Wilco sales?

Nothing concrete here, but at some point in the recent past I saw numbers for AGIB and it's nowhere near gold (500,000) copies yet, which YHF surpassed at the end of 2004.

Greg is right, although AGIB is over 400K I believe, so maybe closer than we think. Last I checked, the IATTBYH Movie is also listed as "Gold".

The new album will go gold at least, and fast.

Greg is right, although AGIB is over 400K I believe, so maybe closer than we think. Last I checked, the IATTBYH Movie is also listed as "Gold".

What makes you so sure that the new album will go gold fast? YHF probably went gold due to the massive media blitz surrounding the label fiasco, the movie, and the brilliance of the album. BT and the movie are gold based upon totally different standards. Each BT sold counts as two sales,as it's a double album and the movie going gold only accounts for 50,000 sales or thereabouts. It's feasible that all of the Wilco catalog will go gold over many, many years, but I think it's highly unlikely that any album would ever go gold very fast, that would require something Wilco has no part of, catering to the mainstream, not to mention a hit single, Greg

The new one will indeed go gold in a few months, easily.

No way, hot dog. If AGIB has yet to reach that level, it will take a similar length of time. YHF gave the band all of the publicity they could have ever asked for there for awhile and if that didn't translate into a gold record for the follow-up, why would it for this arguably less-anticipated release?

After discussing this with a good friend we have determined that because Sky Blue Sky has just the right amount of buzz, and absolutely no "overhype," it will ride the critical acclaim of YHF and AGiB into gold status in less than 12.2 minutes after release. I have an inkling that Sky Blue Sky will be Wilco's mosts accessible album because the songs are just plain fun - as always the newest Wilco release will welcome another expansion to the band's already mammothly wacko crowd.

On a similar note, what percentage (roughly) of an artist's money is made via album sales vs. touring?

I'm talking about what's left for the band's cut, after managers, record label, etc. get their cut.

Isn't the vast majority of their earnings from concert tickets sales, since record royalties are typically very small?

What makes you so sure that the new album will go gold fast? YHF probably went gold due to the massive media blitz surrounding the label fiasco, the movie, and the brilliance of the album. BT and the movie are gold based upon totally different standards. Each BT sold counts as two sales,as it's a double album and the movie going gold only accounts for 50,000 sales or thereabouts. It's feasible that all of the Wilco catalog will go gold over many, many years, but I think it's highly unlikely that any album would ever go gold very fast, that would require something Wilco has no part of, catering to the mainstream, not to mention a hit single, Greg

YHF took about 2.5 years to go gold. Being There has not gone gold to my knowledge.

Maybe I shouldn't have said "fast"; I just think it will be months and not years this time around. By the end of the year or so.

What many units does a DVD have to move to be gold?

Ken Coomer hides copies of YHF and A Ghost is Born when he is in records shops. Thats why they haven't sold as well as they could have.

i usually put Being There in the new releases section. i guess it wont help when the person looking for the latest australian idol single sees an album with a hand clutching a guitar!

How long did it take for Being There to be certified gold?

Tweedy announced at one of the Chicago solo shows in Jan. 2003 that it had just gone gold. But he noted that it was sorta like cheating because each copy of double albums count twice.

Tweedy announced at one of the Chicago solo shows in Jan. 2003 that it had just gone gold. But he noted that it was sorta like cheating because each copy of double albums count twice.

curious... would this count with the LPs? like every LP of ghost, yhf, and summerteeth would those count as two?