summerteeth the song

i'm curious as to how you all interpret this song. this song is one of my favorite Wilco songs ever, and i'm not even quite sure on the lyrics. every time i listen to it, i get different images of a person who has lost touch with reality. the lyrics are so creative, and the music is just so beautiful: from the opening bird chirps and guitar licks, to the repeat chords at the end. it's just so relaxing.

Like a cloud his fingers explode

On the typewriter ribbon, the shadow grows

His heart's in a bowl behind the bank

And every evening when he get home

To make his supper and eat it alone

His black shirt cries while his shoes get cold

It's just a dream he keeps having

And it doesn't seem to mean anything

One summer, a suicide

Another autumn, a traveler's guide

He hits snooze twice before he dies

And every evening when he get home

To make his supper and eat it alone

His black shirt cries while his shoes get cold

He feels lucky to have you here

In his kitchen, in your chair

Sometimes he forgets that you're even there

It's just a dream

It means they had a bunch of whhhhhooooos, and ahhhhhhhhaaaas sitting around and needed a song to hang 'em on.

It's fun to hear the crowd back up JT on that song during his solo tours.

apparently the lyrics of the album Summerteeth were so frightening, that Bennett and Tweedy did their best with the bells and whistles to kind of try to detract attention from them. At least that's what I read...

If you're interested in useless trivia, though, the name summerteeth comes from a stupid joke: "I got summerteeth... summerteeth and some are not."

It's fun to hear the crowd back up JT on that song during his solo tours.

:bounce8

That's the point where I know I'm not the only one singing every word of every song he's singing. It's a magical moment.

apparently the lyrics of the album Summerteeth were so frightening, that Bennett and Tweedy did their best with the bells and whistles to kind of try to detract attention from them. At least that's what I read...

This is soo great just for the dark-poppy push / pull synergy of lyrics and melody.........

-robert.

Tops my list of Wilco faves. That guitar riff is mesmerizing. I find that the words paint such an interesting picture of loneliness and being for me -- a different perspective, like lying on your back upside-down and looking around the room.

An ignorant bliss of looking out the window -- something like that. Beauty in normality, how usually things are just so-so and mundane -- but it's okay and there's always a dream to be had.

Great song.

apparently the lyrics of the album Summerteeth were so frightening, that Bennett and Tweedy did their best with the bells and whistles to kind of try to detract attention from them.

i really like this about this album.

Tops my list of Wilco faves. That guitar riff is mesmerizing. I find that the words paint such an interesting picture of loneliness and being for me -- a different perspective, like lying on your back upside-down and looking around the room.

An ignorant bliss of looking out the window -- something like that. Beauty in normality, how usually things are just so-so and mundane -- but it's okay and there's always a dream to be had.

Great song.

Great take on the song.