SBS vinyl side preference

So i finally got my copy yesterday via "musicnextweek" and gave it a thorough listen last night; 3 times. Forward starting with side one then backward starting with side four and as a night cap back starting again with side one.

When i get a new LP I like to compare sides of the records choosing the strongest album side of the collection. On first listen here is my choice...

Side three; or disc two side one, is off the charts for me. PBPWM,HIH and LM; neither of which song may be the strongest single track on the LP, but that trifecta of songs are a perfect fit for one another. If i only have 15 minuets and SBS at my disposal that's the side i'll choose.

A close second is side one with the trio that kick off the album. The guitar work in IG alone is almost worth the price of the lp alone.

I love the album on first listen. I'm probably one of the few that didn't sneak a listen before i actually had the vinyl in my possesion. The only track thats seems out of place for me on the release is "Walken" . Other than that one track this is another Wilco release that will get heavy rotation for me for years to come.

Any other vinyl enthusiast like to share their lp side preference?

I dunno, they're all sort of equally black and shiny. It's really hard to choose.

I haven't had a chance to play my vinyl yet ... need to get my turntable repaired or buy a new one.

One of the sadder (and I think underappreciated) losses as the CD has continued to obliterate the LP is the loss of the whole "what a great song to end side 1 with" or "can you believe that they opened side 2 with this?" etc. I hate that CDs are 1-12 tracks with no breaks. But I guess it all comes down to how you were raised. I am no old fart by any stretch but I grew up when CDs first started breaking through and I couldn't afford them so I was forced to listen to old LPs from parents, friends, etc.

Enough about me. I vote for Side 1 of 4 for SBS.

One of the sadder (and I think underappreciated) losses as the CD has continued to obliterate the LP is the loss of the whole "what a great song to end side 1 with" or "can you believe that they opened side 2 with this?" etc. I hate that CDs are 1-12 tracks with no breaks. But I guess it all comes down to how you were raised. I am no old fart by any stretch but I grew up when CDs first started breaking through and I couldn't afford them so I was forced to listen to old LPs from parents, friends, etc.

Enough about me. I vote for Side 1 of 4 for SBS.

at least they did it right with being there. meaning it could have fit on one cd.

Tough call. I'd say side 3 is the most consistent but side 2 is pretty tasty as well, I'm just not too big a fan of the title track. Also would consider side 1. Basically, I think What Light and Walken should be replaced by One True Vine and Lets Not Get Carried Away.

:lol

I dunno, they're all sort of equally black and shiny. It's really hard to choose.

I haven't had a chance to play my vinyl yet ... need to get my turntable repaired or buy a new one.

:lol I just love the vinyl nostalgia....

LouieB

I heard that if you spin the vinyl SBS backwards you can hear the shrieking cries of Coomer and Bennett. Leroy quit, so he wasn't crying. Let me know if you hear the same. :monkey

side 3 is a favorite for me as well!

I kind of wish they could have fit the songs on one record. I wouldn't have to get up off my ass every three songs and put a new damn record on!

I'm pretty sure the CD or mp3 version of the album could help with this problem. :lol

Part of me is vaguely interested in getting into this whole vinyl fetish so many of you guys have. I have nothing against the format and am curious in trying to hear the sonic differences you guys speak of...the last record I owned was either the Dukes of Hazzard tv soundtrack or something by the Smurfs. Tapes were the format of my youth and I do sometimes miss the Side1/Side2 breaks, so I get what you guys are saying about listening to "sides" on vinyl.

I don't see vinyl as a practical possibility for me because I think the big shiny black circles would positively scream "frisbee" to my kids. :lol I don't own too many CDs/DVDs anymore that aren't scratched or fingerprinted to hell, so I can't imagine trying to take care of vinyl records. My music collection mostly hides out on my iPod not so much for convenience, but for protection! :ninja

I heard that if you spin the vinyl SBS backwards you can hear the shrieking cries of Coomer and Bennett. Leroy quit, so he wasn't crying. Let me know if you hear the same. :monkey

I actually played side three this morning at 45 speed and it sounded like Jay Bennett was singing lead. :yucky

I'll try spinning it backward at 45 and see what happens. Maybe it will sound like Jay Farrar makes a appearance. :ermm

Still waiting to get mine! MusicNextYear more like it. When they ship internationally they send it on a freaking rowboat, apparently. My last vinyl order from them, of YHF and AGIB, took a MONTH to arrive....

:frusty

I've thought about this a bit - I love picking out favorite LP sides; especially when the songs are divided up over 4 sides - and right now I'm going with Disc 1, Side A.

:wub

I have the LP and nothing to play it on. Any tips?

I'd try a good quality belt sander first. If that didn't work, I'd head straight for the microwave and pop it in for about 45 min. After the beeps, you'll hear the record in its entirety.

I have the LP and nothing to play it on. Any tips?
Get a paper cup, stick a pin in it through the bottom with the sharp part sticking out the bottom. Get a pencil, put the album on a pencil and start it spinning with your hand, then gently lower the pin into a groove and let it follow the groove as it turns and you can hear the album.
Part of me is vaguely interested in getting into this whole vinyl fetish so many of you guys have.
Fetish is exactly the correct word. The definition on Wikopedia is "a man-made object that has power over others" or an object that has supernatural powers.

LouieB

Guest Jules
I'd try a good quality belt sander first. If that didn't work, I'd head straight for the microwave and pop it in for about 45 min. After the beeps, you'll hear the record in its entirety.

Get a paper cup, stick a pin in it through the bottom with the sharp part sticking out the bottom. Get a pencil, put the album on a pencil and start it spinning with your hand, then gently lower the pin into a groove and let it follow the groove as it turns and you can hear the album.

Fetish is exactly the correct word. The definition on Wikopedia is "a man-made object that has power over others" or an object that has supernatural powers.

LouieB

I tried the microwave, but couldn't get the door shut. And Lou, I couldn't find a pencil in the whole damn house! I'll try again tonight. Thanks for the input.

I tried the microwave, but couldn't get the door shut. And Lou, I couldn't find a pencil in the whole damn house! I'll try again tonight. Thanks for the input.

try a conventional oven... the still have uses, you know :thumbup

(pre-heat to 250'C first)