Now playing 2nd Oct 2006

1160360469_big.jpg

I think it's definitely tighter than Give Blood... but I'm not sure they've lost the charm that won me over originally... they sound like another indie-band with nice riffs, and it's really only his voice that sets them apart from everything else around... I'm giving it another go ...

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've still not made my mind up about that BDB album yet... there's some songs on it that instantly jumped out on me and others that didn't.

I'm surprised that you like it Kyle...

yeah?

Damon is a total favorite of mine. while nothing he's done has touched Bewilderbeast (which might be my top album post '00, certainly top 3), his stuff is still generally quite good.

i agree that there's definitely a few songs that stick out (The title cut for one), there's not really any songs that i would consider bad at least, which is more than i can say for the last one and Fish.

Intriguing! Nothing had touched Bewilderbeast, that's for sure, but I've found him sounding safer and safer as things have gone on.

I miss his ability to prevert what you think of as a song and every has the element of the About A Boy soundtrack to it now - he's settled down and become just a little bit boring... perhaps I need to give it a couple more spins.

while i'd maybe agree w/ the "safer" comment, it's certainly not aimed at a pop/top 40 audience or anything. it's not like he's gone Coldplay/David Gray.

i think the diversity in styles and sound of Bewilderbeast might have been its charm, so by making more cohesive sounding records, it's probably an accurate (if not a tiny bit unfair) assumption that his music has become less interesting.

i still regard him as a top notch songwriter though

I love Hour of Bewilderbeast, but I think a lot of the credit for that has to go with the other players and arrangers - namely the guys from Alfie and Doves. Shining would not be a fifth of the tune without Matt McGeever's cello work and arrangements.

100443.jpg

The pitchfork review was great, I got this in the mail today. I've had the leaked version for awhile, but it is an excellent record. Another album of the year contender. This band is one of the 5-10 best acts making music today, in my humble opinion.

--Mike