Neil Young Opens Archives For Fillmore CD/DVD

Neil Young is finally ready to roll out releases from his long-rumored "Archives Performance" series. First up is "Live at the Fillmore East 1970," due Nov. 14 via Reprise. The album features six as-yet-unannounced selections from Crazy Horse's March 6-7 runs at the New York venue, at a time when late guitarist Danny Whitten was still a member of the band.

"Fillmore" will also be available in a CD/DVD edition featuring a high-resolution audio mix, photos from the show, Young's handwritten song lyrics and press articles from the era.

In addition to core members Whitten, Billy Talbot (bass) and Ralph Molina (drums), the four shows found Crazy Horse augmented by producer Jack Nitzsche on electric piano. Among the songs featured in the set lists were "On the Way Home," "Broken Arrow," "Cinnamon Girl," "Cowgirl in the Sand" and "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere."

Young just wrapped a summer tour with Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young but will return to live duty Sept. 30 for Farm Aid in Camden, N.J., and Oct. 21-22 for the Bridge School Benefit outside San Francisco.

http://billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_di...t_id=1003155579

http://www.neilyoung.com/lwwtoday/index.html

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The album features six as-yet-unannounced selections from Crazy Horse's March 6-7 runs at the New York.

Does that mean only 6 songs? A 20 minute "Down By The River" perhaps?

Neil Young is finally ready to roll out releases from his long-rumored "Archives Performance" series. First up is "Live at the Fillmore East 1970," due Nov. 14 via Reprise. The album features six as-yet-unannounced selections from Crazy Horse's March 6-7 runs at the New York venue, at a time when late guitarist Danny Whitten was still a member of the band.

I saw this via "Google alert" a few weeks ago, but ignored it because I was in denial (and didn't see it reported anywhere else). What happened to the Archives @#%$ box set!!!!! :hmm

I suppose Neil may have changed his mind (again!) and decided to release this stuff piece by piece like Dylan... but even the Bootleg Series started with a box set (Vol 1-3).

:frusty

A 20 minute "Down By The River" perhaps?

correct. Neil talked about that version in an article recently :dancing

as for the Archives going piece by piece, i don't think it's gonna happen that way, i think he decided to release this live show seperate from Vol 1, for what reason i don't know.

This will be just the beginning, don't worry. I think part of Neil's new deal with Reprise that he signed a couple of years back included a big chunk of money demanding the Archives be released.

As for the Fillmore thing, the tracks are all killer, including the definitive 'Cowgirl in the Sand' and a 'Down By the River' that will make you wet yourself. Also included is a Crazy Horse version of 'Winterlong'.

Tracklist (rumoured);

Everybody Knows This is Nowhere

Winterlong

Down By the River

Wonderin'

Come On Baby Let's Go Downtown

Cowgirl in the Sand

Bear in mind that the shows the release is taken from were two shows from the same day with identical setlists, apart from DBtR and Cowgirl, and that the first half of each show was an acoustic set. The only song that's missing from the Crazy Horse section of the shows is 'Cinnamon Girl', something he's already released two live versions of. Apart from 'Downtown' (which appeared on Tonight's the Night), all of the above songs are first timers for a Crazy Horse live album.

We'll see if the bugger gets released!

For someone who insists the Archives will contain the bad Neil as well as the good Neil he sure is picky taking only six songs from two shows. He originally said Archive I was to contain a live show of Crazy Horse from 1969 with Danny Whitten. That's a far cry from six live songs from two different shows. Fucking Neil. The walking talking contradiction. B)

From Glorious Noise

Wait a minute. Six selections? Six? We've waited all these years for the Archives and we get six songs? What the fuck' date=' Neil? Why you wanna tease us like that, daddy? Just give it the fuck up already!

Seriously. Joel Bernstein, dude, you've got to convince Neil to stop hoarding this shit and let us have it...[/quote']

:lol

I think being a hardcore Neil Young fan requires the patience of a Zen master.

Yes indeed. "I won't bore you with the story" of my length of service but I have reached a plateau of complete serenity when it comes to Mr. Young . Aka Joe Yankee, Phil Perspective, Shakey Deal, Waterface, the estimable Bernard Shakey, Flyface, Neil and last but most definately not least Neil Percival Kenneth Robert Ragland Young. I've never read Shakey. Didn't want to. I wouldn't know which parts to believe. Plus "Once you start talking about the mystique it's gone". I do have this nagging feeling I'm missing out on another alias though. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. B)

All quotes are from NY.

Shakey was a great read. i'm a huge neil fan and reading it didn't ruin the 'mystique' for me

I couldn't agree more.A real page turner.Coming from a lifelong fan.I really listened to tunes I've heard forever with fresh ears.

• 1 month later...