Predictions for Wilco's Tonight Show appearance?

I dvr'ed it last night as I was tired and didn't feel like waiting up. I've been avoiding this thread until I viewed the recording in order to be surprised. I just watched it but the dvr stopped recording after the second verse. Bummer.

I'll catch 'em in town the next two nights though, so it's all legit.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, thanks for the new link. I thought it sounded great and it was as I expected it to be. There really isn't any other way to sing a song like that, since it's not a rocker there's no reason for them to appear all pumped up but Jeff put a few words in places that were off the beat.

Nels sounded great through that Fender Deluxe Reverb and Jeff's guitar sounded good too. I'm curious what that little combo is, the vintage looking silver strand grill cloth has me thinking it's some old department store amp though it didn't look like any of the usual Silvertone, Danelectro, Valco stuff. Actually now that I think about it the width of the amp leads me to believe it's a 60's Gibson Skylark, some of those had that short and wide cabinet. Anyway it sounds great.

I just thought that if you weren't a Wilco fan, this performance wouldn't have been really head turning. I thought Hummingbird was the most solid showing of their late night shows...Walken, or You Are My Face, or Side With the Seeds, I think would have been better, but this was a sleepy song, just kind of monotonous. I like it, of course, I just thought it would have been a little boring otherwise.

Thanks for the link--I wasn't able to watch it live.

Perhaps the song choice was a message from the band to the mixed reviews from fans: "Maybe you still love me, maybe you don't. Either you will or you won't." You know, sort of a, "this is where we are right now and we hope you're still along for the ride, but if not..."

Or maybe it was for VW recognition.

Either Way. :unsure

Why isn't this on youtube? I'm disapointed in Wilco fans (j/k since I didn't even stay up to watch it)

I agree, I fully expected for the performance to be on YouTube by now, c'mon people! J/K. I really can't complain since I've never posted anything to YouTube so I have no idea how easy/hard it is to do. We'll just have to wait for a sympathetic Wilco fan to put it up *hint hint* ;)

There is something to be said for making a big splash on national TV. Check out The White Stripes on Conan O'Brien:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6WVD3PqeNY...ted&search=

Does that rock or what?!

Still.....the 'Stripes will never be half the band Wilco is. Never ever.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...