War on war

Heavy Metal Drummer

Always in love

I'm a wheel

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another great show this evening. A nice pair with New Jersey, actually. No Theologians or Ashes of American Flags (with the great Nels solo), but we got a Via Chicago and an amazing Poor Places > Spiders (Kidsmoke) to close out the set. That segue was probably the highlight of the night for me -- the drawing out of the end of Poor Places went smoothly into Spiders, which was long and gritty just as I like it. The Impossible Germany and Sky Blue Sky to start the first encore also made me smile.

I was quite happy that they mixed up the setlist, even if they were playing the same songs. It made it that much more enjoyable for those of us seeing more than one of the New York-area shows. (If I was to offer a complaint, it would be the similarity of the second encore with that of Friday night's.)

DEAD crowd. The band was just going thru the motions. Red Bank energy was so much better. Too many people tonight were there to be seen vs seeing the band. Typical pretentious hipster crowd. How many people were going to get drinks, bathroom, talking, etc. UGH

Thanks for posting the set list. I was hoping someone got it down in proper order.

I enjoyed the hell out of that show.

Solid song selection, great energy, band tight, etc.

Kotche is a beast.

I stand corrected. I didn't enjoy the show. I'm not sore right now from moving up and down with the music for two hours.

Hell, you might be right about the crowd, the scene, whatever. I didn't notice. All I know is I hadn't seen the band in almost four years, and I enjoyed the hell out of that show.

I wish I had tickets to Warsaw. I'd love to see them go through the motions again.

DEAD crowd. The band was just going thru the motions. Red Bank energy was so much better. Too many people tonight were there to be seen vs seeing the band. Typical pretentious hipster crowd. How many people were going to get drinks, bathroom, talking, etc. UGH

While there certainly were people heading back and forth for drinks near us, I actually found everyone around me paying attention, singing when asked, and bobbing their heads almost as much as I was. We were on the floor, just left of center, almost in line with the proscenium.

I will agree, though, that the energy in Red Bank certainly was better. There was much more enthusiasm Friday night., that is for sure. I just wasn't surrounded by the hipsters as you seemed to be tonight . . .

Really excellent show. I thought the crowd was pretty into it, though I was toward the front ... so I could be mistaken.

But yeah ... great show. Haven't seen them together since February '05, I think... so it was a lot of fun. And I really feel they just keep getting better. Wish I could find a ticket to the Warsaw show tomorrow.

pretty good show...probably the worst Wilco show i've been to but that is by no means a bad thing. i agree the crowd didnt really seem to be into it and the set list was pretty run of the mill...i was hoping for some surprises. solid show none the less.

huh? Were we at the same show? Everyone around me was dancing, singing, screaming at times, and generally having a blast. I thought the crowd was really great and no one (at least around me) was talking or being horribly obnoxious (as was the case at the MSG NYE show.) I was pretty far towards the back too.

anyway I thought it was great, fifth time I've seen them and this was probably one of the top two; lots of energy and I'd give a million dollars to get a ticket for Warsaw! (well.....if I had a million, I'd give it.)

worst crowd ever....i had first row in mezz 2 and the show started for me as the lights turned black and i got up to chear in excitement. a guy from two rows up immediately ran down and screamed at me to sit down.....then i moved to one of those like booths...i was on the right and everyone in there were on blackberries, talking, getting up for beer during the middle of crucial moments

soo pissed

worst crowd ever....i had first row in mezz 2 and the show started for me as the lights turned black and i got up to chear in excitement. a guy from two rows up immediately ran down and screamed at me to sit down.....then i moved to one of those like booths...i was on the right and everyone in there were on blackberries, talking, getting up for beer during the middle of crucial moments

soo pissed

Welcome to NYC, eh?

Sounds like an awful crowd. When I attended back-to-back nights in Cincy and Indy earlier this month there was a definite difference in the crowd from one night to the next as well. Sounds kinda like what you guys in the NJ/NY area experienced although, in your case, to a greater extreme.

That's always a bummer. On the bright side, the sets are looking great and I'm still pissed I didn't hear I'm A Wheel either night as pretty much everyone else on this tour has gotten that tune in the encores.

Hey Jess, was that you with the telephone love?! :wub

indeed it was!

and I don't get this terrible crowd stuff. maybe because I was in the balcony. I thought the show was excellent! California Stars was the highlight for me, even though Jeff, I guess forgot some of the words...but I was glad they played it. everyone around me was into the show. whatever. I had a great time.

pretty good show...probably the worst Wilco show i've been to but that is by no means a bad thing. i agree the crowd didnt really seem to be into it and the set list was pretty run of the mill...i was hoping for some surprises. solid show none the less.

I found the Poor Places > Spiders (Kidsmoke) to be a bit of a surprise. Looking back at some setlists from this year, it seems like that is a common segue, but has appeared mostly in encores, not to close the set.

Either way, it was the highlight for me.

Another great show this evening. A nice pair with New Jersey, actually. No Theologians or Ashes of American Flags (with the great Nels solo), but we got a Via Chicago and an amazing Poor Places > Spiders (Kidsmoke) to close out the set. That segue was probably the highlight of the night for me -- the drawing out of the end of Poor Places went smoothly into Spiders, which was long and gritty just as I like it. The Impossible Germany and Sky Blue Sky to start the first encore also made me smile.

I was quite happy that they mixed up the setlist, even if they were playing the same songs. It made it that much more enjoyable for those of us seeing more than one of the New York-area shows. (If I was to offer a complaint, it would be the similarity of the second encore with that of Friday night's.)

I felt differently. They are promoting Sky Blue Sky not Yankee or Ghost. Way too many of those songs and way too few Sky Blue Sky (& out of 12 in 2 nights)....where was On and ON, What Light, Either Way???? It seemed very predictable what songs were coming next. Don't get me wrong they played well I just wish they would spice it up with some more new album and different back catelog songs! :ermm

I loved the show. I got there at 5pm and waited for what seemed like an eternity. Was basically right in front of Jeff with one person in front of me. It was oh so worth it. There was a ton of energy in the crowd around me -- I suppose that's what you get in the first few rows. And the sheer power of this band blew me away. Again, maybe it's because I was up front, but every time they kicked into a loud jam, I thought I was going to be picked up and carried away by the force. Awesome stuff.

I appreciated Jeff acknowledging that they hadn't been back in awhile and they missed NYC. That was cool.

Not sure if people just have different tastes, or they go to a gazillion Wilco shows or they check the setlist every night. I purposely avoided all info about shows on this tour and I was pleasantly surprised with everything that happened last night. California Stars was an absolute joy. As was Hummingbird. Everyone in the front was singing at the top of their lungs and we got Jeff smiling.

Jesus Etc. is always tough for me to hear in NYC.

One other thing -- Glenn, Pat, John are all beasts. Jeezopete.

Looking forward to tonight.

It's funny that reading all the snarks reminds me of when Springsteen does an E St band tour. A few shows in, if he doesn't play 5 chestnuts & Rosie EVERY night, 77 posters are getting all po'ed.

While I empathize with the posters about blackberries, hipster crowds, et al, the reality was more in what MattZ wrote...about how a show like this one should make you think about a song like Jesus, Etc & its relation to the city, about how maybe under the microscope it wasn't a great show - honestly, none of the shows so far have been GREAT, imo - it was still a very good show & last but not least, about how it's so easy to get really jaded instead of realizing you're really fortunate. No soapbox intended, just some perspective.

oh yeah, who was the other dude on the keys? playing the hammond and stuff?

you what was terrible, IMO.. Low! sorry, but they really put me to sleep.

I really enjoyed the show, to a surprising to degree since I kind of became burned out on the setlists during the AGIB is tour. I actually thought the crowd was pretty good to be honest -- my wife and I were standing towards the back because i'm pretty darn tall and get a bit claustrophobic. I did think the crowd really was listening, singing, etc - except for one loud girl who was drinking straight jack daniels or something (she volunteered this to me) but even she shut up when asked. The ultimate see and be seen crowd in NYC was the first of the back-to-back Roseland shows a couple of years back -- last night's group was much more there for the music (at least where i was standing). As for energy level - well, hey man, it was a monday night -- and a lot of folks looked around my age (30s) -- do you know how hard it was for us to get out of the house on a school night, let alone go nuts at the show??? :stunned haha.

anyway -- glenn is so much fun to watch -- and the tightness of the band really is remarkable -- i'm glad i went.

It's funny that reading all the snarks reminds me of when Springsteen does an E St band tour. A few shows in, if he doesn't play 5 chestnuts & Rosie EVERY night, 77 posters are getting all po'ed.

While I empathize with the posters about blackberries, hipster crowds, et al, the reality was more in what MattZ wrote...about how a show like this one should make you think about a song like Jesus, Etc & its relation to the city, about how maybe under the microscope it wasn't a great show - honestly, none of the shows so far have been GREAT, imo - it was still a very good show & last but not least, about how it's so easy to get really jaded instead of realizing you're really fortunate. No soapbox intended, just some perspective.

I just don't want Wilco to get predictable. I am only seeing them twice this tour and in the second show I knew what was coming next without even trying. Their last 10 song seems to be written in stone. It is frustrating because I know the potential Wilco has. I have seen them maybe twice on every tour since 2000 and this is the first time I think they are in a setlist rut. Wilco concerts should be fun and spontaneous not scripted like a broadway show. :ermm