Tweedy solo album

I've was listening to some live recordings of Jeff recently and got to thinking....Is the Live in The Pacific Northwest dvd and the Chelsea Walls Soundtrack the closest we will ever come to getting a "Jeff Tweedy album?"

I understand that Wilco is Jeff's main creative outlet, but wouldn't it be great if he made a record of solo acoustic songs? I think he is one of the best songwriters out there and it is great to hear just him and his guitar. Don't get me wrong, I love Wilco and love rock music, but sometimes I think it would be great to listen to a soft, relaxing record of Tweedy stuff.

I know Jeff has a lot on his plate with Wilco and being a husband and parent, but if he did have the extra time to do something like this, I think it would be fantastic. Nels, Glenn, Pat and John all do other work, so I doubt him creating his own record would cause any "band problems."

Do you think Jeff will ever release a "solo album" of new songs, not just stripped down Wilco songs? Thoughts...

I'd say definitely at some point in the future but with Loose Fur, Golden Smog & Wilco I'd think it would be further down the line. I could see it happening if:

a.) Jeff had a good amount of songs that worked ONLY solo and didnt fit the band. (Although I love the solo shows I would say most of the songs are as theyre "supposed" to sound with the entire band)

b.) post-wilco, and not because it would cause "band problems" because it surely wouldnt, almost everyones got some kind of side project, but just because theres just so much to still do within the band that creatively to leave that oasis would make no sense - a solo album would be a big undertaking. Plus we've seen the perfectionist jeff is - he wouldnt do it until he could do it right.

I'd like to see a Jeff solo album, either something with original songs or solo Tupelo/Wilco/Golden Smog songs... recorded on tape, using only analogue equipment, pressed too vinyl only. Yes.

Also a John album just like that would be sweet as well.

I'd love to see a solo rock album. Jeff's proven himself a capable bass player and lead guitarist. He already has the ultimate session drummer in Glenn. They could record it in the loft. I'd love to hear a dozen or so Hey Chicken/Ruling Class type songs. I guess basically a Loose Fur record without O'Rourke's singing is what I'm hoping for.

Guest Speed Racer
my point is made.

jeff writes all the songs.

jeff sings all the songs.

a solo album would just be a wilco album minus wilco.

Aw geez. Listen to Chelsea walls, then listen to Summerteeth and YHF (the two chronologically closest Wilco albums). Chelsea is SO not Wilco. I concur with the other poster who said that another album in the vein of Chelsea would rock me hard.

I think that at some point in the next ten years Jeff will release a solo album, hopefully of all new songs, maybe a few solo classics.

I like the idea of a mix of new songs, solo classics (Spiders comes to mind, since it is sooo much different from the Wilco version), and even a few covers. That would make a nice double disc.

• 2 years later...

does anyone know where I can locate a link to the Chelsea Walls soundtrack? I would love to purchase it, but unfortunately find myself in a great deal of debt, and the soundtrack is extremely difficult to track down anyway. Any torrent or zip file link would be wholly appreciated