• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

oh shit

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=17752

Watchmen Film Imperiled by WB/Fox Legal Battle

Mon, August 18th, 2008 at 2:56PM PST

Updated: Mon, August 18th, 2008 at 2:59PM PST

Nikki Finke is reporting at Deadline Hollywood that a federal judge has denied Warner Bros.

• 4 weeks later...
IRON MAN 2

Director Jon Favreau is quoted at Sci Fi Wire talking Avengers and the Mandarin. "It's tough, because it first starts off as, 'Hey, wouldn't it be fun if we stuck a Captain America shield in the background? Wouldn't it be fun if we had Sam Jackson play Nick Fury, like in The Ultimate Avengers?' Now, between Captain America, S.H.I.E.L.D., Nick Fury and the after-the-credit scene that then in the 11th hour became the final scene of 'The [incredible] Hulk,' that one was a big one for me. You're going to that guy, and you're forming a team. That's clearly not the day after 'Iron Man' ended. Where does that fit in the continuum? I don't want to just ignore it. I guess you could do what Marvel does and say it's an alternate universe [laughs]. They've gotten away with it for a couple of decades. But how do you make it all work within that world? Because I think it is fun, and I think 'Hulk' was successful in keeping in a tone that did not seem inconsistent with our film ... It's really all how you treat the person, and that's what informs what it is. And so the Mandarin, to have that kind of weight to him, it's really a matter of using all the narrative tricks to do it. But a dude running around in robes shooting these beams and rays that have powers, ... if you take them literally, [that] would throw off the balance of the whole universe ... How do you do it and keep the whole thing together and yet fulfill the expectations from the book? So we do have him, and I think it's something that, a little bit goes a long way. There are a lot of other characters and a lot of other countries that have become very interesting lately and fit very well into our universe."

SPIDER-MAN 4 and 5

Oh, yeah, Tobey Maguire will be back for two more, making a reported fifty million bucks ... but only if he gets mornings and evenings off to spend time with his daughter. A story in the Times Online notes that there are conditions in Maguire's contract that allows him time off during the six month back-to-back two movie shoot to spend time with his 22-month old Ruby Sweetheart Maguire.

Yay on the first one.

Not so much on the second...

relative to how big of an undertaking the whole avengers thing is, i'm cautiously optimistic. i'm definitley excited for an iron man sequel w/ the madarin and could be re-excited about additional spidey flicks, if they try to get back to more of a focused approach I saw in the second film. i just recently finished jeph loeb/tim sale's 'spiderman: blue' and forgot how much excellent source material there is to pull from, especially in the way of villains. that said, it also made me realize just how much they botched the whole gwen/mj/peter relationship via the third movie.

• 4 weeks later...
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the upcoming Iron Man 2 is now minus one Terrence Howard, but is adding actor Don Cheadle to replace him.

Cheadle will assume the role of Jim Rhodes, the best friend of Tony Stark/Iron Man, and also the military liaison to Stark Industries. There

• 2 weeks later...
Answering a lingering question about their future movie plans and marking a major coup, Marvel Studios officially announced Tuesday that both Robert Downey Jr. and Jon Favreau will be directly involved The Avengers movie in 2011, a year after they both reprise their respective roles in the 2010's Iron Man 2.

Marvel Studios clarified Downey Jr.'s deal with the studio is a four picture deal, paving the way for him to play Tony Stark/Iron Man in the Iron Man sequel, plus a future third installment, as well as the ensemble Avengers movie.

Favreau is of course directing Iron Man 2 and will executive produce The Avengers.

The studio also officially confirmed the news from last week that actor Don Cheadle has taken over the role of James 'Rhodey' Rhodes in Iron Man 2, adding that he is also signed to play in the role in the The Avengers movie and future sequels.

"We are very excited about working with the extraordinarily talented Don Cheadle as we expand the role of Rhodey in Iron Man 2. It has already become apparent as we prep the movie for production, that the dynamic between Robert and Don will take Iron Man 2 to new heights," said Kevin Feige, President of Marvel Studios, in the announcement.

In what the studio is calling a "movie event", The Avengers will bring together the superhero team of Marvel Comics characters for the first time ever, including "Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, the Hulk and more, as they are forced to band together to battle the biggest foe they've ever faced."

The highly-anticipated sequel to Iron Man will be released in theatres on May 7, 2010 and The Avengers will be released July 15, 2011. Both films will be distributed by Paramount Pictures.

this, along with the news of Kenneth Branagh directing Thor, has me very happy.

• 2 weeks later...
I just realized that Dan Dreiberg, is being played by the pedophile from Hard Candy

i actually watched that on free movie on demand this past weekend...fucked up flick. those posters are kind of nice.

was i seeing things when i read that McG is on tap to possibly direct fucking beyonce in a wonder woman flick?! funny enough, i actually like his work and think he'd make a decent comic book related flick...just not wonder woman and definitely not w/ beyonce as wonder woman.

BTW, tully, i plowed through the 'infinite crisis' trade last night and got half way through 'trinity' (my library had a HUGE graphic novel section)...it's safe to say, contrary to growing up a marvel guy, i'm reading WAY more DC stuff as i've gotten back into comics. also, devoured volume I and II of the innvincible ultimate collections. jesus, what a great comic.

This has probably already been posted but this is so awesome:

Iron Man 2 at on April 30, 2010; Thor on June 4, 2010; The First Avenger: Captain America (working title) on May 6, 2011; and The Avengers in July 2011. Also listed in the report as currently in development is Edgar Wright
i actually watched that on free movie on demand this past weekend...fucked up flick. those posters are kind of nice.

was i seeing things when i read that McG is on tap to possibly direct fucking beyonce in a wonder woman flick?! funny enough, i actually like his work and think he'd make a decent comic book related flick...just not wonder woman and definitely not w/ beyonce as wonder woman.

yeah, Hard Candy was freaky shit. I was whincing during that one scene.

I don't think I've seen any of McG's films, but he's one of the producers for Chuck, and his Terminator movie looks awesome, so he can't be all bad. This Wonder Woman rumor bothers me, and I'm not even a huge Wonder Woman fan. Beyonce chouldn't be cast as Wonder Woman, it just doesn't work (unless DC starts their own Ultimate-type line, and they do what Marvel did with Nick Fury).

I don't think I've seen any of McG's films, but he's one of the producers for Chuck, and his Terminator movie looks awesome, so he can't be all bad. This Wonder Woman rumor bothers me, and I'm not even a huge Wonder Woman fan. Beyonce chouldn't be cast as Wonder Woman, it just doesn't work (unless DC starts their own Ultimate-type line, and they do what Marvel did with Nick Fury).

he did both of the charlie's angels movies...mindless fun, but on such a scope you have to respect it. and yes, the ultimate nick fury is exactly what i thought of when i read that.

• 4 weeks later...
high-res Watchmen posters

I just realized that Dan Dreiberg, is being played by the pedophile from Hard Candy

He was in Little Children too - with Jackie Earle Haley. Wilson is my one glimmer of hope for this movie.

Those friggin trailers. I could and should do something better with the scenes they have. ie - jumping around in time ala the 3rd or 4th issue. It would introduce the scope, setting, characters and long timeline of the movie in 30 seconds. AND NOT HAVE ANY STUPID SLOMO. I mean, it's a comic, a piece of sequential art, a story board. All that is needed for a promo is already contained in that one issue:

There is a photograph in my hand.

It is 1948 and I am arriving Princeton University

It's February 1960. And everything is frozen. I am starting to accept that I shall never feel cold or warmth again

It's 1966, and she's packing: Tearful, careless with Anger

It's August 1959. We've been back for a month. In the future, the accident is waiting for me.

It's 1966. I'm in a room of people wearing disguises

It's October 1985. I've decided to create something

In 1977 a city is shouting.