Loose Fur's Born Again In The USA

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It took a little bit of time for the album to sink in, but once it did, it hooked me. They are all good songs in their own right, but "Wanted" is fantastic.

the whole album kicks ass in a wilco album sorta way. i listen to it all the time, much more than i do their first album.

• 9 months later...

Love both albums immensely, favorites being So Long, Chinese Apple, Stupid as the Sun, Wreckroom, and Pretty Sparks.

They seriously need to play a few shows every now and again... and start thinking about a third.

I really wish they would have recorded Millionaire too, I love that one.

Weird that this topic appeared again, as I was spinning Born Again in the USA for the first time in a year this weekend. I forgot how much I love it. I'm not a SBS hater but I think Born Again is superior in every way. All the songs are solid, and I agree that Wanted is probably the best song from it, the killer lead guitar in the end gets me every time. I don't understand why so many people dislike Jim's songs, I think they're some of his best since Insignificance.

I can't say if I like one of the albums more then the other, but I will say this. I think Chinese Apple is one of the best things Jeff has done, Wilco, Uncle Tupelo, Golden Smog, or Loose Fur.

Weird that this topic appeared again, as I was spinning Born Again in the USA for the first time in a year this weekend. I forgot how much I love it. I'm not a SBS hater but I think Born Again is superior in every way. All the songs are solid, and I agree that Wanted is probably the best song from it, the killer lead guitar in the end gets me every time. I don't understand why so many people dislike Jim's songs, I think they're some of his best since Insignificance.

I can't say if I like one of the albums more then the other, but I will say this. I think Chinese Apple is one of the best things Jeff has done, Wilco, Uncle Tupelo, Golden Smog, or Loose Fur.

Yeah, everything on Born Again in the USA is quite good. The Ruling Class is excellent. I love Wanted. O'Rourke's songs are top notch. I think I like the first one better by just a bit, but they're both wonderful records.

This was actually brought up a couple of times, but I did make a mix of the Tweedy songs from Born Again in the USA and some of my favorite tracks from Sky Blue Sky, and while it sounded pretty good, I found myself missing the O'Rourke tracks quite a bit, and I'd often just end up listening to Born Again.

--Mike

BAITUSA is traditionally the album that I listen to for a month or two at a time during the winter. Mostly on sunny days.

[by tradition, I mean this winter and last winter.]

I picked it up on vinyl tonight...can't wait to listen to that!

As for s/t, I've had it all winter and haven't made time to listen to it. I'm going to make a point of it this week, since it's my spring break and all...

The self titled record, I think, requires some patience but once you listen to it enough, well, I know in my case, I really see it as a sister record to YHF.

The self titled record, I think, requires some patience but once you listen to it enough, well, I know in my case, I really see it as a sister record to YHF.

I can see a lot of parallels between it and A Ghost is Born as well, it has definitely has the live feel with intricate parts, and guitar breakdowns. I think Born Again in The USA has a similar feel to Sky Blue Sky, but it's a little more successful as a whole. The last two Loose Fur records have been a pretty good indicator of where Wilco is going thus far.

--Mike

I can see a lot of parallels between it and A Ghost is Born as well, it has definitely has the live feel with intricate parts, and guitar breakdowns. I think Born Again in The USA has a similar feel to Sky Blue Sky, but it's a little more successful as a whole. The last two Loose Fur records have been a pretty good indicator of where Wilco is going thus far.

--Mike

yeah, Born Again is like Sky Blue Sky's overachieving brother. I love it. :thumbup

the two things the studio version of Answers, is missing, is Jeff on piano and the closing lyrics that appear in the live version.

Were you at the Brooklyn Loose Fur shows in 2002? Were they even more amazing than the boots sound? Did you want to beat up the guy that yelled out Judas?

--Mike

listening to these shows again, I'd really like to hear studio versions of Millionaire and Street Success

Street Success might be the great "lost" song in the Tweedy catalog. He basically used the melody for Kicking Television, I think Street Success is the better song, the lyrics are great. I don't know if we'll ever hear Millionaire again, unless there are Loose Fur demos and outtakes that surface.

--Mike

Street Success might be the great "lost" song in the Tweedy catalog. He basically used the melody for Kicking Television, I think Street Success is the better song, the lyrics are great. I don't know if we'll ever hear Millionaire again, unless there are Loose Fur demos and outtakes that surface.

--Mike

lyrics from Street Success also show up in the Tweedy poem, Damen Ave. and also in Corduroy Cutoff Girl. It really is a great song, and I was disappointed that it didn't end up on either album. man, I'd love for some demos, or a completely new album to come out some day.

• 4 months later...

I finally got to listen to BAITUSA on vinyl [even though I've had it since March...], and HOW DID I NOT KNOW that it comes with a poster?

ROCK! :dancing :dancing :dancing :dancing :dancing :dancing :dancing :dancing

...sorry...

• 4 years later...

Can't believe I call myself a Wilco superfan and I'd never listened to this until last week.  I've heard Ruling Class enough over the years, but every other song was brand new to me.  Hey Chicken has been an earworm all day today.  This belated discovery was just what I needed to cure the Wilco over-exposure blues that struck after 5 live shows last year.

And Wreckroom, holy shit.

Yeah...it really makes me wish that Jim O'Rourke would come back to the States and resume his collaboration with Jeff.

He was the perfecto foil for Jeff...weird, proficient and an odd mixture of abondon and restraint.