Rolling Stone's 20 new guitar gods

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is Derek Trucks compared to?

Derek is unquestionably great and has been since he was 12, if not younger. I used to see him sit in with bands a lot in the mid-90s and it was obvious he was going to become a true master of the instrument (which he has).

I don't see this list as a game of comparisons. It's more a matter of: "among the guitarists who have come out of the woodwork in recent years, who are the brightest stars". On that basis, it's kind of hard to argue with most of their choices.

Usually these lists are ridiculous, but they did a good job on this one.

Luther Dickinson? Is that the guy in the North Mississippi All Stars? Every time I've heard them I've reached a new level of boredom.

Yeah, that's him. I picked up one of their albums several years back and enjoyed it the first time I listened to it.

The second time ... :yawn

My version of that list:

Derek Trucks

Warren Haynes

Indeed.

Warren gets style-points deducted for his melodramatic facial expressions and singing, tho. :unsure

As for this:

Who is Derek Trucks compared to?

The most obvious point of reference is Duane Allman. Its an occupational hazard of the spot he fills for the ABB that he will be compared to Duane, but Derek doesn't seem to shy away from it. Often, his style and sound are eerily reminiscent of Duane, but he has really evolved into his own identity. I'd say his style is somewhat more restrained and cerebral, but the dude can wail, as well. He's like the Buddah of guitar players. He'll stand still as a statue and stare a hole in the floor, while the most amazing sounds just come flowing out. :thumbup

What about Michael Timmins.... I'd call him a guitar god almost any day of the week. He's about as new as Nels Cline is... not very new but still awesome.

Is that the Cowboy Junkies guy? Interesting pick. i don't think I'd call him a guitar god, but he certainly has milked the "less is more" approach pretty successfully.

I'd say Mary Timony is worthy of inclusion.

I have seen most of these artist live (Marked with*)and I must say the only ones I would mention in this list would be Jack White and Johny Greenwood. Morello is passionate but not too groundbreaking (recently), Nels is good but I always liked Bennett better (sorry ;)) Warren Hanes and Trucks do nothing for me and I have seen them a few times. Mccreedy and Gossard are great but they wouldn't make my list.

Tom Morello*

Jack White*

John Mayer*

Derek Trucks*

John Frusciante*

Luther Dickinson

Nels Cline*

Warren Haynes*

Jim James & Carl Broemel*

Adam Jones*

Kaki King*

Mike McCready & Stone Gossard*

Omar Rodriguez-Lopez

Ed O'Brien & Johnny Greenwood*

Chuck Garvey & Al Schnier

Matt Pike

Jack White*

I have seen most of these artist live (Marked with*)and I must say the only ones I would mention in this list would be Jack White and Johny Greenwood. Morello is passionate but not too groundbreaking (recently), Nels is good but I always liked Bennett better (sorry ;)) Warren Hanes and Trucks do nothing for me and I have seen them a few times. Mccreedy and Gossard are great but they wouldn't make my list.

Isn't music great? For me, I'd flip your comment around and say Jack White and Johnny Greenwood don't do much for me, but several of the others listed are quite good.

McCreedy and Gossard are fine, but I agree that they probably wouldn't make my list of the best, if such a list existed.

Isn't music great? For me, I'd flip your comment around and say Jack White and Johnny Greenwood do nothing for me, but several of the others listed are quite good.

McCreedy and Gossard are fine, but I agree that they probably wouldn't make my list, if such a list existed.

Curiosity question...have you seen Greenwood and White live?

Let me clarify...all the acts on the list are talented..just not deserving of the title Rolling Stone gave em thats what I really ment. But I agree with the subjectivity of the matter :thumbup

Curiosity question...have you seen Greenwood and White live?

Let me clarify...all the acts on the list are talented..just not deserving of the title Rolling Stone gave em thats what I really ment. But I agree with the subjectivity of the matter :thumbup

Greenwood, yes. White, no. I agree, however, that seeing somebody live can totally alter one's perception of a player. Jack White has never really appealed much to me on record, tho maybe the energy of a live show could win me over.

Clearly everybody on the list is talented, and the rest is very subjective. For example, my earlier comments raving about Derek and Warren--I mean, due to the band they play in (or at least the one they get the most attention for) their style of playing is clearly a throwback to a kind of music that isn't so much in fashion currently. Putting them next to McCready/Gossard or Tom Morello has a very apples-to-oranges feel to it. All of them are awesome, but they are trying to accomplish radically different things.

At least this wasn't an ordered list, otherwise there'd be all kinds of bitching going on! :lol

That guy from Six Organs of Admittance probably should have been included.

I would have dumped the Pearl Jam guys if I were the editor. They've been high-profile WAY too long to be on a list of "new" anything.

That guy from Six Organs of Admittance probably should have been included.

I would have dumped the Pearl Jam guys if I were the editor. They've been high-profile WAY too long to be on a list of "new" anything.

If you're going by that rule, nearly everyone on the list should be dropped.

Just sayin.. :hmm

If you're going by that rule, nearly everyone on the list should be dropped.

Just sayin.. :hmm

Wrong. Many on the list have been around a long time, but not high-profile like the Pearl Jam guys. maybe a few, but not most.

Frusciante has been known for 15 years now, although there's no doubt that he's had some big breakthroughs in his playing in the last couple of years.

Adam Jones isn't exactly brand new either. He's also the least talented musician in that band, although that isn't really a knock considering how talented they all are.

And the Radiohead guys have been known for a while too, and I think have been pretty widely acknowledged for their skills since probably their second album.

*if john mayer was playing in my backyard, i would not even get off the couch to open the blinds

To all the Mayer haters, which it is very easy to be, I ask that you find an episode of Letterman where he sat in with the CBS orchestra. He's done it quite often and every time he fuckin rips it up. Hes made it very public that he makes records solely for the money and women which really turns my stomach but he does have talent. And someday, after he gets every STD ever and his trillions of dollars can't buy him a cure, I'd imagine that day we'll get a bloody good album where he shines. Until then his talent shall be smothered by greed and lust.

Kaki King. Cool. Shes hot, she can shred, and she's into chicks. Awesome.

I pretty much like the list but it feels like some people made it so popular stuff can be on there. It can't all be Jim James, Nels Cline, Kaki King, so lets put Jack White in there. Twice. So people feel safe.