no cell phones or videotaping at shows?

wilco does allow non-flash still photography wherever it does not conflict with venue or other restrictions beyond our control. please be considerate of others. we do not allow video taping, and ask that you refrain from using your cell phones during concerts.

we do not allow video taping, and ask that you refrain from using your cell phones during concerts

Has it always said that part? I don't remember noticing it before.

it's said that since at least oct of last year from what i remember. i checked a couple of days after the huntsville show when someone handed me a copy of the show and i had to know how in the world that was possible.

we do not allow video taping, and ask that you refrain from using your cell phones during concerts

Has it always said that part? I don't remember noticing it before.

Guest Jules
i have to agree that people holding up their cellphones during shows is completely annoying and distracting.

they're probably using it to take picture, right? So what's the big deal?

Guest tandylacker
In the future, people will broadcast a holographic image of themselves on the stage trying to kiss Tweedy.

That's going to get crowded. They better start a holographic line.

Good. I hate cell phones at shows.

A few years ago, I saw Jonathan Richman at the Duckroom -- acosutic show, tiny club -- and some bozo insisted on having a full-on conversation with someone throughout most of the show. I so can understand why someone wouldn't want cell phones at his show, especially during quiet numbers.

Isn't this kind of a non-issues with Wilco, given they've moved up a notch, venue-wise, in the past couple years. Most theatres frown on cell-phone use during a performance anyway.

I use my cell phone to take pictures? Is it that big of a deal?

Jesus, I feel like an asshole now.

That's me too. I've only taken pictures with it but not in any kind of annoying, jockeying for position, shoving my phone in peoples faces kind of way. Reading that on Wilcoworld made me feel all guilty and ashamed.

i call people at shows to let them listen, not to talk to them. and i hold the phone down at my side or stick it in my pocket, the sound probably isn't that much better when you thrust the phone into the air 2 and a half feet or a foot and half or however long your arm is...

Cell phones are evil.

Yes, I have one, but I never use it. For emergencies only. And it doesn't have any fucking camera, either.

The world was a better place before them.

Cell phones are evil.

Yes, I have one, but I never use it. For emergencies only. And it doesn't have any fucking camera, either.

hang on, let me finish chipping this statue of you

the thing from wilcoworld above might translate to "dont bring your camcorder in to record the show AND dont talk to your friends on the mobile phone during the show"

Froggie, I also interpret it this way as well.

I remember at a Louisville show I had seats in the pit, and Jeff was annoyed by a fan standing next to me talking to someone on his cell phone, and Jeff made a point to tease him about it between songs.

So I think it's just the talking and the distraction for others that a cell phone can create, not the camera function.

Jeez, I was at a Jon Brion performance this past Friday night in Chicago when during a particularly breathtakingly lovely point in a quiet song when the jerk behind me had his cell phone go off ... "ring-ring-ring" ... set on loud.

And this was despite the signs posted on all the venue doors to "silence your cell phones." :hmm

I'm torn, because I like to see photos and videos of my favorite artists as well (who can forget the Springfield Incident, immortalized on YouTube), but as a fan who also enjoys taking concert pics and is respectful of the rules, I'm afraid the people that abuse the privilege (taking flash photos, videos shot with still cameras, etc.) will ruin it for the rest of us.

I can envision a policy in the future that bans all types of electronic devices in an effort to prevent unauthorized photos and videos.

Cell phones are evil.

Why the heck do people go to a show only to talk all night on their phone? The world was a better place before these f.cking things became extensions of our hands. I view cellphones as monuments to our insecurity.

I use my cell phone to take pictures? Is it that big of a deal?

Jesus, I feel like an asshole now.

That doesn't bother me, unless you decide to video every other song on your phone. Last thing I want is to see the concert repeated in real time.