Loose Fur's Born Again In The USA

I got it as a Valentine's Day gift and it hasn't left the rotation on my CD player yet. If you haven't heard Loose Fur, you really should. Really really... it was the beginning of the Kotche saga (kotche as Wilco's drummer that is)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, I love Loose Fur. That album's amazing, their debut was very solid as well.

I own both, but Born Again In The USA is my favorite by far.

Ruling Class..Doesn't get better than that! Well, maybe Hey Chicken..I think you get what I'm trying to say :)

Does anyone else think maybe Hey Chicken was written about Bennett?

i listened to it twice, maybe three times. never could get into loose fur

Yep, at least for the second album. I vaguely remember a song that kinda had a "Ballad of John and Yoko" vibe (a song I don't really like all that much) and a whistle solo. I also kinda remember thinking I'll be ok never hearing that song again.

I actually kinda like a couple songs from the first Loose Fur album though.

I own both, but Born Again In The USA is my favorite by far.

Does anyone else think maybe Hey Chicken was written about Bennett?

I like Hey Chicken, but when I first heard it my first thought was that it was about Farrar. I'm 99% sure it isn't--or about JB either--at least I hope to hell not, because that would just be kind of sad. But that thought colored my interpretation of the song for a long time.

Overall, I like the s/t better than BAITUSA, largely because I don't care for O'Rourke's songs on the latter. There's something jokey about that record I don't totally like. Some good stuff on there too, tho.

What does that mean?

Loose Fur was, I mean, not BAITUSA. Jim O'Rourke introduced Kotche to Tweedy and the three of them started playing together and stuff and Jeff decided to trade Coomer out for Kotche.

FWIW, at the time I was kind of expecting Jeff's LF songs (ie, Pretty Sparks, Wreckroom, etc) to be kind of a hint at what of what the next Wilco record would sound like--fairly mellow, but also kind of spastic and proggy. I guess I was half-right. :lol

Put the best parts of the BAITUSA together with the best of SBS and you'd have a killer record. As it is, the two we got are both pretty good also. :yes

Anybody else really, really feel strongly that "Wanted" is Jeff's best song on BitUSA? I'm always saddened that nobody seems to have any love for it. Sniff.

I love the song very much. -- Especially his Baritone guitar part in that song. But I love the whole album though.

Born Again is a lot like SBS in the sense the you need to listen to it more than once. After my first listen I never touched it for another two months and thought I wasted all of my money.

When I went back to listen to it I realized how good Wreckroom and Wanted are awesome...even the O'Rourke songs really started to grow on me.