Now playing from 29th August 2006

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

h44136o0dkv.jpg

Roots - Game Theory

I've spun this a bunch of times since buying it yesterday and it keeps getting better. It'll leave grit on your headphones. ?uestlove's beats are still the crowning jewel of their sound, but I completely diasgree w/ Rolling Stone and think that Black Thought has stepped it up a notch as well. He still spits battle raps like his life depended on it, but has painted an angry, and often paranoid, black man's view on society using their homebase of Philly as the canvas.

The oft dark but funky grooves and subject matter on 'False Media', 'Game Theory', 'Don't Feel Right' and 'In the Music' help to expand your mind while your head is bobbing. Then, like a ray of sunshine breaking through the clouds, you get a Prince-like jam, complete w/ an awesome string arrangement, in 'Long Time' that celebrates rising above all the bad shit they see in their neighborhood and other like it...the shit they never glamorize, but warn against getting dragged down by.

Yes, i'm repping this album hard and you can tag me as a total fanboy. It's no secret that hip-hop is a genre I love with all my heart and when a group like this helps to elevate it back to the stature it deserves, I gotta' say something. I said it before, I haven't felt this enlightened since I was gangly white kid in rural Illinois who had his mind blown by 'It Takes a Nation of Millions'. Buy it and support innovation in music.

Buy it and support innovation in music.

Thanks Kev. I'll give it a try and really liked Phrenology.

right now I will be supporting uninnovative, washed up punks from Australia, who will be performing in rock dives all across North America next month:

h44377vbbno.jpg

BOOK EM DANO!

Edited by lizish
I've listened to this a couple of times and I still have no idea if I really like it (or if I'm just wanting to really like it).

There is that. I'm the same with the new NY dolls cd. Is it really good or am I projecting my wish that it be good?

Anyway, seeing them next month and they better play some New Christs. May even get Tek, Younger and Hopkinson to sign my breasts.

Edited by lizish