I saw Bob Dylan in Hoffman Estates two nights ago, with the Kings of Leon as the opening act. The Kings were incredible. The new songs are unbelievable, by far the best music they've made so far. I was completely blown away, even as someone who really likes the Kings. I reccomend seeing them, a lot.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is no way they played 1/6 as good as Dylan last night. it was the best Dylan show I've seen. Kings of Leon were pretty bad... not that interesting and the singer had a very annoying Axl Rose thing going on. Just my opinion of course.

I didn't care for Kings of Leon much either, it was just so, done. I think they are pretty good musicians but, it wasn't anything special. And for some reason, I actually managed to fall asleep during their set. Not out of boredom, just sheer exhaustion.

Bob's set didn't do a lot for me. You're not realy seeing Bob do much. The songs are so incredibly different live that his original writing of them hardly matters. It's really just about his band, which is, after all, a pack of mercenaries.

Bob's set didn't do a lot for me. You're not realy seeing Bob do much. The songs are so incredibly different live that his original writing of them hardly matters. It's really just about his band, which is, after all, a pack of mercenaries.

The songs are not that different. Key changes, tempo changes, phrasing, etc., all keep the songs exciting in different arrangements. Dylan treats his songs as something that grows and evolves. The album versions are just documentation of how a song sounds at the time is recorded. People who can't get past that are missing tons and tons of great music.

I went on friday two

second time I've seen the kings open for people

first time they were godawful, this time they were a little more mature, but still pretty bad

just not my style of music I guess.

Dylan was incredible though, best performance I've seen him give

love dylan, but he sucks live his band was exceptional but he gave me a headache when I saw him in columbus a few months ago I thought it was just effortless crap, know I may receive some flac for that, kings of leon have energy, there are many other things I would rather do than go see another dylan concert like watching slush melt

The songs are not that different. Key changes, tempo changes, phrasing, etc., all keep the songs exciting in different arrangements. Dylan treats his songs as something that grows and evolves. The album versions are just documentation of how a song sounds at the time is recorded. People who can't get past that are missing tons and tons of great music.

I disagree. I think the original versions of the songs have the perfect timing to emotionally charge his great story telling ability. When you hear the songs with the timing that badly off, but the music is still there the emotional attachment of the lyrics just isn't there for me. This is obviously my opinion, but the song lose most of the meaning for me. Masters of War is such a strong statement, but last night I didn't feel the urgency in the music. My $0.02, but I will be listing to the albums again today so I can feel the power of the lyrics once again.

I disagree. I think the original versions of the songs have the perfect timing to emotionally charge his great story telling ability. When you hear the songs with the timing that badly off, but the music is still there the emotional attachment of the lyrics just isn't there for me. This is obviously my opinion, but the song lose most of the meaning for me. Masters of War is such a strong statement, but last night I didn't feel the urgency in the music. My $0.02, but I will be listing to the albums again today so I can feel the power of the lyrics once again.

I was there Saturday night...stayed home Friday to watch the Cardinals win the World Series. Some of his songs are delivered differently from when they were recorded. You can't expect him to feel the exact same level of energy and emotion he had when he recorded something every time he plays it. A song like 4th Street is now sung with a hint of regret. I find that refreshing. It challenges everyone in the band, his long time fans, and Bob himself. I saw Masters of War in Portland a few weeks ago and enjoyed it very much. A song like that with such amazing lyrics and relevance, much like Hattie Carroll or Holllis Brown, is more engaging to me when the band plays a subtle background role.

I saw Bob Dylan in Hoffman Estates two nights ago, with the Kings of Leon as the opening act. The Kings were incredible. The new songs are unbelievable, by far the best music they've made so far. I was completely blown away, even as someone who really likes the Kings. I reccomend seeing them, a lot.

there is no way they played 1/6 as good as Dylan last night. it was the best Dylan show I've seen. Kings of Leon were pretty bad... not that interesting and the singer had a very annoying Axl Rose thing going on. Just my opinion of course.
Oh come on.....I saw this show on Saturday night and while KoL were okay, they were not even close to Dylan who put on a great show with a great band and classic material. KoL were totally generic and bland, but not offensive.

More on all this later.

LouieB

Oh come on.....I saw this show on Saturday night and while KoL were okay, they were not even close to Dylan who put on a great show with a great band and classic material. KoL were totally generic and bland, but not offensive.

More on all this later.

LouieB

ummm... I agree with you. That's what my post said. Maybe you looked at the wrong post?

Well as I said, KoL were okay.

But I do have a question about them. Is one of their songs being used for a car commercial? My son swore he had heard one of the songs they sang in a commercial; or are they simply THAT generic?

LouieB

Well as I said, KoL were okay.

But I do have a question about them. Is one of their songs being used for a car commercial? My son swore he had heard one of the songs they sang in a commercial; or are they simply THAT generic?

LouieB

If you mean Molly's Chambers, yes, it was used in a Volkswagon ad. Personally, that song rocks my ass off.