New Decemberists

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree. It took me a while to get into Colin's voice. Picaresque was the first Decemberists album that I got into. Something about that one just clicked, but now I pretty much love the whole Decemberists catalogue. Love the crane wife. :yes

Is this officially out yet? If not, when's it coming?

Is this officially out yet? If not, when's it coming?

Oct. 3rd says the website...I haven't really heard any of it yet.

But Picaresque was really great. If they could strip away some of the pesky gimmicks that plagued "Picaresque" colin could really craft something relavent.

just giving it a listen now...the crane wife 3 is really fabulous, if the first song is this good i have no doubt this will be on my top albums of 06 list

sidenote: whatever happened to that solo cd/movie(?) that colin meloy was supposed to put out after his solo tour? or maybe its out there and i just havent seen it yet?

I think it's great. I'll be buying the CD at a show (probably The Riv show in Chicago). Can't wait for both!

Here's some Decemberists' dates:

8.23 Woodland Park Zoo Seattle, WA $ all ages

8.26 NRK Festival Salem, OR ## all ages

The Rout of the Patagons Tour 2006

10.17 Crystal Ballroom Portland, OR # all ages

10.18 Crystal Ballroom Portland, OR # all ages

10.19 Warfield Theatre San Francisco, CA # all ages

10.21 The Wiltern Los Angeles, CA # all ages

10.22 Rialto Theater Tucson, AZ # all ages

10.24 Stubb's Austin, TX # all ages

10.25 Gypsy Ballroom Dallas, TX # 17+

10.26 House of Blues New Orleans, LA # 18+

10.27 Tabernacle Atlanta, GA # all ages

10.29 9:30 Club Washington D.C. # all ages

10.30 9:30 Club Washington D.C. # all ages

10.31 Calvin Theatre Northampton, MA # all ages

11.01 Electric Factory Philadelphia, PA # all ages

11.03 Hammerstein Ballroom New York, NY & all ages

11.04 Orpheum Theatre Boston, MA & all ages

11.05 Metropolis Montreal, Quebec & all ages

11.06 Kool Haus Toronto, Ontario & all ages

11.07 Clutch Cargo Pontiac, MI & all ages

11.09 Agora Theatre Cleveland, OH & all ages

11.10 Lifestyle Communities Pavilion Columbus, OH & all ages

11.11 Riviera Theatre Chicago, IL & all ages

11.12 First Avenue Minneapolis, MN & 18+

11.14 Paramount Theatre Denver, CO & all ages

11.16 Wilma Theatre Missoula, MT & all ages

11.17 Paramount Theatre Seattle, WA & all ages

11.18 Commodore Ballroom Vancouver, BC & 19+

$ w/ Nethers

## w/ Violent Femmes and Cake

# w/ Lavender Diamond

& w/ Alasdair Roberts

What's the freakin' deal?!

Shouldn't you leaked-cd-listeners have been reviewing this early-October release about a month ago?

From a Joe-normal music dude, I must say I'm very, very, very disappointed in you all.

I'm sick and tired of not getting my advanced screening of a cd until just TWO months before official release. This slacking off must stop!

(I'll give my 2 cents around October 4th.)

Lord, I hate this band.

I thought it impossible for this band to get more pretentious, yet here is the Crane Wife. Why-o-why would someone want to bring back the good ole days of ELP and Marillion?

'In the lowens nestled in the heat

A briar cradle rocks its babe to sleep

Its contents watched by secret acts and patagon in parallax

A portal rumbling sounds below the deep'

Gawk.

They even have the 'everybody play one note in unison' with a big pause thing followed by a Wakeman organ solo.

Lord, I hate this band.

Lord, I hate this band.

This is how I feel about Radiohead.

This is also why I DON'T post in Radiohead topics unless I have something relevant to say. I'd like to think I set a good example on that one that some people might follow.

Oh, and I can't wait for this album and sadly, I don't have the pleasure of downloading the leak as you folks do.

Edited by Scalzunfield
This is how I feel about Radiohead.

This is also why I DON'T post in Radiohead topics unless I have something relevant to say. I'd like to think I set a good example on that one that some people might follow.

Oh, and I can't wait for this album and sadly, I don't have the pleasure of downloading the leak as you folks do.

Yeah, I know, but sometimes the overwhelming urge to comment on the pirate costumes, Soviet colours, Prep school uniforms, horrendous music and overuse of the thesaurus just gets the better of everyone.

Besides, this is a message board. Sometimes disagreement and the intentional derailment of topics is fun and welcome, especially when it is one of those bands that y'all will be embarrassed to say you listened to in about 5 years.

The new Decemberists cd is really amazing.

Agree/Disagree

Disagree! Where is my charming little literate folk band? The prog-rock stuff just doesn't work for me, and a couple of the folksier songs, which are usually Meloy's bread and butter, just didn't do it for me, either. One of the first softer songs (I don't have the tracklisting handy) seemed about two lesbians away from an indigo girls song. I heard maybe three or four songs I liked.

Besides, this is a message board. Sometimes disagreement and the intentional derailment of topics is fun and welcome, especially when it is one of those bands that y'all will be embarrassed to say you listened to in about 5 years.

I still love Fastball...this from 8 years ago. And if it weren't for the new Soul Asylum, Pearl Jam, and Gin Blossom records, I may still be able to say I like a bunch of other '90s bands. I still like their '90s stuff though...

Wanna try tossing another one at me? :P