Who's the coolest woman in music history?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Patti Smith, for the strangely arousing underam hair alone and Sister Rosetta Tharpe cause she looks as if she could kick the livin' tar outta you while not missing a beat.

Good call there.

I'll throw Elizabeth Cotten in that mix:

I'm definitely a fan of Elizabeth Cotton's but in terms of a "cool" factor, eh.... She was well into her 60s when she was "discovered" (by Pete Seeger, I believe) and was a very reserved gal.

Nice mention, though.

siouxsie sioux

gwen stephani

norah jones

loretta lynn

joanna newsom

liz frasier (coocteau twins)

rachel floatard

britta phillips

paulina black (selector)

Leslie Feist

Kim Deal

Kathleen Edwards

Tegan and Sara

Grace Slick

Beth Gibbons (of Portishead)

Sarah Slean

I know there are so many more but It's hard to just list them off, y'know?

I'm definitely a fan of Elizabeth Cotton's but in terms of a "cool" factor, eh.... She was well into her 60s when she was "discovered" (by Pete Seeger, I believe) and was a very reserved gal.

Nice mention, though.

Seeger, Shmeeger... here in the Syracuse area, Elizabeth gets respect with or without hangers-on like Pete Seeger. I think Mike Seeger had more to do with bringing her national attention.

As for the "cool factor", any time I see a 50's/ early 60's kinescope of an African-American woman schooling folks on a beat up guitar... it ranks high for me.

Aretha Franklin

Juliana Hatfield

Chrissie Hynde (already mentioned, but deserves reinforcement)

Patsy Cline

Louise Post & Nina Gordon (Veruca Salt)

Alison Moyet

Seeger, Shmeeger... here in the Syracuse area, Elizabeth gets respect with or without hangers-on like Pete Seeger. I think Mike Seeger had more to do with bringing her national attention.

As for the "cool factor", any time I see a 50's/ early 60's kinescope of an African-American woman schooling folks on a beat up guitar... it ranks high for me.

Hey, she's certainly hip in my book, too.

The only reason I mention the Seegers is because you and I probably would not have ever heard of Elizabeth Cotton had someone with some "in" not brought her to the public eye. Remember, she basically quit playing guitar for about 30 years to raise her family and only until later in life did she pick it up again. She was also a pretty private and quiet woman.