• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you mean Molly's Chambers, yes, it was used in a Volkswagon ad. Personally, that song rocks my ass off.
Thanks, I will pass that on to Brother Ray.
i just find them rather generic rock, sorry, i know you like them but they do very little for me musically either, regardless of the vocals.
We are in complete agreement. These guys are doing nothing new, although what they do ain't bad. Frankly I thought they would be a fine act to see at the Double Door or Metro, rather than an arena.

LouieB

While innovation is something I find most admirable, there is a lot to be said for music that is just fun. Kings of Leon are really good at making me smile and dance and jump around at their concerts. There aren't many that can turn on an instant good mood for me like Youth and Young Manhood. I thought their second album wasn't really as good as Youth.

I don't think the music is that "new" but I do think they have some originality in their lyrics. Joe's Head and Tranny are two of my favorites, and Molly's Chambers rocks my sauce too, even with the VW commercial.

I don't get why people give so much shit to commercial songs or whatnot. I'm sorry, but at the time Molly's Chambers got added to the VW commercial, no one had yet heard of Kings of Leon. I'm young, an aspiring musician, broke, and no one knows who I am. A corporation approaches me to add one of my best songs to their latest commercial, which will be in heavy rotation on every major channel. What kind of idiot would say no? And for that matter, if my job was finding music for tv shows, commercials, etc, I would spin bands I loved, and try to help them out.

My perspective is definitely altered from working in the music business the past two years, but we all need money man. Unfortunately, that's the system.

Isn't their story like that Ray what's his name guy - in that they never listened to music growing up? - their dad was some sort of con artist/preacher dude?

and yes, I believe they were raised Pentacostal. (sp?)

did anyone rag on them for being in an ad?
Not at all, I just found it funny that my son recognized them from an ad. The kid clearly watches too much TV.

The title of this thread DOES suggest they were better than Bobby D.....they weren't. Being orginal is not that big a deal either really. They are a very lucky band, getting to open for Dylan and getting their song picked for an ad. Not bad for a bunch of kids. (But as my son pointed out, unlike Dylan, they didn't do an ad for Victorias Secret.)

LouieB

i'm all for listening to music just because it's "fun", shit, that's my main reason that i love Guster

i guess i don't find KoL all that fun either, they seem to take themselves pretty seriously, maybe that's it.

i'm all for listening to music just because it's "fun", shit, that's my main reason that i love Guster

i guess i don't find KoL all that fun either, they seem to take themselves pretty seriously, maybe that's it.

Boy that was for sure.......these guys ARE dead serious about playing generic R&R. As I mentioned in my thread, they even complimented the Saturday crowd for being more responsive than the Friday crowd. Tough fucking shit.....they are an opening act for a legend..the fact that anyone paid any attention either night should have been enough for them.

LouieB

Based on the fact that they are so young (aren't some of those guys still under 21?) and they've released two solid albums thus far, I am of the belief that they are on course to be the best straight up rock and roll band in America by the time the are 30 years old.

They could easily blow it, though.

I don't know about the VW commercial coming out when they were unknowns. I think that came out after they had been on tour opening for the Strokes...a pretty high profile slot for any musician to be in. (By the way, they blew the Strokes off the stage when they played together in Atlanta, but that's nor saying much.)

that's sort of ironic because you've complained at length about people not paying attention to opening acts in the past.

I did pay attention and I did applaud them. Not sure what else you wanted me to do.

That doesn't mean they should cope an attitude about an audience that either is or is not listening to them when they are lucky enough to be opening for Bob Dylan.

As for the other comment about being the best straight up rock group by the time they are 30.....the highway is littered with groups that have tried to do that and end up has beens.

LouieB

Well as I said, KoL were okay.

But I do have a question about them. Is one of their songs being used for a car commercial? My son swore he had heard one of the songs they sang in a commercial; or are they simply THAT generic?

LouieB

And everybody knows that selling a song for use in a car commercial doesn't have the same cache as selling one for use by Victoria's Secret.

no offense meant, but: :rotfl
Yea..no shit!!!! We (or shall I say they) shall be fortunate if Fountains of Wayne, er...Kings of Leon are still a group anyone is interested in in two years.

And everybody knows that selling a song for use in a car commercial doesn't have the same cache as selling one for use by Victoria's Secret.
Well fortunately there are lots of car companies that use indie rock, etc. for their commericals. I always plotz when I hear what appers to be that Richard Buckner spot. (Is it him or is it someone who sounds a whole lot like him?)

LouieB

We shall see. What other YOUNG straight up rock and roll bands are there these days? Almost every young band that is popular nowadays is either gimmick or schtick.

i am bad with ages but MMJ buries KOL.

for that matter so do the Black Keys.