The inevitable sell out post

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do own some of those albums, and I do skip over the songs that have lost their relevance or meaning do to overexposure.

Wow, that is really lame.

Why would you skip a song just because it was in a commercial or something?

Do you get pissed when they're played on the radio too?

They're not really selling the product, they sold the song to be used in the advertisment...AND it's not even a song off of "Sky Blue Sky".

cat power sold unreleased cover songs to cingular and that one diamond company, and then she went and became a sort of spokesperson for chanel. i was mad until i saw her live for the fourth time and she told the audience that she was saving up to buy a personal submarine. i thought that was adorable and that's when i realized that 'selling out' is okay if you just want to buy a personal submarine. maybe there will be an email from WILCO HQ regarding the reasons for the commercials, but i have a hunch jeff just wants a submarine.

edit: i'm serious about selling out being okay for a personal submarine. that's the only thing i can think of that would be worth selling my songs to be used in commercials for

Of course he wants a submarine. Jeff's trying to get to the island to rescue Jack and Juliet. Oh wait, never mind, too late for that.

Guest Speed Racer

If a 30-second commercial can make a man lose the meaning of an art he purports to love, he is not as smart as he thinks he is.

Look, you'd be hard-pressed to find someone around here more sympathetic to your claims for the sanctity of art than me, but if one thing has been lost here, it's some perspective.

How do I know the licensing of "The Thanks I Get" and "You Are My Face" hasn't debased the art? Because when I listen to both songs today, they still mean the exact same thing to me as they did last month. Their presence in a commercial interferes with their artistic value only if you choose to let hysterical, doomsday overreactions get the best of you. These ads will soon pass, the art will endure, and the songs will continue to exist as pure expressions of Wilco's artistic ambition.

Perhaps you

When the devil came, he was not red, he was chrome and he said:

cruise control

electric power steering

tilt and telescopic steering wheel

front and rear cupholders

remote trunk release

front and rear door pockets

front seatback storage

12V front, 12V rear and 12V cargo area power outlet(s)

front console with storage

retained accessory power

so precise.....

hilarious!

As a VW driver,I couldn't be more happier!

Your an A-Hole if you can't see past this.For one I wish I could make music as well these boys do,and if I could I would quit my day job.They have to make an fn' living,get over yourselves.

Six pages of crap.

Why are you still here?

Trying to sell your opinion?

Go home.

As a VW driver,I couldn't be more happier!

Your an A-Hole if you can't see past this.For one I wish I could make music as well these boys do,and if I could I would quit my day job.They have to make an fn' living,get over yourselves.

Six pages of crap.

Why are you still here?

Trying to sell your opinion?

Go home.

I couldn

fixed it

Thank you :cheekkiss

Wilco makes music for themselves,were just lucky to be apart of it.Jeff would of wrote that song if he was a janitor at my daughter's preschool,got to make a living,take care of them babies.

If Wilco is such a sell out,why are you here?

Get lost!

No offense, but does mom know you

I feel so lame and outdated, both my vehicles have V8's. No wait I just figured it out, I haven't sold out yet. I'm not buying into the green thing. So no offense, but as I whiz by those who drive VW's that are tapping on the steering wheel to the soulful sounds of ITTTIG try not to breathe my fumes.

Ronald Reagan used Bruce's Born in the USA...

although Neil's song This Note's For You does show us his opinion.

Without Bruce's consent for your information. Reagan used it as a rally song, when the song was in fact an indictment of the U.S.A. and the way it treated the Vietnam vets when they came home. Get your facts straight. Bruce never has and never will sell himself out ala Wilco. In the 70's and early 80's before he has any dough he had many chances to do so but felt he did not want to compromise his music in such a way

both are terrible and Neil Young isn't even American.

edit: some people are taking this way too personally. it's a fucking car ad. it'll be here for a few months at best and then you can stop bitching about the moral integrity of people you don't know.

there was also outrage expressed at THIS 90210 appearance:

but then they went on to make some of the greatest music ever heard and appear again on Charmed. big deal. you guys are taking this way too seriously.

What does being an American have to do with anything?

i didnt read any of these posts but wilco didnt sell out, war on war was in an ad before and i love hearing wilco every time this ad comes on

this isnt of montreal and outback - everyones in commercials now, selling out is a much finer line than before