It was 40 years ago today...

http://www.sacbee.com/122/story/193235.html

Hard to believe, kids, but it's true! Whether it's your favorite or not, it's safe to say the musical world underwent a major shift on this day.

I don't know if it's available, but there is a documentary that came out in '87 called "It Was Twenty Years Ago Today" that examines "Pepper" & the year 1967. It's possibly the best thing on the Sixties that I've ever seen. Highly recommended.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It certainly changed the way everything orbits.

It's a terrific album, but I don't feel it's aged that well, especially compared to other Beatles classics. I'm a little too young to have experienced it in context -- I was born the next year -- but I've talked to lots of people, including my parents, about what a total mindfuck it was when it was released.

I remember that documentary from '87 ... I'd definitely like to see that again.

I'm with cryptique. It's a great album, but I think that a few of the others hold up better. I find that the folks that think Sgt Pepper is the band's crowning achievement, tend to be people that were blown away by the album when it was released back in 67.

Still, though, such a wonderful album. And I could look at that album cover for hours.

http://www.sacbee.com/122/story/193235.html

Hard to believe, kids, but it's true! Whether it's your favorite or not, it's safe to say the musical world underwent a major shift on this day.

I don't know if it's available, but there is a documentary that came out in '87 called "It Was Twenty Years Ago Today" that examines "Pepper" & the year 1967. It's possibly the best thing on the Sixties that I've ever seen. Highly recommended.

It was 40 years ago tomorrow in America, but anyway... I have that documentary on DVD. It was never released on DVD, but I have a transfer. I could probably do B&Ps for folks who want it. PM me. Or, we could do a vine-thingy if there is enough interest.

It is a documentary filmed by Granada Television for the BBC and you can find the info here: Clickety-Click

I taped this on PBS in Detroit way back when I was in highschool. VHS tapes don't always stand the test of time and mine became unplayable. Some time ago on the DaD list, I put out a request for this and someone came up with it. You might still be able to find it for BT over there, but otherwise, maybe we can get something going here. It's pretty damned good.

dcd

but I've talked to lots of people, including my parents, about what a total mindfuck it was when it was released.

Yes it was...I was 17 when it came out..one of the best years of my life.

Still, though, such a wonderful album. And I could look at that album cover for hours.
The cover was a large part of the allure, but the songs and the arrangements were also important. Most of us had never heard anything like that before and frankly there wasn't much like that before. But teasing out the messages in the songs and the pictures on teh cover kept us busy for hours. Sure Revolver and Rubber Soul have held up better, but SP was such a product of its time that it will always be remembered fondly.

I can't wait for the 50th anniversay of all this stuff (summer of love, etc.), if we make it that far.

LouieB

Is it safe to say that Sgt. Pepper's was the first time an album was taken seriously as a work of art and not merely regarded as a collection of songs on a piece of vinyl?

I read somewhere once that the English Rock Royalty went to see Hendrix play in a club somewhere in London the day after Pepper was released & he opened up his set with the title track. And, of course, blew everyone's minds.