guess art is doing its job if it elicits such strong reactions, eh?

dcd

I went for the Newcastle until they sold out, then switched to the Corona. Good times.

We had the same game plan, haha.

Some of those people go to everything that the Art Musem has, or thats what my girlfriend was thinking. But I was wondering if Jeff saw him and that is why he played Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down during the encore. Whens the last time that he played that song?

Yeah the talking did not bother me except for once or twice. Couldn't take away from the greatness of the show

Edited by guitarnp
Hey Chad- was that you who loudly shushed those drunk guys? I don't know when they weaseled their way onto the lawn behind us (beside you), but I only started to notice them during the encore.

Scott

Hey Scott,

Nah, I didn't shush anybody--that usually ends up being louder than the talking--but some of the people that I was with might have. We mainly just ended up making fun of them, between songs, of course. :lol Anyway, good to meet you and I hope the drive back wasn't too bad.

Hey Scott,

Nah, I didn't shush anybody--that usually ends up being louder than the talking--but some of the people that I was with might have. We mainly just ended up making fun of them, between songs, of course. :lol Anyway, good to meet you and I hope the drive back wasn't too bad.

The damned GPS unit treated much better on the way home than it did on the way there, it routed me around Durham instead of through it, which was good.

I made it back to Falwellville about 2:30, made it to work late, and am dragging arse today. The whole "50 cups of coffee" thing is in total effect today. It was so worth it, though!

S~

Good show. I went up to the porta potties shortly before the encore, and you could barely hear that high up on the lawn. Definitely a "museum" crowd as much or more so than a specific Tweedy fan crowd. The talking was awful. Some dude behind me kept saying "oh, this is a great fucking song", and then he'd gab right through it. Fuck all, man, just stay home with the albums if you're going to flap your choppers all night. I could have done with an extra 3 or 5 songs, and one does wonder if Jeff just got tired of competing. He more than earned his money either way.

I'm not a huge fan of Spiders (blasphemer!), but I loved it last night. The strength of the song came out by not being overwhelmed by the percussiveness and jams.

what a terrific show. that was equal to an epic wilco show in my opinion. it was such a special experience for everyone. i really love that amphitheater; maybe jeff will make it a regular solo venue (unlikely) but it seemed like he really enjoyed the atmosphere.

I'd like to thank all the people who were right in front of the stage for sitting down so us in the stands and lawn could see. the size and setting of the amphitheater was superb, and how great is it to have such a loyal and kind fanbase. Jeff is definitely proud, as based on his long diatribe to that guy about confidence. that was pretty funny. Does anybody know who that was?

Anyway, highlights for me were Satan, your kingdom must come down, blasting fonda, and (was I) in your dreams. And the Zamboni Man song was beautiful.

Cheers, and let's hope Jeff someday makes a solo album.