Buncha quitters ...

:lol

:brow

:lol

turning 48 and having my doc tell me I'm a heart attack waiting to happen is one of those things

that make you go :hmm

thanks for all the inspiration folks. :wub I may allow myself one more night of debauchery (well, can you debauch without drinking?) before I put my fresh WV cartons up on ebay. :stunned

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I smoked from age 12 to 26 with increasing frequency until I was up to near 3 packs a day some days (granted often they got left in the ashtray while waiting tables, but still).

Then at the end of 1985 I got the bug that I would quit New Years Day. All my friends told me that I couldn't do it, but I'd never really even tried before. I woke up that morning hungover as all get out and never smoked again.

I found that a Zen approach worked for me -- it was a matter of getting through each situation that I had enjoyed smoking just one time to prove that I could do it. So while on the phone, at work, after movies, after sex, what have you, the first time I didn't smoke, it became much simpler. Oh, and I chewed on toothpicks for about a week. Ugly but effective for me.

You go girl :)

Sorry if I shocked anyone -- I probably shouldn't have just tossed that out there like that. I'm still a little shocked myself.

Viatroy, good luck with the quitting. I wish I could offer some better advice but I never got on the cigs myself (probably because of my Mom).

I've completely quit cold turkey twice now. It's easily accomplished. You just have to set your mind to it. These days, outside of the occasional bumming of a cigarette I've totally sworn off the things altogether. Stay strong.

So, I quit in early June - I was driving home to see my parents (nurse mother, oncologist father) and I decided I just didn't want to be a smoker anymore, plus I wanted to see if I could do it. A week later my grandma got diagnosed with lung cancer, so it seemed like an even more timely decision.

When my grandma got really sick about a month ago, I had some time off of work and was driving back and forth to Kansas City to see her. Everything got really stressful all of a sudden, and I started breaking down - having a few while drinking wine, buying the occasional pack. It's kind of a control thing for me - if everything else is going wrong at least I can make myself happy by smoking.

I'm quitting again starting last week, and I think this time it will stick.

my sincere sympathy, redshift.

my grandma died horribly of emphysema and that convinced me to cut down/quit. when her husband died of heart failure (related to smoking and diet), i chucked my smokes. i smoked pack and a half a day for about 5 years and quit cold turkey. nothing else worked for me. when you set your mind to something, you can really do amazing things.

sorry about your loss, redshift. me and the wife keep "talking" about quitting, and we absolutely should, but fuck me if it aint hard. i can go for about 10 hours, the ones when i am sleeping, but after that all bets are off. we may try to get hypnotized, i know 2 people that swear by it, but you really have to want to quit and i dont know if i/we are prepared to do so just yet. best of luck to everyone who tries

I had some time off of work and was driving back and forth to Kansas City to see her.

It would have been a totally out of context experience to have seen you around town...

Hope your grandma is doing better.

It would have been a totally out of context experience to have seen you around town...

Hope your grandma is doing better.

i actually thought about trying to get together with you and liz, but it just wasn't possible considering the circumstances.

thanks, she actually passed on about a month ago.

i actually thought about trying to get together with you and liz, but it just wasn't possible considering the circumstances.

thanks, she actually passed on about a month ago.

You would be welcome anytime.

Sorry about your grandma. :cheekkiss

I have tried to take up smoking tobacco in the past, but my lungs are always like, "It's one or the other, dude."

the doing it! Now if I can just eliminate the smoking cues from my life -- like when I drive, read, talk, drink coffee all day, surf, blow glass, breathe, move, I'll be fine! :stunned

that was the hardest part fot me.....the cues. Though I smoked a lot I was more of a habit smoker than an addicted smoker. So, I didn't do patches, etc etc. I just had to make a really conscious effort to quit. Those first few weeks in the car, at my desk, after dinner, at a party, going out, studying, etc were really difficult......but, you can do it! you can do it!

sorry to hear that redshift...

i'm trying to quit after 8 years.. the thing that makes it hard here is that there are 3 pubs within 3 minutes walking distance from our department, which we frequent pretty often!. its easy to go a few hours without a smoke, but the pub visit in the afternoon throws it out the window