Uncle Tupelo's version of Effigy

I'm listening to Anodyne right now, a brilliant cd though I skip "Give Me Back the Key...", and "Chickamauga". Everything else is beau-ti-ful.

Wow. There's some great stuff on Anodyne, and live performances of "Chickamauga" generally blow the studio version away, but if I was gonna pick two songs to skip on that CD, those two wouldn't be close. Wow.

To each his own. :)

Wow. There's some great stuff on Anodyne, and live performances of "Chickamauga" generally blow the studio version away, but if I was gonna pick two songs to skip on that CD, those two wouldn't be close. Wow.

:thumbup

Jay played Chickamauga last night. I think that was the only song that he played lead guitar on. It was unreal.

Am I the only one that, when listening to Chickamauga, at like 2:59, right before the song starts "rocking" again, wishes there was like, two kick drum or snare hits right before it stars rocking again? It always bugs the hell out of me.

Am I the only one that, when listening to Chickamauga, at like 2:59, right before the song starts "rocking" again, wishes there was like, two kick drum or snare hits right before it stars rocking again? It always bugs the hell out of me.

God, I wish I could listen to the UT back catalogue for the first time again, you are so lucky that you have that to look forward to, go do it....NOW!

Yea, I know I'm probably in the minority on Chickamagua. It just never grabbed me, but all the other Jay material is some of the best music he put out, IMO.

If I were ranking:

Anodyne>March>ND>SFG

:thumbup

UT was a great band, a great gritty sounding rock band. Their cover of Effigy blew me away as did Susie Q. i miss those guys. i often wonder if they were still together what they would sound like.

I think that they would be good but Tweedy probably wouldn't have flourished like he has. His reverence for Jay was likely holding him back. I've seen Uncle Tupelo live and they were nothing like Wilco live. I also believe that Jay has grown tremendously so "sharing" a band was likely holding these guys back. I think that the majority of what Jay and Jeff have put out since the Uncle Tupelo days far exceeds what they did in the band.

I also agree with Parm that Still Feel Gone should be higher on the list of UT albums. At least in front of No Depression.

Tupelo wipe the floor with anything either Jay or Jeff have done consequently. Go buy their stuff.

wha? I tend to disagree with you on about every level but to each their own.

We do agree that people should go out and buy their stuff. I'd leave "No Depression" until you have already bought everything else.

UT is, IMHO, one of the best American bands ever. Period.

But real importance is preparing Jeff for Wilco...

I'm not disagreeing that UT was great. They defined my college years almost completely. I think Jay and Jeff have both far exceeded their output in that band though.