High School student gets 10 year prison sentence for blowjob

total. bullshit. Who do we write a letter to this about?

I wish i believed President Bush would pardon him, but I feel like that only happens for friends.

Clinton at least would have been sympathetic.

Wow, that's ridiculous and tragic. Remind me why there shouldn't be an exception to change "mandatory" sentencing in special cases like this one?

I suppose that depends on what you consider to be the role of the judicial system. Some would say the system is supposed to uphold the law while others would say that it's purpose is to deliver justice. Apparently the prosecutor in this case considers it to be the former.

I'd be interested in that link as well.

One of the most tragic and assanine uses of our justice system. I can only hope the attention this is getting will help this young guy out soon. :(

The prosecutor is a real piece of "work". :no

This line in the article really struck a nerve with me: At the same time this trial was under way, a local high school teacher, a white female, was found guilty of having a sexual relationship with a student -- a true case of child molestation. The teacher received 90 days. Wilson received 3,650 days.

WTF?

And then you have this:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/nation/4502189.html

2 get 5 years for fatal Seton Hall fire

By JEFFREY GOLD AP Writer

NEWARK, NJ - Two former roommates who admitted setting a dormitory fire that killed three students at Seton Hall University were sentenced Friday to five years in prison.

That's it? Five years? Sheesh.

thanks for the petition link.

It's always sad to see how much racism is still alive and well everywhere in the US.

:hmm

Yeah, thats my first thought in this case. I just can't see how it couldn't be racism, all things considered.

This is insane and once the public attention to this snowballs, it'll be overturned or the law adjusted.

Were he to get out tomorrow he still will have spent two years of his life in prison.

There is documented institutional racism in the American justice system (whether anyone intends it is another matter and harder to pin down). For instance, blacks are 3 times as likely to be arrested for murder than whites. Now, making the large assumption that this is because blacks are commiting three times more murders than whites, we turn to how they're treated in court. Once in the court system, blacks accused of murder are seven times more likely to receive the death penalty than whites. This yields a multiplicative effect of blacks being 21 times more likely to be given the death penalty than whites, on a per capita basis. I may have the specifics a little off, but The Real War on Crime, edited by Steven Donziger, should back my claims up.

And then you have this:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/nation/4502189.html

2 get 5 years for fatal Seton Hall fire

By JEFFREY GOLD AP Writer

NEWARK, NJ - Two former roommates who admitted setting a dormitory fire that killed three students at Seton Hall University were sentenced Friday to five years in prison.

Those guys struck a plea bargain and the other guy didn't. I think that explains the sentencing disparity. Both these stories seem like they've been fish-eyed by the media somewhat, but what's new there?

• 8 months later...