• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy, the Devil Rays' bullpen is awful. The Marlins were down 8-2 in the 3rd inning, and are now up 14-8 after 12 straight runs in the last 3 innings. They now have former Marlin shortstop prospect Josh Wilson coming out to pitch. He's not a former Shortstop, mind you. He's a shortstop. But he's coming out to pitch. Because the Devil Rays are atrocious.

The Marlins, on the other hand have pitched 5 1/3 innings of relief and only given up one run. I don't want to jinx it, but hello .500.

Boy, the Devil Rays' bullpen is awful. The Marlins were down 8-2 in the 3rd inning, and are now up 14-8 after 12 straight runs in the last 3 innings. They now have former Marlin shortstop prospect Josh Wilson coming out to pitch. He's not a former Shortstop, mind you. He's a shortstop. But he's coming out to pitch. Because the Devil Rays are atrocious.

The Marlins, on the other hand have pitched 5 1/3 innings of relief and only given up one run. I don't want to jinx it, but hello .500.

You have no idea what awful baseball is.

I have been a Texas Rangers fan since 1972. This year is a total and unmitigated clusterfuck.

I have been a Texas Rangers fan since 1972. This year is a total and unmitigated clusterfuck.

I think what I described is a pretty accurate description of awful baseball, regardless of what the Rangers have gone through. I'm not a D-Rays fan, so I don't care one way or the other.'

And the Rangers are a pretty easy team to fix, if they stop signing people to ridiculous deals. Get a bunch of ground ball pitchers, good infield defense, and your ballpark will take care of the runs.

For anyone interested, here's Schilling's breakdown of the near no-hitter the other day.

This is from his blog, 38pitches. He's also a member of SoSH and takes a dig at the very end of the piece at the poster I mentioned in the game thread the other day that mentioned the potential no-hitter around the 7th inning.

I think it's kind of cool to get the first-hand perspective as to what it's like to go through it (others may disagree):

http://38pitches.com/2007/06/09/6707-vs-oa...80%a6%e2%80%a6/

I'll bet you remember this dude then, "The Sure Thing".

37pic4ml1.jpg

Boy those guys were really bad in the early '70's.

Nothing else to say about it?

The Dodger's Stadium isn't as nice as Wrigley, in my humble, yet unanimously agreed upon opinion.

It was nice to go see a ballgame, but I am not a Dodgers or a bluejays fan, so I didn't have a high level of excitement.

Right. His skin is too dark to be a grinder. And he is clean-shaven.

Yep, definitely no grittiness there.

It's funny, for a while I thought the Marlins most gritty play was Alfredo Amezaga who is Mexican, and I thought that may be why we are so bad. Every good team has a useless "gritty" player who is white. Maybe that's what we are missing. We need our own David Eckstein.

I thought that was what Aaron Boone was for.

Now, he was a TRUE Yankee.

Guillermo Mota is single-handedly putting to rest any questions people may have had about whether steroids can impact the performance of pitchers.

2006 ERA and WHIP with Mets: 1.00 and 0.83

2007 ERA and WHIP with Mets: 8.10 and 1.95

But he's pitched less than 7 innings this year.

And in 6.2 innings this year, he's given up 3 times as many runs as he gave up with the mets last year. I guess he came over to the Mets mid-year last year so that's not all that telling either...

What I do know is that this guy was filthy for the Mets last year for the first time in his career since 2003, then he tests positive for steroids and now is back to being the scrub the Marlins and Indians thought they were trading away.

He's appeared five times this season. In his last appearance, he gave up 3 runs in 1/3 of an inning. Yeah, that's shitty. And then in another appearance he gave up 3 runs in 2 innings. Also bad. In his other 3 appearances, he's pitched 4 1/3 innings of scoreless ball.

I'm not saying that Mota is good or anything (he's not), I'm just saying, those numbers can get awfully skewed by one bad appearance when you're talking about sample sizes that small. Until his horrible 1/3 inning on Saturday, his ERA was 4.26, which is pretty much exactly league average.