• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Summerteeth sounds wonderful. The multiple layers put into each song always seemed to be the point to me, Tweedy wanted the layers of ornate arrangements to contrast the lyrics, which can be quite unsettling. To me it's supposed to sound a little overcooked, that was the idea, and in the same way that Woody Allen's constant third wall breaking in Annie Hall almost enhances the reality of the film for me, Bennett's layering enhances the power of the songs on the album. Sometimes it borders on going a little too far (in Annie Hall it's the Snow White scene, in Summerteeth it's that synth on ELT), but both are masterpieces.

--Mike

It's interesting that anyone would believe the Summerteeth "overproduced" thing is a result of any propaganda, Kot's or otherwise. All you have to do is listen to it. I agree that the songs are phenomenal. And with enough repetition I no longer cringe at some of the arrangements in there. The things that I love about Wilco have now overwhelmed the other stuff. There's no doubt, though, that several of the songs would benefit greatly from sparser arrangements. I would argue that "Shot in the Arm" is one of these, along with others mentioned. Some of the devices here -- the ooh-ooh harmonies, the hand claps (my God), the synthesizers...jeesh, they're hackneyed if anybody does them, let alone one of the most innovative bands out there. If you can't believe your ears, do you really believe that Kot made up the quotes from Coomer, Stirratt...even Tweedy? I've never seen Bennett disavow the arrangements in there, but everyone else certainly has. Great, great album, marred slightly by suspect arrangements.

I think Summerteeth sounds wonderful. The multiple layers put into each song always seemed to be the point to me, Tweedy wanted the layers of ornate arrangements to contrast the lyrics, which can be quite unsettling. To me it's supposed to sound a little overcooked, that was the idea, and in the same way that Woody Allen's constant third wall breaking in Annie Hall almost enhances the reality of the film for me, Bennett's layering enhances the power of the songs on the album. Sometimes it borders on going a little too far (in Annie Hall it's the Snow White scene, in Summerteeth it's that synth on ELT), but both are masterpieces.

--Mike

I couldn't agree more, and the overcooked nature of the sound is completely on purpose, in my opinion. It further emphasizes the juxtaposition of the sound and lyrics, and the dark nature of the lyrics is what cements the overcooked sound as a sort of facade of pop giddiness and glee..

I really like the studio version of ELT, they synth sounds great, it's just a really rockin, summer, song. I don't think it translates well on the solo versions, not like some of the folkier Wilco songs.

I like the production, I think it's a great example of how protools can be fucking GLORIOUS. I think if The Beatles were around these days, they'd be experimenting in a way a lot like Summerteeth. That's my 2 cents.

Nice contribution...basically like Tweedy's quote straight out of the Kot book. But I do agree with you about ELT. Love that song, particularly at absurdly high volumes...

I'll take it the way it is. I love the Beatles, the Beach Boys, and The Band, and I immediately connected Summerteeth to those three bands when I first heard it (back when it came out). It was my introduction into Wilco (other than Mermaid Avenue). Because I didn't have any other point of reference, I could simply appreciate it for what it provided, and I loved it.

I love the live and solo versions as well, but I think solo versions would eventually weigh me down with its naked, dark lyrics. The sugar sweet music and production helps me cope with the depths of darkness that Jeff plunges into with the lyrics.

Also, since I didn't have any point of reference to Wilco's story at the time of hearing ST, I loved and still to this day love Can't Stand It - what a jolt!

I remember reading something a long time ago where Jeff compared Summerteeth to somebody "complaining in the middle of a waterfall." I liked that.

I've also heard him say the songs were like talking about your problems in the Grand Canyon.

--Mike

While I consider ST to be an excellent album, here are some things that keep ST out of my "perfect album" category...

- We're Just Friends (boring song)

- Alt version of Shot in the arm, alt versions on albums drive me nuts!

- In a Future Age (Tweedy's solo version I enjoy, but the album version not so much)

- When You Wake Up Feeling Old not being a pure honky tonk country tune

- Lack of a rocking, grab you by the neck rock song

I know I"m nit picking, but hey, I have to split hairs only because it is such a good album!

Guest Francis X. Hummel

I think I'll always say Being There is my favorite Wilco record, but every time I listen to Summerteeth I'm not always sure about that.

Well said. That's very true for me as well. I flop back and forth between Being There and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot when asked about my favorite Wilco record, and for some reason tend to leave Summerteeth out of the discussion. Which is criminal really.

Nonetheless, I think Summerteeth is Wilco's 3rd best record. There's really not a bad song on it (I'm not too big a fan of My Darling) and there are some absolute classics - She's a Jar, A Shot in the Arm, I'm Always in Love, Via Chicago - and a whole bunch of other good songs. It's still definitely a top 20 all time favorite record for me.

If anything, ranking Summerteeth 3rd is just a testament to how remarkable Being There and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot really are in my mind.

I also seem to neglect Summerteeth for some reason when it comes to the favorite record question. And every time I listen to it I wonder why? Having said that, AGIB is always gonna be tops for me.

Well said. That's very true for me as well. I flop back and forth between Being There and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot when asked about my favorite Wilco record, and for some reason tend to leave Summerteeth out of the discussion. Which is criminal really.

Nonetheless, I think Summerteeth is Wilco's 3rd best record. There's really not a bad song on it (I'm not too big a fan of My Darling) and there are some absolute classics - She's a Jar, A Shot in the Arm, I'm Always in Love, Via Chicago - and a whole bunch of other good songs. It's still definitely a top 20 all time favorite record for me.

If anything, ranking Summerteeth 3rd is just a testament to how remarkable Being There and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot really are in my mind.

I'm the exact same way. Funny - Being There and YHF mark the entrance and exit of Jay Bennett. But then Summerteeth comes creeping back in - it was my first Wilco [studio] record and a damn fine introduction to the group. But I tend to get synthed out from time to time. BT and YHF, to me, represent the two points when Wilco was truly making a statement about their identity and their music.

Summerteeth ain't perfect, but it's very close. My thoughts in bold:

While I consider ST to be an excellent album, here are some things that keep ST out of my "perfect album" category...

- We're Just Friends (boring song) Agree. For me, it's the Radio Cure of Summerteeth.

- Alt version of Shot in the arm, alt versions on albums drive me nuts! It's a bonus song. Doesn't bother me at all.

- In a Future Age (Tweedy's solo version I enjoy, but the album version not so much) Tweedy's solo IS great. But the album version is kinda haunting, which I like.

- When You Wake Up Feeling Old not being a pure honky tonk country tune That'd be interesting. But I like the Sgt. Pepper-ish sound of it.

- Lack of a rocking, grab you by the neck rock song Always In Love works for me. ELT also.

I feel like ELT serves that purpose as the straight-ahead rocker. What if they had put Student Loan Stereo on the album, would that have helped?

I have no clue what Student Loan Stereo is. I consider ELT more of a pop tune, I'm talking a Spiders, Bull Black Nova, Kicking Television type song. However, I do understand that the band that recorded ST is very different lineup wise than the band that created those 3 songs. Anyways what is Student Loan Stereo?