Hammerstein NYC

[rant]there were two girls in front of me who were constantly sitting down mid show to roll joints and would not stop smoking. i dont have anything against pot smoking but this was getting distracting. people were constantly pushing me out of the way to get beers. the two dudes next to me got into a fight and had to be restrained. and this was all about 5 rows back. not to say that i didnt have a great time but i wish the shows werent this way. i wish everyone could just stop what they are doing and listen to the concert that they paid a ton of money for. i think Jeff seemed to notice the energy and even pointed out that "they sang a lot louder in Atlanta." maybe it was the large venue, maybe it was just the new yorkers, but it was sort of frustrating.[rant/]

ok thats enough about that

-poor places>kidsmoke was amazing, i like the way they do spiders these days

-hummingbird was another highlight

-new songs sound amazing live

-per the usual nels' freakout at the end of handshake drugs melted my face to the floor

-it was cool to hear kamera

the band really seems to be at the top of their game and sound extremely tight

hopefully ill see them again in Boston

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[rant]there were two girls in front of me who were constantly sitting down mid show to roll joints and would not stop smoking. i dont have anything against pot smoking but this was getting distracting. people were constantly pushing me out of the way to get beers. the two dudes next to me got into a fight and had to be restrained. and this was all about 5 rows back. not to say that i didnt have a great time but i wish the shows werent this way. i wish everyone could just stop what they are doing and listen to the concert that they paid a ton of money for. i think Jeff seemed to notice the energy and even pointed out that "they sang a lot louder in Atlanta." maybe it was the large venue, maybe it was just the new yorkers, but it was sort of frustrating.[rant/]

-per the usual nels' freakout at the end of handshake drugs melted my face to the floor

Crowds at the Hammerstein are always annoying with Pot Smokers and people on constant beer runs even if you are in the first few rows unfortunatley!

Thanks Craig, and sorry, just been workin like a madman! :frusty

You or anyone else going tonite? My first Wilco gig since New Jersey I think. :cheers

Just Red Bank and Hammerstein for me. New stuff sounded great live! Enjoy yourself tonight! :music

Another great show this evening. A nice pair with New Jersey, actually. No Theologians or Ashes of American Flags (with the great Nels solo), but we got a Via Chicago and an amazing Poor Places > Spiders (Kidsmoke) to close out the set. That segue was probably the highlight of the night for me -- the drawing out of the end of Poor Places went smoothly into Spiders, which was long and gritty just as I like it. The Impossible Germany and Sky Blue Sky to start the first encore also made me smile.

I was quite happy that they mixed up the setlist, even if they were playing the same songs. It made it that much more enjoyable for those of us seeing more than one of the New York-area shows. (If I was to offer a complaint, it would be the similarity of the second encore with that of Friday night's.)

Happy to see you here jwelsh!

- Szabo (szavid)

There are going to be assholes at every show. Its unavoidable. And its sad, but probably true, that the bigger commitment you make to be there, the less likely you are to be surrounded by people there for reasons other than the music. Not every one can get out of work early and wait in line for 4 hours before the show starts -- luckily, I was able to do that yesterday. The result is that I was surrounded by people that waited just as long and so had the same love for the band that I had. That's frankly, one of the best positives about getting there early. You are close to the band, but you are also surrounded by people who sing the words to California Stars when Jeff forgets them. It sucks, but even if you love the band, if get to an 8pm show at 8pm you are going to be in the back of the venue with the people who are just there to get drunk or be seen.

From up close it looked like the band was tight and locked in. Also looked like they were having a blast.

I will be at Warsaw tonight. I am very interested to see how the show changes up for such a different venue.

Also, it was pretty funny last night how Jeff said the crowd in Atlanta cheered louder and someone yelled out we won the war.

Thanks for the link to the pictures. That was the one negative of the show for me. I was in the back and am only of average height, thus Jeff and Glenn were the only band members consistently in my line of vision. If you told me Jorgensen was out of the band, I would believe you. I didn't get a single look at him.

Of course, seeing the band isn't important. Being seen is what matters. Did you guys see me? I was rocking some vintage threads, talking on my cell phone, checking my Blackberry, ordering drinks, rolling doobs, hitting on your girlfriend and shoving dudes every chance I got. I hope you guys saw me. I was awesome. Definitely one of my best shows.

I just don't want Wilco to get predictable. I am only seeing them twice this tour and in the second show I knew what was coming next without even trying. Their last 10 song seems to be written in stone. It is frustrating because I know the potential Wilco has. I have seen them maybe twice on every tour since 2000 and this is the first time I think they are in a setlist rut. Wilco concerts should be fun and spontaneous not scripted like a broadway show.

I entirely agree with this statement from a fans perspective, because that is what I am. The Indy show paralled the Davenport show 2 nights prior to such a degree where guessing the next song was not fun. It was like I took the test already and knew all the answers. I am sure remphish rocked out at his second show of the tour, just like I rocked out in Indy. But with the potential of the band, why not mix things up while still playing heavy SBS and casual fans faves. With 20+ songs, you can play 7 or 8 SBS, Shot, Jesus, IATTBYH, ITMWLY, Handshake, while still mixing things up. I have never been in a band. I have never played live shows. I am not coming at this from any point of view other than fan. I just want to be slightly surprised from time to time even if I lurk on vc and read every post about every show that my favorite band does.

>Did you guys see me? I was rocking some vintage threads, talking on my cell phone, checking my Blackberry, ordering drinks, rolling doobs, hitting on your girlfriend and shoving dudes every chance I got. I hope you guys saw me. I was awesome. Definitely one of my best shows.

Love that.

>About 10 minutes before Wilco went on, two men came and stood in the small pocket of space between us and the people who had been standing right in front of us. The new arrivals were so close that one guy's ass was rubbing against my girlfriend's bag for the first 10 songs or so.

I thought you were referring to her privates.

I entirely agree with this statement from a fans perspective, because that is what I am. The Indy show paralled the Davenport show 2 nights prior to such a degree where guessing the next song was not fun. It was like I took the test already and knew all the answers. I am sure remphish rocked out at his second show of the tour, just like I rocked out in Indy. But with the potential of the band, why not mix things up while still playing heavy SBS and casual fans faves. With 20+ songs, you can play 7 or 8 SBS, Shot, Jesus, IATTBYH, ITMWLY, Handshake, while still mixing things up. I have never been in a band. I have never played live shows. I am not coming at this from any point of view other than fan. I just want to be slightly surprised from time to time even if I lurk on vc and read every post about every show that my favorite band does.

I was rocking out and even clapping to Spiders which I don't like but I think you got what I was trying to say! :thumbup

:wave

Hey BMAN! How are you? Are you going tonight too? Wish we could come up but just went to two shows and still recovering!

Hope to catch up soon!

I was up front and my ears are still ringing from the crowd noise. This was my 14th show and I though it was a GREAT show and the crowd was totally into it.

I enjoyed the show but it was nearly the same set-list as Friday which I also attended. The fact I was in the front row made up for this but it was still disapointing because I was hoping for a different experience, having the Red Bank and New York shows so close together. I'm really hoping they will play some of the songs they've been neglecting off SBS like Either Way or maybe a debut of Leave Me Like You Found Me in future shows. Couldn't get tickets to tonight so everyone who's going..have fun!

hey man i was standing right by you. my friend was the one who came between the two dudes who were gonna fight. i was the one in the bandana. i had a GREAT time at the show and i was completely blown away by Wilco's live show. long time fan and my first time seeing them, i was really happy.

Just a rant about the crowd being loud and unruly. We were at a freakin' ROCK CONCERT. If people want to see a show where everyone is quiet and just sits in their seats, wait until Tweedy comes around with one of his solo acoustic shows. I'm 33 years old and have been to hundreds of concerts in my life and I expect people to be loud and have a really good time.

But anyway, the show was fantastic. I loved California Stars and Always in Love. I personally prefer pre-Ghost material, but I was amazed at how good the new stuff sounded live. Nels Cline's performance blew me away. The rest of the band was as good as ever.