Now playing 2nd Oct 2006

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same as every month - no one I've heard of :lol

Plan B is one of the few magazines I can read where I don't know 90% of the bands mentioned... brilliant!

I get Under the Radar from a small old-fashioned tobacconist in Wovlerhampton. Definitely my favourite music magazine. I picked up Plan B this month but don't really like it: it looks good and there's a few articles of interest but the writing is far too flowery and pretentious for my liking (and I'm an English grad) and there's little depth to the reviews.

NP: Calexico - Cruel (on shuffle).

going on a CD buying spree in a bit. Just started DJing again and have some gaps to fill.

I get Under the Radar from a small old-fashioned tobacconist in Wovlerhampton. Definitely my favourite music magazine. I picked up Plan B this month but don't really like it: it looks good and there's a few articles of interest but the writing is far too flowery and pretentious for my liking (and I'm an English grad) and there's little depth to the reviews.

True, some of the reviews can be a little light, but I usually just get it to hear about new bands... the free CD with it this month is rather spiffing...

For me this morning:

Fields: 4 From the Village EP (making use of the free downloads from iTunes with Coke)

It wasn't me.

Do you think its better than Give Blood? I havent made my mind up yet.

Do you think its better than Give Blood? I havent made my mind up yet.

Quality wise? Yes, I think it is. Lyrically far, far more coherent. He seems to honed his observational skills - the situations he sings about are perfectly drawn - check out the opening lines in No Return - maybe, they picked up a trick or two when touring with Belle and Sebastian. I think the quieter songs are by far the strongest on the album as they're far more deft.

The only quibble is, and it is a minor point, that you feel slightly short changed at the end of it. The songs are so short that experience is over in a flash, but it's always a good thing to leave them wanting more. I'd draw parallels with It's A Shame About Ray - short blasts of power pop and melodies - only it's much spikier than that.

check out the opening lines in No Return -

Something about a record shop in Birmingham? I think its definately a more mature album than Give Blood but it didnt leave me with the need to listen to it over and over again.

I like the fact that its short though. These days my attention span doesnt really go past 45 minutes for a record so a quick 25 minute fix is great. Take Dylans Nashville Skyline for example.