greatest guitarist of all time?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot Jeff "Skunk" Baxter (Steely Dan/Doobie Brothers), an often-overlooked gem. Not only a wicked guitarist, but he tears it up on the pedal steel as well.

No one else sees the genius of Robbie Robertson, eh? That's cool. In my opinion, I've never heard a better rock guitarist. Every lick is perfect.

i don't want to be to over the top of a fan, but Tweedy's guitar solos are some of the few that get a huge response out of me.

Jack White also gets quite a bit out of just a guitar.

Nels has never failed to puzzle me in some new way at a Wilco show of how the hell he's producing some sound or another, and I've stood near him at every show, kindof accidentally, but never regretfully.

and finally, i'd say Link Wray is pretty amazing.

i have a hard time rating musicians, technical ability is boring, it's all about the feeling, mannnnn.

Oh yeah,Steve Kimock.I saw him play with Trey once and he completely blew him away.

I've seen Steve Kimock numerous times (w/ KVHW, Steve Kimock Band, Zero, etc.) and he is simply astounding, especially live. Technically and virtuostically speaking, he is ridiculously talented; improvisationally, he is in another world. That may sound like hyperbole, granted, but Kimock is truly a gifted guitarist. You really have to experience it first hand to appreciate him, though. I'm not even into the whole jam band thing that much anymore, but I still admire the hell out of this guy. The story goes that Steve Kimock was one of the guitarists that Jerry Garcia most admired in his final years.

I've seen Steve Kimock numerous times (w/ KVHW, Steve Kimock Band, Zero, etc.) and he is simply astounding, especially live. Technically and virtuostically speaking, he is ridiculously talented; improvisationally, he is in another world. That may sound like hyperbole, granted, but Kimock is truly a gifted guitarist. You really have to experience it first hand to appreciate him, though. I'm not even into the whole jam band thing that much anymore, but I still admire the hell out of this guy. The story goes that Steve Kimock was one of the guitarists that Jerry Garcia most admired in his final years.

I agree that Kimock is amazingly good.Here's something that's always intrigued me:when Phil started up with Phil & Friends way back when,Steve was his main guy.Then I went to see a P+F show in Oct. '99 (Oxford,OH),and Steve was not there.Apparently he quit the band the DAY before.As far as I know he's never shared a stage with Phil since.When Phil's autobiography came out a year or two ago,he did a book signing,in Chicago I believe,and had a little Q&A as well.He reportedly told the folks there that he'd be glad to answer any questions they might have,with one glaring exception:he would NOT discuss Steve Kimock :dontgetit Nowhere in his book does Phil say anything about Steve's dismissal/quitting the band.I've heard nasty stories & allegations on GD boards before,but of course it's all speculation (third-hand as well).All I can say is it must have been some heavy shit because no one in his right mind would let a guy this good go.Really a shame.

I already stated my opinion (Hendrix), but I don't understand how this thread could possibly have reached three pages without anyone mentioning either Richard Thompson or Leo Kottke.

Did anyone mention Zappa?

LouieB