New Decemberists

Disagree! Where is my charming little literate folk band? The prog-rock stuff just doesn't work for me, and a couple of the folksier songs, which are usually Meloy's bread and butter, just didn't do it for me, either. One of the first softer songs (I don't have the tracklisting handy) seemed about two lesbians away from an indigo girls song. I heard maybe three or four songs I liked.

yeah, not surprised that some older fans feel this way actually...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Colin recently on his solo tour and I was bummed to see that the song he wrote for his newborn son didnt make the cut for the album. But, then, I suppose it wasnt really ever going to work with the whole band.

I havent heard it since I saw it back in Jan, but the tune is still in my head. I think the chorus went something like: "its weird and its wonderful too"... or something like that. Oh well.

As for bands that I loved that I was embarrassed about 5 yrs later? Well, I certainly have my share. I wouldnt say I am embarrassed per se, but I wouldnt say its the first thing I'd bring up at my next cocktail party. I suppose I have always wondered if the decemberists would end up in that pile. The pretentiousness of it all sometimes makes me wonder. :) But for now? I like em. And I am really looking forward to the new one. Going to hold off listening until its released.

Just got Crane Wife today and I'm loving it. Crane Wife 3 is outstanding, and O Valencia is one of the better songs in their catalog.

If anything, the album seems to lack that one beautifully sparse and simple song that all the others seem to have (Grace Cathedral Hill, Red Right Ankle, Of Angels and Angles) - but that's just a minor point. Another typically great war song and the longer pieces work well.

Already have my tix for Tucson and can not wait.

Mike

If anything, the album seems to lack that one beautifully sparse and simple song that all the others seem to have (Grace Cathedral Hill, Red Right Ankle, Of Angels and Angles) - but that's just a minor point. Another typically great war song and the longer pieces work well.

i hear what you're saying, but Sons & Daughters kinda gives me those same feelings as those other tracks for me...

also... Shankill Butchers??

seems like that song fills that niche

also... Shankill Butchers??

seems like that song fills that niche

i see what you mean by that, but with the others (red right ankle, of angels and angles, etc.) i see the lyrics as being much more romanticized than with shankill butchers. looking at them all as stories, shankill butchers seems to me more of a mystery story, while the other two, both seem to be kind of playing with words (if that makes any sense) and tell a little more of a romanticized story. i dunno if that makes any sense at all, but that's how i've always viewed them because they've always been highlights of decemberists albums for me.

i havent really listened to this enough times to pass solid judgement... but i sure hope it matches up to Picaresque, because Picaresque was weeeeeeeaaaaaaak.

it's waaaaaay better than Picaresque, which you are right, was their weakest record to date (still had some killer songs though)

And if it weren't for the new Soul Asylum, Pearl Jam, and Gin Blossom records, I may still be able to say I like a bunch of other '90s bands. I still like their '90s stuff though...

Wanna try tossing another one at me? :P

There's a new Gin Blossoms album? :o

There's a new Gin Blossoms album? :o

Yeah and you're missing NOTHING. The first track is okay, second track is okay, last 11 tracks are freakin' awful. Especially an awful tune titled "Super Girl." :barf That song title alone should have screamed "Don't buy the album!!" at me, but I still have a soft spot for several '90s bands.

Oh, and Lizish, I was referring to you mentioning the Decemberists as a band I'd be "embarassed" to have liked come 2010 or whatever.

If so, toss Wilco in with them. They're the only band I truly like more than the Decemberists. I'm probably one of the few Decmberists fans who likes Picaresque just as much as any other release of theirs.

And The Tain is killer. I can't stop listening to it.

Edited by Scalzunfield

I can understand how the Decemberists don't click for some people....mainly I think Meloy's voice may grate for some. But I've gotten over that hurdle, much like learning to like Michael Stipe in R.E.M.'s early days.

I like the storytelling. They kind of take me away to weird and/or interesting places. At the Bus Mall is a good example.

If so, toss Wilco in with them. They're the only band I truly like more than the Decemberists. I'm probably one of the few Decmberists fans who likes Picaresque just as much as any other release of theirs.

Well, I'm with you. I love Picaresque.

I can understand how the Decemberists don't click for some people....mainly I think Meloy's voice may grate for some. But I've gotten over that hurdle, much like learning to like Michael Stipe in R.E.M.'s early days.

I like the storytelling. They kind of take me away to weird and/or interesting places. At the Bus Mall is a good example.

On the Bus Mall is epic.

Oh, and Lizish, I was referring to you mentioning the Decemberists as a band I'd be "embarassed" to have liked come 2010 or whatever.

If so, toss Wilco in with them. They're the only band I truly like more than the Decemberists.

So I guess that means you are a big fan of two of the most pretentious bands currently around right now, no?

Yeah, I love Picaresque. I like it better than everything but Her Majesty. On the first listen of the Crane Wife I'm digging it.

Inever really got into Picaresque bar a couple of tracks, "The Sporting Life" being one of them. But I absolutely love the Crane Wife, in fact, I dont think ive played any album so much in such a short space of time.

Is it out now?

I love Picaresque. It's fantastic. I don't know how anyone could not enjoy it.

it is great, don't think too many decemberists fan dispute that, just that the 2 before it (and now this new one) are even better

So I guess that means you are a big fan of two of the most pretentious bands currently around right now, no?

Right.

I'll remain happy listening to music I enjoy (your opinion doesn't matter to me on this one) and you can remain spiteful. Keep up the good work. :music

Edited by Scalzunfield
it is great, don't think too many decemberists fan dispute that, just that the 2 before it (and now this new one) are even better

Other than a few songs (July July and The Legionaire's Lament) I don't really like Castaway's and Cutouts. I personally think it's their worst album, and that's including the new one that I've heard but briefly.