Rolling Stone's 20 new guitar gods

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all the Mayer haters, which it is very easy to be, I ask that you find an episode of Letterman where he sat in with the CBS orchestra. He's done it quite often and every time he fuckin rips it up. Hes made it very public that he makes records solely for the money and women which really turns my stomach but he does have talent. And someday, after he gets every STD ever and his trillions of dollars can't buy him a cure, I'd imagine that day we'll get a bloody good album where he shines. Until then his talent shall be smothered by greed and lust.

Kaki King. Cool. Shes hot, she can shred, and she's into chicks. Awesome.

I pretty much like the list but it feels like some people made it so popular stuff can be on there. It can't all be Jim James, Nels Cline, Kaki King, so lets put Jack White in there. Twice. So people feel safe.

A great guitarist does not sell his soul, not unless your Robert Johnson. Besides, he still sucks I would have more love for him if he made a straight up blues record; instead, he makes shitty pop records that make young girls scream for his STDs.

A great guitarist does not sell his soul, not unless your Robert Johnson. Besides, he still sucks I would have more love for him if he made a straight up blues record; instead, he makes shitty pop records that make young girls scream for his STDs.

See, now is one of those rare times when I don't feel bad about being a John Mayer apologist, since you are being a bit off the wall.

The John Mayer Trio's Try is the closest he's come to a straight up blues record. They are in the studio working on a new album that will probably be more bluesy.

Did Prince ever make any straight up blues records? He's a great guitarist who made pop music for the better part of a decade.

All joking aside, I am not really into lists such as that - and that is a weird mix to begin with. For instance, what the heck does Jack White do that is so great?

what the heck did jimi hendrix do that was so great?

YES I DID!

Even though he is kind of sloppy I think they should have put M. Ward on there.

how do you find him sloppy? i think hes a great guitarist.

Frusciante has been known for 15 years now, although there's no doubt that he's had some big breakthroughs in his playing in the last couple of years.

True. When he made his debut with RHCP he was a competent funk/rock guitarist, but he wasn't considered anything special. In fact, many fans thought his playing was a step down from Hillel Slovac. He's certainly at a higher level of playing these days compared to 15 years ago. That's why he deserves to be on the list of "new" guitar gods even though he's been around for a while.

Some people are on the list because they've gotten so good recently, like Frusciante. Some are on the list because finally people know who they are...Nels. Some are on the list out of pure journalistic laziness...like the Pearl Jam guys.

I haven't paid much attention to the Chili Peppers in recent years, but I was watching Frusciante during the Grammys and his guitar work just blew me away. His rhythm lines are more intricate than most people's leads. His fingers are flying all the time, and yet he somehow makes it look easy.

He's also a very creative writer, judging from his contributions to the big RHCP singles in recent years. Seriously, is there anything better than that repeated line he plays through "Scar Tissue"? He really has become one of the greats, in my opinion.

And the Radiohead guys have been known for a while too, and I think have been pretty widely acknowledged for their skills since probably their second album.

When Radiohead had a huge MTV hit with Creep, they were seen as peers of bands like James, EMF and the like. People started taking them a little more seriously with the second album, but it wasn't until after that that they were cemented as a band that was more than just another flash in the buzz-bin pan. As far as the list is concerned, I guess I could go either way on these guys.

Did Prince ever make any straight up blues records? He's a great guitarist who made pop music for the better part of a decade.

but the "pop music" prince made for the better part of that decade includes some of the best pop music of the time and a couple of all time classics (culturally speaking).

the crap mayer turns out (guitar skills perhaps aside) is some of the most forgettable-elevator-music-in-waiting ever shoved down america's throats.

imho.

I watched it. He can carry a tune, and plays a nice little blues riff, but I didn't see anything remarkable there. Certainly nothing that would qualify as "guitar godhood".

But I seriously could not name 20 guitarists that have come within the past 10 years that I would consider a "guitar god." You have to extend it past 10 years.

I probably couldn't either, and I have had a Guitar Player subscription for over 5 years. There's something wrong with that picture.

Perhaps Rolling Stone, rather than naming people "new guitar gods", should have run a feature on the present state of guitar. That would have allowed them to include folks who are still very active and relevant, but are not young or newly famous. It also would have prevented them from having egg on thier face from padding the list with folks who were proclaimed "new guitar gods" in, like, 1992. If they're going to call Pearl Jam "new", why not include Trey Anastasio? Or better yet, Jimmy Herring? He, like Nels, has been at it for a long time, but has only recently been gaining large scale attention since joining (shudder) Widespread Panic.

Perhaps Rolling Stone, rather than naming people "new guitar gods", should have run a feature on the present state of guitar. That would have allowed them to include folks who are still very active and relevant, but are not young or newly famous. It also would have prevented them from having egg on thier face from padding the list with folks who were proclaimed "new guitar gods" in, like, 1992. If they're going to call Pearl Jam "new", why not include Trey Anastasio? Or better yet, Jimmy Herring? He, like Nels, has been at it for a long time, but has only recently been gaining large scale attention since joining (shudder) Widespread Panic.

Considering it's Rolling Stone, that's asking a lot, wouldn't you say? :)