To Spank Or Not To Spank

I'm starting to wonder a little about the 4 year old though. Last week he got in his grandpa's truck, started it, rolled up the windows, locked the doors, got out, and shut the doors. How the heck does a 4 year old know how to do all of that?

When I was five, my aunt left me in the car and ran into a grocery store to pick up something. She left the keys in the ignition, and I shifted the car out of park, put it into neutral, and released the parking brake. Well, the parking lot was on a slope, and the car began to roll backwards. Surprisingly enough, it did not make contact with any other vehicles. Rather, it rolled out of the parking lot, crossed over the road, and eventually stopped in the empty parking lot across the street. The look on my aunt's face when she came out of grocery store and couldn't find her car for a minute or so was priceless (priceless now that I think about it - it was haunting and frightening when it was happening).

It's amazing what children pick up. Judging by my track record, you may want to stock up on wooden spoons for your 4 year-old.

p.s. I was a lot of fun as a child :yes

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've smacked my son's hand once (when he was poking at a light socket as a small child). he got smacked on the butt once during a temper tantrum as i carried him up stairs and his kicking almost got him dropped on the steps. outside of those rare and somewhat dangerous situations, he's not been spanked.

i do think in some circumstances, corporal punishment is appropriate. i'd like to see it return to public high schools (but not so much elementary schools).

I hate this argument, because it's so shrouded in red herrings of cruelty, child neglect, amateur psychology, childrearing theory, and everyone's own personal experiences from their childhood. And get people who've never raised kids into the discussion and it gets even weirder. It's almost impossible to discuss objectively.

As a parent of two young kids, my take is that it's a personal choice -- it's really going to be based on your parenting style and your kids' emotional makeup. Some kids just won't respond to anything else. As a parent, you only have so many tools in your belt (or bullets in your gun). Once you've gone past time-outs, groundings, and privileges removed, sometimes a spanking is all that's left.

I hate this argument, because it's so shrouded in red herrings of cruelty, child neglect, amateur psychology, childrearing theory, and everyone's own personal experiences from their childhood. And get people who've never raised kids into the discussion and it gets even weirder. It's almost impossible to discuss objectively.

As a parent of two young kids, my take is that it's a personal choice -- it's really going to be based on your parenting style and your kids' emotional makeup. Some kids just won't respond to anything else. As a parent, you only have so many tools in your belt (or bullets in your gun). Once you've gone past time-outs, groundings, and privileges removed, sometimes a spanking is all that's left.

Sure sounds like you take a position on this argument using amateur psychology and your own childrearing theory. :no

its also a cultural thing.

being of macedonian background, when i made trouble as a little kid, my folks would give me a good wallop over the arse

i dont have kids yet but when i do, i'm looking forward to giving them the same treatment :dancing

i just remembered another form of punishment i got when i was little. my mum was changing my nappys and i was throwing a tantrum while she was doing it. so she gets the safety pin and jabs me on the arse cheek. it wasnt a small prick, but a good deep stab. lucky i was a fat baby, so i was well insulated :lol

it sure shut me up though

One time me and my sister were trying to smash eachother fingers in a door hinge or something, and my dad didn't want us to get hurt so he smashed our heads together. Hilarious in retrospect, and we never did it again. Also, i was quite a handful as a kid and spankings were seldom used but always a threat.

One time me and my sister were trying to smash eachother fingers in a door hinge or something, and my dad didn't want us to get hurt so he smashed our heads together. Hilarious in retrospect, and we never did it again. Also, i was quite a handful as a kid and spankings were seldom used but always a threat.

if its good for the three stooges, its good for anyone!

oh, i spanked a 26 girl a few days back... and thoroughly enjoyed it :yes

well, i never needed a spanking, i guess i was just timid or something.

but i don't necessarily agree with spanking in and of itself. i guess it's similar to tapping the nose of a dog, or whatever it is, but the concept of spanking doesn't bode well with me.

edit: a better solution would be to raise your kids better, i guess.

Sure sounds like you take a position on this argument using amateur psychology and your own childrearing theory. :no

Please explain your comment, because it really sounds to me like you're passing judgement with that unhappy smiley face, and maybe that's not what you meant.

i don't think i was ever spanked as a child, though i most likely deserved it! i do remember one time where my father was yelling at me (i come from a family of yellers), i was around 5, and boy did i think i was gonna get it!!! so i'm running up the stairs, trying to get to my room before he catches me, which he did in fact, and tickled me so freakin hard, i pissed my pants.

to this day, i don't like ANYONE walking up stairs behind me.

i was also grounded for a large portion of my childhood :P

i don't think i'm having children so i don't really have an opinion about this.

Another one of those things I probably should have not posted here.

that's not true, silly!! come to think of it, when i was in high school, my mother tried to smack me, i caught her wrist & twisted it.

ha, i had forgotten about that.

I ain't proud of it - and I know some people view me as a psycho - but I am actually not into violence.

yeah you're screaming psycho when i read your posts. (you have to know i'm joking right?!?)

self defense against a parent sucks, but now my mom & i are fine. i am a little nervous about her upcoming trip to israel to volunteer on an army base.

Once I had really misbehaved & my old man got his belt ready....mom was nearby at the kitchen door looking on.. I should say Dad had short pants on..he cuts loose with the first swing of the belt & I kick my legs up & hurdle it,sorta..the belt swings around & SMACKS the old man on his bare legs.I look up & Mom bursts out laughing!

...I finally woke up 2 days later after that little escapade :D

(Jus' keeding...about the waking up 2 days later.The rest is true story)

As far as spanking in school,damn that's a thread in itself.And probably one that shouldn't be talked about here..that could get ugly,no?

As far as spanking in school,damn that's a thread in itself.And probably one that shouldn't be talked about here..that could get ugly,no?

I had a teacher in high school who liked to (jokingly) say that it's only corporal punishment if the classroom door's open...

I think I was only spanked once. Otherwise, I was sent to my room, had privilages revoked, etc. Really, I don't like to see people get upset, so if I ever made my parents angry, I was already besdie myself, simply because they were in a bad mood, being scared of what was to come was secondary...

I stamped my foot at my mother once, and she chased me up the street to spank me. :lol

When my crimes were especially egregious, I was sent to my room to await my pancake-turner

wielding father.

I was paddled at Cutler Ridge Jr. High by Vice Principal Otto Spradley, an action sanctioned by my

mother. :brow He first explained he had drilled holes in his paddle to maximize the impact. Bastard.

I spanked my kids on occasion when they were little -- particularly the boy, the girl was never much

trouble.

The kids are taught in school very early that they have 'rights' and no one can touch them or hurt them. They are taught to report their parents to Child Protective Svcs. I have heard so many kids saying "Im gonna call CPS on you" when they don't like what their parents dish out.

Is there a mammal that doesn't physically discipline their little ones? Sometimes the swat on the butt is

the best attention getter when kids are doing something dangerous. A quick spank is not a beating.

My 8mo old grandson already knows by the tone of my voice what things are verboten -- power strips and

wood stove, particularly. One hardy "NO" and he stops dead in his tracks, looks back at me, looks back at the object of his desire, and cries.

Spanking produces the best results when used on adults however.

paddled ... by Vice Principal Otto Spradley

Did he have a strange accent and suddenly appear in town in 1945?

School: just like this:-

Kes5.jpg

Occassional slaps at home. The most distressing thing I remember (must have been about 5 to 7) is a few times when things all got too much for my Mum, she pretended to be Italian and not understand us. Where that came from I have no idea. She did have a bit of Sophia Loren about her on a good day though and was Miss Cardiff Seamstress 1959.