Sleeping Beauties  

59 members have voted

1. 1. When I sleep, my customary position is:

• Flat on my back like Egyptian royalty or a corpse
    • Curled on my side like a cat in a coma
    • Pure belly flop
    • The compromiser: half side, half belly
    • on my feet, leaning into a corner of the room
    • all over the mattress, changing position at least every 20 minutes, keeping everybody else in the bed awake
    • At my desk

So last night I had a touch of insomnia, and as I tried to find the road to peaceful sleep, this question occurred to me: what position do you people usually sleep in?

The reason I ask is because if you all will submit replies, then I (and you as well!) will be able to take this information and turn it into clever bits of cocktail hour small talk: "Did you know that most Wilco fans sleep on their backs, in the manner of the royal Egyptians?", or perhaps, "It's intriguing how fans of formerly alt-country musical performers tend to side-sleep, don't you think?"

Who, really, ever has enough scintillating cocktail chatter? :brow I can see this providing a springboard for deeper discussions as the pinot noir flows and the bacon-wrapped water-chestnut chicken livers are consumed. I know you can see it too, because you are imaginative people. :yes

So help me with this sleep-positions study, good VC'ers, and remember: Five out of four frequently-quoted statistics are arrived at through thoroughly unscientific methodologies. Won't you join in? Thank you.

B)

sincerely,

your kidsmoke

I usually sleep stomach down, I used to have really bad stomach aches as a kid and for some strange reason lying on my stomach would make me feel a little better. I guess it became kind of a thing over the years. I do keep my face turned to one side, I only had to see One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest once to be terrified of having my face in a pillow :lol

Great poll.

--Mike

I'm the compromiser. To the max. I also hardly ever sleep well, so take it for what you will.

Troubled sleep is usually all about guilt. :yes Do you think it could be that loud, pounding heart beneath your floorboards, Dan? :unsure

Regardless of the position, if there isn't a pillow between the legs to keep the knees from from knocking together, there's no real sleep. :lol

meow, with a pillow between my knees. However with the recent back problem i've had to sleep on my back with a giant couch cushion under both knees, but it is only by necessity.

i rarely have sleep problems, though--only external wake-ups, like snoring, or pain.

Troubled sleep is usually all about guilt. :yes Do you think it could be that loud, pounding heart beneath your floorboards, Dan? :unsure

I think Mr. Poe just returned with a birthday round of absinthe, Donna.

I sleep on my side, curled like a cat, emanating waves of intense heat. When I sleep at all, that is.

I go between sleeping on my back to curled up on my side, with a pillow between my legs. that keeps my back from hurting. also, if I lay in bed too long, my body gets sore as hell.

Another side sleeper here. :yawn Even though, there's a bit of rumor that's been started in my house that I snore and when I snore I'm flat on my back :shifty ...all I know is I go to sleep on my side and I wake up on my side. End of story. :music

:cheekkiss

When I was pregnant, I longed to be able to sleep on my back again. Now, I hardly ever do, but it's nice to have the option.

Kinda OT, but I thought this was interesting

The "contagious" yawn, some scientists say, might actually be a sign of the ability to feel and show empathy. There's still no solid evidence to explain why we yawn in the first place, let alone why it's contagious, but while we tend to think of empathy as a human trait, new chimpanzee research by Dr. Jim Anderson, a Reader with the Psychology Department at the University of Stirling in Scotland, shows that they too get that yawning feeling from each other. If there is a connection between contagious yawning and empathy, this research could lend more evidence to the theory that chimpanzees are more emotionally advanced than we think.

link

Sleep? what is that? :stunned

Dreamin', I got a chuckle out of yawning = empathy. My 17-month-old son loves to look at magazines, and one of my baby info magazines has an ad with a picture of a baby yawning. Every time we come to that page it makes me :yawn . The lack of sleep with 2 small children could be a factor too!

Anyone else here a slave to Melatonin like I am?

I love melatonin. Since I am in fact a Nosferatu, undead, and sleep during the day, I also put in earplugs and sometimes tie a bandana around my eyes. If I had my way, I'd sleep in a darkened pod of gel warmed to 98.6 degrees.