new album... on the beach?

on hearing a few live versions of the new songs, i can't help but get this neil young "on the beach" vibe. a lot of the lyrics are tackling similar themes to neil's, including jeff's point in his career. i dont know, im rambling. but i think i have something here. "impossible germany" has that kind of sound that the song "on the beach" has, "let's fight" is (maybe) on some "revolution blues" shit (ok, so thats a stretch but still...), "walken" sounds (and heres the crazy shit) a lot like "walk on," and "what light" has lyrics that are strikingly similar to "walk on" as well.

walk on:

i hear some people been talking me down/bring up my name and toss it around/they don't mention the happy times/they do their thing/i'll do mine/

ooh baby, that's hard to change/i can't tell them how to feel/some get stoned/some get strange/sooner or later/ it all gets real/walk on...

what light:

If you feel like singing a song/and you want other people to sing along/Just sing what you feel/dont let anyone say its wrong/

When you're trying to paint a picture/but you're not sure what colors belong/Just paint what you feel/dont let anyone say its wrong/

And when you're strung out like a kite/Stung awake in the night/Its alright to be frightened/

Theres a light/What light?/Theres a light/What light?/Theres a light/What light?/Inside of you/

theres some definite parallels there...

maybe "either way" could be the "see the sky about to rain"...

hopefully jeff records a solo song on banjo, an electric blues song about oil, and a 9 minute harmonica and guitar epic... then i'll really be on my game. well, anyway... worth a thought.

You know I've noticed some parallels between the new stuff and that record also. Jeff has played Walk On solo twice recently and he's a fan of Neil Young. If the new Wilco album is anything has great as On The Beach were going to be in for a real threat.

--Mike

I don't think the songs are very much like On The Beach at all. On The Beach was recorded after Tonight's The Night (I believe), when Neil was still in his depressed phase. Its a very stoned, sparse, sad work... I don't really see any comparisons with the new Wilco songs.

walk on:

i hear some people been talking me down/bring up my name and toss it around/they don't mention the happy times/they do their thing/i'll do mine/

ooh baby, that's hard to change/i can't tell them how to feel/some get stoned/some get strange/sooner or later/ it all gets real/walk on...

what light:

If you feel like singing a song/and you want other people to sing along/Just sing what you feel/dont let anyone say its wrong/

When you're trying to paint a picture/but you're not sure what colors belong/Just paint what you feel/dont let anyone say its wrong/

And when you're strung out like a kite/Stung awake in the night/Its alright to be frightened/

Theres a light/What light?/Theres a light/What light?/Theres a light/What light?/Inside of you/

In all due respect. I believe Neil is pointing towards friendships ending and peoples lives changing and allowing it to pass. It seems Jeff is trying to make a statement about artistic creation and anxiety. While both have a sense of triumph overy adversity they seem thematically different.

But that is the best Neil Young album that no one talks about enough, his most funky I would say. :)

Now there's an album I wouldn't mind being copied from

Maybe Neil's most underrated? A 3am album..I should go put it on RIGHT NOW

i hope not...i'm probably one of the few people that thinks that record is kind of boring. but then again i'm not a fan of neil young

Blasphemy! :blink

Not the "Jack Johnson meets Wilco" thread I've been secretly hoping for for years.

there was a band that played at a bar near my school last year that actually said they were jack johnson meets wilco, funny enough i didnt see them... Jack Johnson comparison just scared me.

I can kinda see some of the musical theme being the same as on the beach but we will have to wait for the official new album to make some final decisions.

In all due respect. I believe Neil is pointing towards friendships ending and peoples lives changing and allowing it to pass. It seems Jeff is trying to make a statement about artistic creation and anxiety. While both have a sense of triumph overy adversity they seem thematically different.

But that is the best Neil Young album that no one talks about enough, his most funky I would say. :)

perhaps a better parallel for that theme would be the title track "On The Beach" e.g.:

"I need a crowd of people, but I can't face them day to day/ I need a crowd of people, but I can't face them day to day/ Though my problems are meaningless, that don't make them go away/ I need a crowd of people, but I can't face them day to day."