To Spank Or Not To Spank

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one and only time I spanked Jake was when he was 3 and broke away from me and ran into the street. I

Interesting, because I know several people who have said the same thing. No matter what your parenting philosophy, playing in traffic always seems to bring on the spankings.

My wife is far more the expert on this than I am, being that she's studied the psychology behind it and all stuff. And as a rule, we've decided not to spank our kids. Not that I can say I haven't been tempted on certain occasions, but that's just it--spankings frequently seem to be more of a reflcetion of a parent's anger than a natural consequence of a child's action. Rather than helping them understand why what they did was wrong, it just sends the message of "Don't piss off Mommy/Daddy."

Then again, if one of my kids ran out in traffic, I'm not sure I'd be so calm about it... :unsure

Did he have a strange accent and suddenly appear in town in 1945?

School: just like this:-

Kes5.jpg

IF YOU DON'T EAT YOUR MEAT, YOU CAN'T HAVE ANY PUDDING! HOW CAN YOU HAVE ANY PUDDING IF YOU DON'T EAT YOUR MEAT?!?

The idea that children are precious little angels is the most dangerous myth out there today. Children are savages who must be civilized through hard labor and frequent beatings. Trust me on this.

This is a great post, but I'd offer an angle on it: I think most kids can be taught a lesson/respect for parents and adults/manners/etc. without the spankings. There's a lot of tact involved in getting your kids to behave themselves and allow themselves to be molded into the people you desire them to be (which is what this is all about, anyway). I've spanked (swatted breifly, really) my older boy (6) twice. Both times he was out of control and doing inappropriate things. He hasn't done them since.

I wasn't usually hit/spanked when I was growing up but lived in fear of the consequences set up by my parents and the respect they commanded (at least until my HS years). I can vividly remember having my pants pulled down on the sidewalk of our small hometown and spanked by my mother because I'd lifted a (yes, one) penny-value Bazooka bubblegum from a barrel containing hundreds of them. I was roughly 6 years old and never stole again.

My point: less frequent spankings can have a deeper impact (no pun intended). As to if it should be allowed in school: HELL no. I don't want anybody besides myself or my wife laying a hand on my kids and messing with our system.

I was taking a training course in NYC last week and one of the other people left the room to answer her cell phone. She came back and told us it was her 10 year old daughter's school calling to get permission to "paddle" her for getting into a fight. She was from Arkansas. I was shocked that this was still going on anywhere in the country. I thought for sure she would tell us she denied permission but instead she said "sure, go ahead, I'd beat her ass myself if I weren't in New York." The whole scene made me very uncomfortable.

My sixth-grade teacher paddled kids. I can't say I approved. And I wasn't ever paddled myself.

I was spanked, but only rarely, by my parents, and I think it probably helped. They were smart and reserved spankings only for when I'd really fucked up, and they always announced it was going to happen first (making the anticipation worse than the actual blows), then explained to me why I was being spanked and what I needed to do to avoid a spanking for a similar transgression in the future.

If spankings are handled sensibly like that, I think they're probably an effective means of discipline.

I was spanked occasionally. I remember when I was 4 my father spanked me and I turned around and laughed and said that it didn't hurt. He spanked me again. I never did that again.

I think that obedience/respect must be taught in other ways. When he was in college, my brother wanted to take his motorcycle to school 500 or so miles away. My mother didn't want him to, so she laid down in the driveway to stop him. He promptly drove right around her and off to school. Case in point.

I was spanked occasionally. I remember when I was 4 my father spanked me and I turned around and laughed and said that it didn't hurt. He spanked me again. I never did that again.

I think that obedience/respect must be taught in other ways. When he was in college, my brother wanted to take his motorcycle to school 500 or so miles away. My mother didn't want him to, so she laid down in the driveway to stop him. He promptly drove right around her and off to school. Case in point.

she should have spanked him.

i can make any one of my kids cry just by looking at them so i haven't found the need.

my dad can do that with me and becca.

i was spanked as a kid, not often, and not hard, only when it was really deserved (ie- beating the shit out of my sister when i was 5). i cried really hard more from the "omg my parents hate me" than the physical pain. i think i probably got the belt at least 5-6 times though. that suuuucked.

my nana used to make my dad and his brother go into the yard and pick their own hickory switch that she would spank them with.

One time me and my sister were trying to smash eachother fingers in a door hinge or something, and my dad didn't want us to get hurt so he smashed our heads together. Hilarious in retrospect, and we never did it again. Also, i was quite a handful as a kid and spankings were seldom used but always a threat.

my dad tied me and my sister together by the hand and locked us out of the house in the winter for 3 hours once for doing something like that...

I got the belt a few times for major fuck ups, but normally I would get grounded. Grounded for real. My Mom was a stay home Mom and would put the most heavy handed prison warden to shame. Grounded meant grounde. No TV, no phone, nothing.

When my Dad was off in summer (he was a school principal) it was even worse. Both of them would be on patrol.

I always wished they would have just smacked me and get it over with instead of grounding me

Please explain your comment, because it really sounds to me like you're passing judgement with that unhappy smiley face, and maybe that's not what you meant.

I was being playful - though I thought the second part of your post contradicted the first part. All in all, it is quite a subjective question.

:cheekkiss

Guest tandylacker

Spanking is fine! Don't spank them to calm your anger though. Spank to get their attention.

So that means not that hard.

Don't beat your kids! My wife's dad spanked her with a belt apparently. She doesn't really remember it, so it must not have traumatized her too much. Although, she does have a fear of belts. I think its unrelated though.

I never spanked my kid - and I think once they hit Jr High it's too late......too bad, because as of late I would like to whip that kid on her butt with a 3x4. :hmm

I can't believe I was ever as nasty to my mom as my daughter is to me. I know I could be a beast - but she takes the cake. I think she needs to go to Sally Jessie's boot camp. I probably needed it too when I was her age. ;)

I never spanked my kid - and I think once they hit Jr High it's too late......too bad, because as of late I would like to whip that kid on her butt with a 3x4. :hmm

I can't believe I was ever as nasty to my mom as my daughter is to me. I know I could be a beast - but she takes the cake. I think she needs to go to Sally Jessie's boot camp. I probably needed it too when I was her age. ;)

she needs a job. in a sweat shop, making sneakers for ten cents a day. that'll learn her.