what magazines, newspapers do you subscribe to?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Readymade

Res (but I think the last issue I got is the last they are doing for now)

McSweeney's Quarterly (not really a mag...it's books & stuff!)

there may be others...if there are, they must not be any good (the kind that just get put in a stack somewhere and are never read)

Blender

And that's it. I didn't even want Blender.

Used to get Sports Illustrated for years up until about 2 years ago. Just don't have a lot of time to peruse it like I used to.

I still get the sporatic copy of "The Small Condom Male" from exes, though.

The New Yorker

Atlantic Monthly

Sports Illustrated (I think ... I didn't have a subscription but I think someone got me one for Christmas)

Salon.com (online-only)

I think we also just got Newsweek for Christmas.

I haven't been that thrilled with the Atlantic lately ... I may let that lapse at some point. I used to subscribe to Uncut, but it was too expensive and I was starting to lose patience with their insistence on putting no one under 60 years old on the cover, among other things.

I also get some magazines I didn't actually subscribe to (from AAA and the Society for Technical Communication, along with my college's alumni magazine).

"What am I going to do with forty subscriptions to Vibe?"

I'm not going to acknowledge the previous reply referring to me.

online subscriptions is what I mostly receive: NY Times, The Onion

I'm not going to acknowledge the previous reply referring to me.

I guess I just acknowledged it by saying this. :hmm

the last time i saw my (crazy, jewish) grandmother, she told me about how every time she re-subscribes to the new yorker, she absolutely refuses to let them increase the price. and apparently, after an undetermined amount of haggling, she always gets her way. i have no idea how, but i'd say it has to do with the fact that she's been a subscriber for 50+ years, and that the woman is damned stubborn if nothing else. we got her a subscription to dissent magazine for christmas.

our household is now apparently getting the daily wall street journal (no clue why, though) and anthropologie, j. crew, and victoria's secret catalogs.

We actually subscribe to Paste and Gourmet.

Other mags we get, are gifts (mostly from my little grandma): FibroAware, Parents (couldn't hurt) :P , Midwest Living (I actually like this, cool stuff about our region, including Chi town, etc.) and then Better Homes & Gardens (???) :blink

And then I just discovered I got a subscription to Ladies Home Journal for Xmas...wtf? :dontgetit

And we did get our local paper for awhile (it comes out once a week), but then I realized they were putting all the "content" LOL online for free...so...???

Does anyone subscribe to his/her local newspaper?

No, despite their seemingly constant attempts to get me to do so. The Ann Arbor News is one of the worst newspapers I have ever seen -- worse even than the Kalamazoo Gazette, the paper I grew up with (the same owner presides over both). The News salespeople hounded us for years -- probably three to five calls per month, plus lots of other contacts -- before we finally told them that we thought their paper was a piece of shit. Somehow the pursuit eased up a bit after that.

I support the newspaper industry, really I do ... but there just isn't one around here that I can justify subscribing to. The Detroit Free Press is an OK paper, but it's in Detroit -- I'd never get any Ann Arbor news.

So, I get my info largely from teh Internets.