Letters To Santa Dec. 12 and 13

Now is the time to assemble into secret groups and begin plotting against each other!

:ermm Maybe you could wait until Sue Tweedy drops by and explains the auctions. You know, it could be completely different this year.

dude, i think you've missed the point. CHARITY.

Last year I donated to the charity without going to the second city show or any of the living room ones, cause i think its a good cause.

So I haven't missed the point, I just recall some people got pretty crazy last year.

I don't know if this is in bad taste (I'm thinking to myself "yes, it is" but what the hell?)...if so, feel free to shut me down. I was just wondering, what kind of money do people tend to give for the private show auction? I think I read somewhere that from one of the shows, around $12 000 was raised...obviously from a group of people. So is it around $1000 per person?

I don't mean to be nosey, really I don't. It's just that ever since I've read some of the old posts from these types of shows, I would really love to be a part of something like it. And for me, it would take probably a year to save up that kind of cash to give to the charity. So I just wanted to know if it's feasable for me to save up that kind of cash in a year or so. This is assuming of course that the private show auctions continue...but I can hope.

Last year an auction group consisted of 30 people. The previous year, the group consisted of 20. So, your estimate is a bit high because you were dividing by 12. But $1000 is quite generous! You would be a very popular candidate, I would think. ;)

But if I were you, I would just hold tight until we even know WHAT is being auctioned. :)

Yeah, I think each of the groups did it differently, but I don't think anyone did anything resembling an entry fee or anything.

Both years our "strategy" was just to gather up friends we'd traveled to shows with and such, have everyone give as much as they could, and then cross our fingers (and fret some) that it would be enough.

So, some people gave $100, some people gave (obviously) quite a bit more.

As Wendy says, we don't even know if Jeff's doing the private show thing again -- it's gotta be draining while they're touring and recording and whatnnot, regardless of how charming we all are. :P

Yeah, I think each of the groups did it differently, but I don't think anyone did anything resembling an entry fee or anything.

Both years our "strategy" was just to gather up friends we'd traveled to shows with and such, have everyone give as much as they could, and then cross our fingers (and fret some) that it would be enough.

So, some people gave $100, some people gave (obviously) quite a bit more.

As Wendy says, we don't even know if Jeff's doing the private show thing again -- it's gotta be draining while they're touring and recording and whatnnot, regardless of how charming we all are. :P

The best part of the process (and I'm only speaking in terms of last year, because I didn't participate two years ago) is how incredibly cool people are in terms of who gives what. Like you said, some people could only give what they could afford. Those that gave more (sometimes substantially more) realized it was for charity first and foremost and no grief was given others. It was actually quite a nice experience/process.