isn't it fun buying gasoline?

My theory is that these high prices were decided back in early 2001 when Cheney had his energy pow wow -- they said OK, we'll wait till Bush is a lame duck and we'll rape the hell out of the collective American pocket book.

Sadly, I'm only half joking.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I predicted these current high gas prices immediately following 9/11 when every car dealer in town made it their selling pitch that it's your American duty to buy an SUV......Let's Roll America!!!

Though, Edie, your theory is credible. harumph.

If 1 US gallon = 3.785 litres and I'm paying $1.10/litre for gas, does that mean my gas is $4.16 a gallon? For regular (ie not premium).

I've seen it as high as $1.27 (for regular) here. I think it's pretty safe to say that we're paying the highest prices in North America.

Your gas might be more expensive - I am assuming a lot of that high cost is due to taxes. I know one of the reasons Chicago's is so high is due to taxes.

But - don't complain too much - you have free health care! :)

I saw it for $3.43 in Jersey a few days ago. Back home in suburban MA it's just over $3 a gallon.

I remember days before 9/11 gas was 99 cents at a Cumberland Farms near my house...

Of course, the good part is that ALL of our incomes have doubled in the past 3 years...right? RIGHT?? :realmad

mine has!

then again, I was making $8.00 an hour in 2004...

Your gas might be more expensive - I am assuming a lot of that high cost is due to taxes. I know one of the reasons Chicago's is so high is due to taxes.

But - don't complain too much - you have free health care! :)

It's not exactly free :) - we have high taxes all over the place. But yeah, we love our universal health care (at least most of us do)

Yep, gas prices suck. It's only $3.29 around here, but in the middle of Iowa it is nearly impossible to not drive some places, at least some of the time. Ie. if I wanted to get any new clothes ever, and didn't want to order off the internet, or shop at wal-mart (which I also would probably have to drive to here) I'd have to drive at least 30 minutes. I walk in town, but that's about all I can do.

Yep, gas prices suck. It's only $3.29 around here, but in the middle of Iowa it is nearly impossible to not drive some places, at least some of the time. Ie. if I wanted to get any new clothes ever, and didn't want to order off the internet, or shop at wal-mart (which I also would probably have to drive to here) I'd have to drive at least 30 minutes. I walk in town, but that's about all I can do.

There's an innaresting sideline to this:E-85. DSC, I saw your Sen. Grassley (sp.?) last week talking about the possible collusion of the major oil companies with allowing E-85 to be sold at their stations. Stuff like making the station operator put in a new pump for E-85 (rather than use existing ones), not allowing the price for E-85 to be put on the signs, not allowing E-85 pumps to be put under the canopy, etc.. :realmad

unfortunately, E85 is not the panacea that the administration is making it out to be. one of its many dirty little secrets is that it is created in factories that use coal as its energy source. :stunned It is great in the midwest though, i'm sure but we can't even get in the north east. There are a lot of problems with E85, from getting the pumps UL listed, to having a separate canopy in some communities, etc, not to mention how much corn it uses currently...

if you all haven't seen "who killed the electric car" i highy recommend it. it actually made me tear up.

i've been a strong proponent of chavez, but this move is so wrong and so bad.

Pinko that I am, I liked Hugo too, but he turned out just to be another demagogue.

That's how it is where I live too except gas is about $3.59 for the cheap stuff. I stay home, but Jason has to drive 1/2 hour to get to work and if I want to get groceries or anything else for that matter, I have to drive to Ann Arbor or Adrian (Ick) which is 1/2 hour. I walk as much as I can in town, like to pick the kids up from school or to go to the post office. Sadly, there isn't much in the town I live in.

Luckily, Jason drives a Honda Civic so he gets good gas mileage. I drive a shitty mini van because it's either that or an SUV to hold all the kids.

Another thing about the E85 that I saw is that because it uses corn to make the ethanol, it causes the price of food to rise significantly since corn is a major ingredient in most processed foods and it's used as feed for animals. I can't remember where I heard this and I also don't know how much truth is in it either.

So you either pay more for gas or you pay more for food...

I don't know what you guys are talking about, my morning commute was a breeze.

jockitems__145_1145889347.jpg

Except I kept spilling coffee on myself, the stereo sucks, and the wind poofed my hair into an afro. Oh well, small price to pay...

$41 to fill my tank this morning. Apparently my new (used) car has a larger tank than my previous one.

Meh. Our petrol is still a lot cheaper than Europe's, so you won't hear me complaing too loudly. I do find it suspicious, though, that these huge price increases have happened while the occupant of the White House has been a man who's extremely cozy with oil interests.

As for E85, corn is not the only option for its production. I think that it doesn't hurt to continue research into E85 and see if we can improve the fuel efficiency of the manufacturing process. They use a kind of switch grass in the U.K., I believe, and I think the process involved in producing ethanol from that is more efficient than for corn (but it's been a long time since I read anything about it, so I could be wrong).

I went for a boat ride with my father on Sunday. First stop was the marina to gas up. $125.00 bucks for just under 30 gallons. I guess I won't be asking him to use the boat much this summer.

well - right now I have no health care - so I definitely get what I pay for. NOTHING. I pray everyday for no illness, debilitating injuries or accidents. We can't afford it!

I would gladly pay higher taxes on gas, food, income, etc to guarantee that everyone has access to a doctor without potential for lifelong debt and difficulties. For me, and our limited income, we would have to make a lot of lifestyle choices and adjustments - but it would be worth it. We already are making those adjustments.