Wilco Unfazed

In what is becoming something of an unfortunate tradition, Wilco's new Nonesuch album, "Sky Blue Sky," has leaked online, more than two months prior to its May 15 release date.

The group's 2002 album "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" was online for nine months before it was eventually released in stores, and 2004's "A Ghost Is Born" also hit the Internet well before street date. In the latter instance, Wilco fan site Justafan.org asked fans who had downloaded the album early to donate money to Doctors Without Borders, a fund which eventually grew to $15,000.

"There's probably some good argument to be made that it will prevent a few people from buying the record," Wilco frontman Jeff Tweedy told Billboard yesterday (March 8) at the band's Chicago loft. "But there's also the idea that I believe is true for us, which is, it's people listening to our music."

"We feel very proud of our record and we want people to hear it. Ultimately, that's the goal," he continued. "I think most people will do the right thing and support us and buy the record, even if they have downloaded it."

"Frankly, I would like to have people get a head start on knowing the material before we come to whatever town they live in," bassist John Stirratt added with a laugh.

To stem the tide, the group will stream "Sky Blue Sky" from 9 a.m to 9 p.m. ET this Sunday (March 11) on its official Web site.

"We've always viewed the whole thing as similar to radio," Wilco manager Tony Margherita tells Billboard. "We were prepared for it to leak as soon as the first advance CD went out. That's just part and parcel of the deal. As with previous records, our plan was and is to give people another way to hear the record besides the download, since these often sound like crap and are a pain in the ass for people who don't have a lot of time or are not super tech-savvy."

Wilco will get busy on the road beginning April 16 in Brisbane, Australia.

Guest Jules
Yeah I'm pretty sure the only thing circulating at the moment is people's rips of the webcast.

--Mike

The interview (yesterday) makes it seem they are surprised by the leak. I mean, I assume Wilco authorized the stream last weekend, right? Or, maybe they got wind of an actual leak and that's why they streamed it.

Whatever, doesn't matter. Back to my wine and Indiana basketball.

itd be cool for them to set-up a new donation site or something to allow fans to donate once again. i'd gladly pitch in some $ as a thanks to the band for "leaking" the album, plus, i'd feel safer knowing where my money was going if Wilco was involved

I would guess 99% of all the copies going around are ripped from the webcast - a format that I assume is extremely low quality. No matter what "kbps" your mp3s show up as, I would guess a real analysis of the audio would put them much lower than that. First, in order to stream the audio, it is compressed and then the software for capturing the stream and convert it to mp3 brings it down even more. I'm sure there are some copies going around ripped from an "advance copy" put out by Wilco's record label but because they streamed the album, that rip is probably the most common.

As for them leaking their own album? Of course they knew some techgeekfan would record the webstream and make it available for download the next day. It's cool that they are cool about it. I also think it was smart, because it flooded the internet with crap-quality versions of the CD and we will all have to buy the album on May 15 if we want a good copy (or wait until someone else buys it and uploads FLACs or higher mp3s).

Yeah I'm pretty sure the only thing circulating at the moment is people's rips of the webcast.

--Mike

I had the mp3's the day before the stream, so I believe I have something of a higher quality.

Hey, I'll buy the CD in May, and buy one for my sister too.

I wasn't able to hear the webcast because I was in the sticks over the weekend. So when I came back and heard about it I downloaded a rip of the webcast. I then decided that I would burn one CD, and delete the files and only listen to the album once, all the way through to make up for my absence.

Last night I partook, and it was awesome.

I am having real trouble deciding if I want to honor my promise to myself.

The album is still in my player, taunting me.

As long as you buy one when it comes out, it's OK to listen to it. I am right now. When the real disc is out, it'll sound so much better than this rip it will be like a revelation and shit.

Guest tandylacker

I apparently have a non-webcast rip of the CD. It seems that way at least. It was only up on a torrent site for a few hours, but it is a VBR in the 200 range and sounds much better than my previous download of the webcast from the same site.

Regardless, if you don't buy a CD that is as good as this one from a band that is as typically nice as Wilco, then you are a total pud.

As long as you buy one when it comes out, it's OK to listen to it. I am right now. When the real disc is out, it'll sound so much better than this rip it will be like a revelation and shit.

:yes Eggzackly.

And I can't wait to listen with headphones.

And if the whole world is singing your songs

And your painting have all been hung

Just remember what was your

Is everyone's from now on

Jeff gets it. And he knows that the true fans will support the album by buying it and going to see them live.