Rank Uncle Tupelo Records

I'm sure this has been done before, but I did a search and didn't see anything come up recently. Anyways lets rank the UT records.

1. Still Feel Gone

2. No Depression

3. Anodyne

4. March 16-20

I love Still Feel Gone and No Depression :worship . I like Anodyne quite a bit :thumbup , but I still can't get into March :ohwell . I probably need to give it another chance. I can't remember the last time I grabbed March when I reached for a UT record to put in.

I'm sure this has been done before, but I did a search and didn't see anything come up recently. Anyways lets rank the UT records.

1. Still Feel Gone

2. No Depression

3. Anodyne

4. March 16-20

I love Still Feel Gone and No Depression :worship . I like Anodyne quite a bit :thumbup , but I still can't get into March :ohwell . I probably need to give it another chance. I can't remember the last time I grabbed March when I reached for a UT record to put in.

This is my order too...though March16-20 is still a great record. Give it another chance, you can do it!

Still Feel Gone should be re-titled Still Feel Like Listening To It. The rest seem to be on indefinite hiatus for me. No guarantee that they won't be back in the playlist someday, but there are no immediate plans for a revival.

I dig all four albums, but here is my order of preference:

1. Anodyne - For me, Jeff really stepped it up and peaked in terms of his UT contributions. Jay's music was always top notch.

2. Still Feel Gone - To me, this album has some of Jay's best music ever.

3. No Depression - Where it all started - still love it

4. March 16-20, 1992 - Is it me, or is this the UT album that has aged the worse out of all the records? I still love the songs, but for some reason, I don't love the album like I use to.

Wow, I know I just said that SFG is the only one I still listen to, but I'm kind of shocked at the negativity towards March. If anything, that one has aged rather gracefully and is probably my #2 UT album anymore. I don't listen very often, but when I do, I like it.

Still Feel Gone

March 16-20, 1992

No Depression

Anodyne

I agree with this. Though I may rank Anodyne ahead of No Depression.....Steal the Crumbs is a powerful song, knowing the band was done.

March is getting a bit too dis-respected, in my opinion. Take out Lilli Schull (does ANYONE like this 'song'?), and that record is almost damned perfect....it's got a great classic sound to it.

Still Feel Gone is great to me, 'cause I like its "balls-to-the-wall" approach on some of the songs. Can definitely tell the Dinosaur Jr. influence.

I agree with this. Though I may rank Anodyne ahead of No Depression.....Steal the Crumbs is a powerful song, knowing the band was done.

March is getting a bit too dis-respected, in my opinion. Take out Lilli Schull (does ANYONE like this 'song'?), and that record is almost damned perfect....it's got a great classic sound to it.

Still Feel Gone is great to me, 'cause I like its "balls-to-the-wall" approach on some of the songs. Can definitely tell the Dinosaur Jr. influence.

I am listening to Lilli Schull RIGHT NOW. I like it okay. I'm not a big fan of "I Wish My Baby Was Born," but for the most part, all of the other songs on the album are pretty solid, and there are some GREAT songs on there, too. I just don't like it as much as I like the other albums...

I must confess I haven't listened to Lilli Schull all the way through since probably the first time I heard it.

I've probably skipped over that song more than any other in my cd collection.

Anodyne definitely has some great tunes on it.....I definitely don't dis-like it at all. I just prefer the giddi-ness of SFG and the dark, powerful tone of March.

Impossible for me to do since they're so different, though I suppose I'm partial to the last two which have a stronger Jeff presence.

Is the anthology worth getting? Still don't have that one for some reason. :o

Anodyne is number one for me by a wide margin, it's easily one of my top five favorite albums ever. To me, it's a break-up album about a band, and it's fantastic all the way through. I'd probably go in this order:

Anodyne

No Depression

March

Still Feel Gone (Though I think "Gun" is the moment, in retrospect, where it becomes painfully obvious that Jeff Tweedy is about to become a force)

In terms of just the absolute overall sound and feel of the albums, I rank them as follows:

March 16-20 (Farrar is still extremely strong and Tweedy is really started to hit his groove)

Anodyne (Farrar/Tweedy equals--no wonder it ends here)

Still Feel Gone

No Depression

In terms of how often I listen to each of them:

Still Feel Gone

Anodyne

March 16-20

No Depression

I play the bass along with plenty of songs on each album, but I find myself playing "Gun," "Nothing," "Cold Shoulder," and "Postcard" off Still Feel Gone the most.

And continually praying for "We've Been Had" at concerts...

March

No Depression

Anodyne

Still Feel Gone

I have not listened to Still in about 6 years. Maybe I should go home and see if it has moved up on my list. The Jay songs on March still gives me chills when I listen to them. I can see why Wilco fans are so down on March, but it is a really great record.

If you look at March in context of when it was recorded, it is amazing they did what they did. I mean it was record at the peek of grunge. It would have been easy for Jeff and Jay to jump on the bandwagon and cash in like so many other bands. I mean even R.E.M. tried to make a grunge album with the release of Monster in 1994. Instead Uncle Tupelo took a complete 180 and recorded something incredible.