It was 40 years ago today...

I read somewhere once that the English Rock Royalty went to see Hendrix play in a club somewhere in London the day after Pepper was released & he opened up his set with the title track. And, of course, blew everyone's minds.

I have that.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read somewhere once that the English Rock Royalty went to see Hendrix play in a club somewhere in London the day after Pepper was released & he opened up his set with the title track. And, of course, blew everyone's minds.

That was at The Seville Theater - which was owned by Brian Epstein.

Another version of that track was released on a Hendrix album called Hendrix In The West - which I have. The track is now to be found on - Blue Wild Angel: Live at the Isle of Wight.

That was at The Seville Theater - which was owned by Brian Epstein.

Another version of that track was released on a Hendrix album called Hendrix In The West - which I have. The track is now to be found on - Blue Wild Angel: Live at the Isle of Wight.

So...there's a chance my (Napster circa 1999) copy of him doing it is mislabeled?

I have that "It Was 20 Years Ago Today" special on VHS; taped it off of WTTW back in 87. Before the Beatles Anthology series, this was essential viewing for a Beatles fan. The interviews with George, Paul, Ringo, and George Martin are all very interesting for that time.

I haven't watched it in a very long time, but I think they show a clip of Hendrix playing "Sgt. Pepper" live.

I think I will dig out that tape a watch it again.

Happy Anniversary Pepper...

It's not my favorite Beatle album now, but it was when I was a kid.... I bought it on vinyl in the 70s when I was a teenager and played it constantly.

Sgt. Peppers is an amazing album, I remember the first time listening to it, I got it on tape for Christmas when I was in like 5th grade probably and it was just such an enjoyable album--it's only grown in depth for me since then.

I wouldn't call it my favorite Beatles album--I'm in the White Album camp on that one, but it is a really great album...and "A Day in the Life" is perhaps my favorite Beatles song.

First album I ever bought. Damn, it's been forty years.

While the White Album edges it out slightly over the years, nothing comes close to the impact it had on me (or the world) at the time. Everybody had to work harder on their albums after its release (including The Beatles themselves).

First album I ever bought. Damn, it's been forty years.

While the White Album edges it out slightly over the years, nothing comes close to the impact it had on me (or the world) at the time. Everybody had to work harder on their albums after its release (including The Beatles themselves).

I personally don't think the Beatles ever recovered from it either, the bar had been raised so high. (It seems to have done in Brian Wilson....)

LouieB

Of course, some people think it was too much - with all the overdubs, sped-up voices, ADT use, etc. Which is one of the reasons Music From Big Pink, John Wesley Harding and the like were championed as a return to a more simpler form of music making.

Of course, some people think it was too much - with all the overdubs, sped-up voices, ADT use, etc. Which is one of the reasons Music From Big Pink, John Wesley Harding and the like were championed as a return to a more simpler form of music making.

As was the White Album...

I wish I was alive back in 1967 to hear this for the first time. I think it's a fantastic piece of musicianship, but it's definitely different to grow up hearing an album, as opposed to all at once when it was brand new. I hope that makes sense. I would have just loved to experience the "mindfuck" when this came out back then.

I wish I was alive back in 1967 to hear this for the first time. I think it's a fantastic piece of musicianship, but it's definitely different to grow up hearing an album, as opposed to all at once when it was brand new. I hope that makes sense. I would have just loved to experience the "mindfuck" when this came out back then.
As someone old enough to have heard it at 17 it was a mindfuck.....1967 was a very good year to be alive.

LouieB

As someone old enough to have heard it at 17 it was a mindfuck.....1967 was a very good year to be alive.

i bet. wish i was alive then too.

reading about it is good enough though. haha.

i gotta say,

A Day In The Life is without a doubt one of the best songs ever written.

and that ending, the screeching of all those instruments,

ending bombastically and gloriously with that Emaj chord..

masterful.

and "Within You, Without You".. what a song, what lyrics.

"Try to realize it's all within yourself, no one else can make you change.

And to see you're really only very small and life flows on within you and without you"

very powerful. bless George.

great album.

not my favorite either, but that's irrevelant.

LouieB

You're the same age as my dad. Unfortunately as a result of this I was -20 when Peppers was released. I always say that, 1950, as a music fan, would probably be the best year to be born.