• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhhh....DBT and MMJ?

Edit: Or are they too old.

Actually, DBT are pretty old. Much older than KOL. I don't like their music, so I don't consider them a contender. Plus, they'll be ancient by the time the average age of the KOL guys hits 30. My Morning Jacket could be around for a while. DBT will probably be around for a long time, too, but like I said I don't care for them. I think they're sound is too one dimensional and folks might get sick of them after another five years or so. It's too bad, I wanted to like them ever since seeing them in a rathole bar in Atlanta 10 or 12 years ago.

since the guys from fountains of wayne started making music together in '86 I'm thinking that 15 year litmus test might be a bit too arbitrary to be of any practical and lasting purpose. For instance, I doubt we'll be using it 15 years from now.

Calling the Truckers one dimensional in comparison to the Kings of Leon :o ?

Just sayin....

I think there's more musical variety on Aha Shake Heartbreak than on any of the Truckers albums I've heard. Granted, KOL's vocals are one dimensional.

I'm not saying KOL are the best rock band right now, I'm just saying they could be in another 10 years if they continue putting out solid albums and grow as a live band.

I have seen the Kings of Leon twice now. Once opening for the Strokes and one opening for U2. Neither time they impressed me or most of the crowd it seems. The crowd were really restless especially opening for U2. They might be way better in a small club but they got a long way to go to impress in an arena.

Actually, DBT are pretty old. Much older than KOL. I don't like their music, so I don't consider them a contender. Plus, they'll be ancient by the time the average age of the KOL guys hits 30. My Morning Jacket could be around for a while. DBT will probably be around for a long time, too, but like I said I don't care for them. I think they're sound is too one dimensional and folks might get sick of them after another five years or so. It's too bad, I wanted to like them ever since seeing them in a rathole bar in Atlanta 10 or 12 years ago.

fwiw, DBT formed in '96, so if you saw them that year (which would be 10 years ago), consider yourself pretty lucky. i don't know that they played out of Athens much until '98

but yeah, to call DBT one dimensional, then champion KoL, is amusing, as someone pointd out.

also, i just looked, the KoL guys aren't all "that young", Nathan is 27, Caleb & Matthew are 24, and Jared is going to be 20.

Is that a band?
yea, I saw them open for Wilco...they were pretty straight ahead and really goddamn loud.

LouieB

Yeah, it's actually Rose Hill Drive though. They are pretty straight ahead rock n' roll - if you like Kings Of Leon, you'll like them.

Oh sorry, I must have been thinking of Rosehill Cemetary near my house. I thought they had sort of a Stooges vibe myself.

LouieB

Oh sorry, I must have been thinking of Rosehill Cemetary near my house. I thought they had sort of a Stooges vibe myself.

LouieB

You were one space and a capital out - that's all! They're certainly heavier than Kings Of Leon, without any oo the twang that they sometimes have, but I'd still recommend them to a KOL fan - it's all fairly similar to me at the end of the day. Yeah, they do have a Stooges feel too, and a bit of Zeppelin at times.

Rose Hill Drive, from Boulder, CO. A bunch of young guys who straight out rock, old-school.

I'd add that having a commercial use your tune is not a big deal these days, what with the nature of the beast technology is. T.v. seems to be a viable source of promoting one's music these days, weather it's ad spots or sound clips of t.v. shows, made-for-t.v. movies, etc.

fwiw, DBT formed in '96, so if you saw them that year (which would be 10 years ago), consider yourself pretty lucky. i don't know that they played out of Athens much until '98

but yeah, to call DBT one dimensional, then champion KoL, is amusing, as someone pointd out.

also, i just looked, the KoL guys aren't all "that young", Nathan is 27, Caleb & Matthew are 24, and Jared is going to be 20.

It might have been '97 (absolutely no chance it was later than '98) when I saw them at Dottie's Bar in Atlanta. They had a pedal steel player that night. I liked that show better than anything I've heard from them since.

For the record, I am championing KOL as a band who I feel have great potential. I think DBT has already fulfilled their potential.

weird, DBT kinda sucked until SRO ('01) IMO

i really wish i liked KoL, i honestly do. i enjoyed the first EP a bit, but was totally let down by them live in '02 opening for The Coral, and especially w/ their 2 full lengths (though i prefer the 2nd one moreso)

so many friends & musicians/bands i know and love, champion KoL, they just don't do it for me unfortunately :no

weird, DBT kinda sucked until SRO ('01) IMO

i really wish i liked KoL, i honestly do. i enjoyed the first EP a bit, but was totally let down by them live in '02 opening for The Coral, and especially w/ their 2 full lengths (though i prefer the 2nd one moreso)

so many friends & musicians/bands i know and love, champion KoL, they just don't do it for me unfortunately :no

Gotta agree on DBT a bit. They were scrabbling around , for me, until SRO. Kings Of Leon I just never got at all. Hey where's Glacier when you need a balanced Dylan discussion!?

As long as we are talking about up and comers...who the hell is Rocco DeLuca and the Burden? They are playing a free show courtesy of XRT at the Hideout this Saturday and also they have some very high profile gigs this month. Anyone got some info?

LouieB

Yea..no shit!!!! We (or shall I say they) shall be fortunate if Fountains of Wayne, er...Kings of Leon are still a group anyone is interested in in two years.

I've never been interested in KoL, but I've been interested in FoW for 10 years now.

Thread title is rather wrong,for one you like kol more than dylan,so why bother dissing bob.You know what your getting with a dylan show so that probably let you down.

Comparing all these bands is stupid,I would rather see my buddies band play than a Stones concert,but I would never say they could blow them away unless I hated the Stones,which I don't.You must not really care for dylan to say this,and thats fine.Kol are way more energetic than dylan so that is probably what you meant,I have a friend that can only listen to upbeat songs,bugs the hell out of me,but oh well.

I for one don't mind kol,never saw them live and kind of scared to now.What turned me on to them was a cover of a Neil Young song that they did.Will they last?,I doubt it,will MMJ last?,yes.There are bands that can last the stand of time and Louie pointed a great one out and that is Rose Hill,and I'm not really too into them,but you can just tell that what they do,they will be doing forever.

Alot of other bands I would rather not see than kol,but it's really opinion.I like Jack White,but not Raconters,like the 97's but not Rhett Miller.Comparing shit never gets anything done,like what you like will be what someone else does,nope.