Comic Book Movie Adaptations

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Belated reporting of violation of Godwin's law

GodwinsLaw_CatPoster.jpg

I'm going to keep doing this as long as you guys resort to the lazy tactic of comparing everything you find distasteful or wrong to the Nazis or oblique references to said villians.

Dude, I don't want to be hostile, but my comparison was well-considered, not lazy. I will continue to call 'em as I see 'em, no matter how many times you post that Kitler pic. Technically, I am fulfilling, not violating the above-referenced law so :P

For some reason I could not place the actor that played Rorschach even though he looked so familiar. Then I realized it was Jackie Earle Haley from Bad News Bears and Breaking Away. I thought he was perfect for the part. Seems like he kind of disappeared from acting but I read he has been doing a bunch of directing. I loved the line

"I'm not trapped in hear with you, your trapped in hear with me"!

For some reason I could not place the actor that played Rorschach even though he looked so familiar. Then I realized it was Jackie Earle Haley from Bad News Bears and Breaking Away. I thought he was perfect for the part. Seems like he kind of disappeared from acting but I read he has been doing a bunch of directing. I loved the line

"I'm not trapped in hear with you, your trapped in hear with me"!

Dude, rent Little Children. It's the reason he and Wilson were cast in Watchmen.

Dude, I don't want to be hostile, but my comparison was well-considered, not lazy. I will continue to call 'em as I see 'em, no matter how many times you post that Kitler pic. Technically, I am fulfilling, not violating the above-referenced law so :P

I like getting duded.

Anyway...saw the movie today.

Some observations from someone who never read the GN:

1) Malin Akerman may have given the worst performance in a major motion picture that I have ever seen.

2) Jackie Earl Haley was wonderful

3) too much blue dong

Did you take your kids?? How was it??

LouieB

Although the question wasn't directed at me...I will answer.

Uncomfortable in all the uncomfortable spots.

Question: how come everyone ripped Batman for his voice and everyones loves Rorschach with the exact same voice? Is it just that the voice was different for Bruce Wayne/Batman?

That was the first thing I said when I came out of the movie. My husband didn't even notice the extreme similarity until I mentioned it.

I like getting duded.

Anyway...saw the movie today.

Some observations from someone who never read the GN:

1) Malin Akerman may have given the worst performance in a major motion picture that I have ever seen.

2) Jackie Earl Haley was wonderful

3) too much blue dong

YES, YES, and YES.

Has it done shitty business at the box office? That's a shame, I haven't seen it but it seemed like a valiant effort. Let's face it as well, any appearance of blue dong is too much.

:cheers

But how do you feeeeel about the blue dong...

I ain't seen the flick yet - but your comment about the actress in it makes me want to steer further clear - after the clips I'd seen, she was already the main reason I might not see it.

Well...gratuitous breastage also makes an appearance.

wow. i enjoyed it just fine...nothing revolutionary and nowhere near the best comic flick i've seen, but it was better than the spirit. *shrug*

I don't even have any "fanboy" nitpicks to make, it was just a bad movie.

I don't even have any "fanboy" nitpicks to make, it was just a bad movie.

I would disagree on the bad part simply because Jackie Earl Haley OWNED the Rorschach role. I went into the movie knowing virtually nothing about the Watchmen. I wasn't lost at all, and I even bought in to the alternative history conceit. But the acting of Malin Akerman was so bad that it almost overshadows the glory that was Jackie Earl Haley.

Plus, how often do you get to hear a Leonard Cohen song played in such an odd context with the killer movie sound?

• 4 weeks later...

The Marvel Super Heroes

The Marvel Super Heroes is a Canadian-made animated television series starring five comic-book superheroes from Marvel Comics. It was first syndicated, on U.S. television, in 1966.

Produced by Grantray-Lawrence Animation, headed by Grant Simmons, Ray Patterson and Robert Lawrence, it was an umbrella series of five segments, each approximately seven minutes long, broadcast on local television stations that aired the show at different times. The series ran initially as a half-hour program made up of three seven-minute segments of a single superhero, separated by a short description of one of the other four heroes. It has also been broadcast as a mixture of various heroes in a half-hour timeslot, and as individual segments as filler or within a children's TV program.

The segments, and their original rotations, were:

* Monday: Captain America

* Tuesday: The Incredible Hulk

* Wednesday: The Invincible Iron Man

* Thursday: The Mighty Thor

* Friday: Prince Namor the Sub-Mariner

I recall watching these in the 70s:

The Marvel Super Heroes (Some dude has almost all of them up at Youtube)