Weezer: Album Six

It looks like some of the songs from the new album have made their way to the internet. I've haven't listened to any of them yet, but about half the album is available. See albumsix.com for more details.

There isn't much there. I guess you gotta register to view any posts pertaining to this? I tried to register and it never let me past the "I agree to these terms" page.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like some of the songs from the new album have made their way to the internet. I've haven't listened to any of them yet, but about half the album is available. See albumsix.com for more details.

I found it on google blog search. It seems pretty above average for this decade's weezer albums so far! still pretty weak lyrically, but great production and more enthused performances in general

There isn't much there. I guess you gotta register to view any posts pertaining to this? I tried to register and it never let me past the "I agree to these terms" page.

I'm not sure about the registration part, but I know the site has been getting slammed tonight. They've taken down the link to the portion of the board that actually pertains to Weezer, but if you can get to this link you might be able to get to the threads on the new songs.

I've listened to most of the songs that are available now, and no one will ever be able to accuse Weezer of putting it in cruise control on this record. It definitely doesn't sound like anything they've done before, and there's more originality in these songs than most of what they've done recently. I kind of hate the beginning of "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived," but I love what the song becomes. "Dreamin'" is a stand out for me so far. I can do without "Cold Dark World" which has some of Rivers' worst lyrics, and that's saying something. I like "Thought I Knew," but it just doesn't sound like Weezer to me (for many good reasons). I'm excited by what I've heard so far, even though I really dislike some of the songs.

Thanks bsr8j. I've got them downloaded, but I have to wait until my lunch break to listen. Too bad it's only 8 of the 10 songs... But I'm sure the last two will leak sooner or later.

Legal disclaimer: I will still be purchasing the album when it comes out in June.. :lol

Hmm.. The songs are... interesting.. so far. But I only previewed them.. They are definitely different, except for Dreamin which is my favorite tune so far. Rivers definitely has not improved on his lyrics (he's gotten worse actually). I hate the beggining to "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived," as well.. Is he trying to be the next white rapper or something? He reminds me of some white kid on youtube getting caught rapping in the shower or something.. But the song does get better.. It reminds me of that Green Day song on their latest album.. The one that is like 10 minutes long and is sort of a rock epic.

Not that impressed so far... Kind of disapointed actually, but I can't fully judge it yet until I have listened a few times.

Hmm.. The songs are... interesting.. so far. But I only previewed them.. They are definitely different, except for Dreamin which is my favorite tune so far. Rivers definitely has not improved on his lyrics (he's gotten worse actually). I hate the beggining to "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived," as well.. Is he trying to be the next white rapper or something? He reminds me of some white kid on youtube getting caught rapping in the shower or something.. But the song does get better.. It reminds me of that Green Day song on their latest album.. The one that is like 10 minutes long and is sort of a rock epic.

Not that impressed so far... Kind of disapointed actually, but I can't fully judge it yet until I have listened a few times.

The Green Day song you're thinking of is "Jesus of Suburbia." I'll have to go back and listen to it, because apparently a lot of people think "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived" is like a lesser "Jesus of Suburbia." I also really like "Dreamin'." If I ranked the eight songs today here's how I'd rank them:

1. The Greatest Man That Ever Lived

2. Dreamin'

3. Heart Songs

4. Pork and Beans

5. Thought I Knew

6. Everybody Get Dangerous

7. Troublemaker

8. Cold Dark World

The only songs I really don't care for are "Troublemaker" and "Cold Dark World," but maybe after some more listens I'll come to like parts of those. Every songs still has at least one or two cringe-worthy lyrics. You wonder what they're thinking when they record some of those lyrics and listen to them. Do they sound as bad to them as they do to us?

i'd go:

1. Greatest Man (even as bad as Rivers' "rap" at the beginning is, and as overblown and absurd the song is, it is pretty fucking awesome too...)

2. Dreamin'

3. Troublemaker

4. Everybody Get Dangerous (like i said, verses suck, but that chorus is rad)

5. Heart Songs (love the musical references/tributes)

6. Pork & Beans

7. Thought I Knew (meh, sounds like Mike Doughty singing)

8. Cold Dark World (please, Rivers is the LEAD singer, just obey that fact)

1. Greatest Man (even as bad as Rivers' "rap" at the beginning is, and as overblown and absurd the song is, it is pretty fucking awesome too...)

This is the most fun I've had with a tune in a long time. I bet I've listened to it a dozen times since last night. :lol

how do the other band members fair singing?

Not so hot. One dude reminds me of the guy from The Hold Steady. That's not a bad thing, but not what I want out of Weezer. Solace will probably say my comparison is lazy, but I'm a lazy dude. :P

Today my favorite song is "Heart Songs." Like solace, I love the references and tributes in the song. The song could easily come across as cheesy, but for those of us who love music and for whom music is such an important part of life, I think the song comes across as sincere. There's even a hint of passion in Rivers' voice towards the end of the song. That's something that's been missing in his songs for a long time. I think the verse about Nirvana's "Nevermind" has a clunky phrase or two in it, but this song is so much better lyrically than a lot of the other songs. It's low on the cringe-inducing-lyrics scale.

Ok, this album is really growing on me (especially after listening on my home stereo.. the production is excellent). Even the rapping parts.. "Greatest Man That Ever Lived" is just freakin awesome.. It's Epic..

Man, this album is by no means half-ass like their last three albums. I think this one is going to be big...

Ok, this album is really growing on me (especially after listening on my home stereo.. the production is excellent). Even the rapping parts.. "Greatest Man That Ever Lived" is just freakin awesome.. It's Epic..

Man, this album is by no means half-ass like their last three albums. I think this one is going to be big...

That's the spirit!

That's the spirit!

Yeah, it started when I listened to it on my way home from work.. I guess I started to understand it more.. At first listen, you're just not sure what to think about it, but after a couple times, it's like WOW..

I'm gonna hold off until I hear the actual album.

Yeah, I did that with SBS.. I didn't listen to it until the day it came out, on the way back from the record store. :thumbup

Listening to a leak is kind of like finding the Christmas presents your parents have hidden for you. :santa

nothing will ever even come close to their first 2 records, but this is more in line w/ Green Album quality than the last 2 pieces of shit

Man, I will still never understand the Maladroit hate. That's a damn fine pop record.

"The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived" is so much fucking fun. One thing you won't be able to criticize Weezer for on this album is being comfortable.

Man, I will still never understand the Maladroit hate. That's a damn fine pop record.

Yeah, I take back what I said about the last three albums being half ass.. Maladroit actually is a great record. There are a couple clunkers on it, but overall it's my 3rd favorite.

Blue Album

Pinkerton (very close second)

Maladroit

Green Album

I can't even mention Make Believe.. what a piece of shit..

"The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived" is so much fucking fun. One thing you won't be able to criticize Weezer for on this album is being comfortable.

sorry dude... it's pretty poor, but not nearly as awful as Make Believe...

i'd rate Weezer's records:

Blue Album = 9.3

Pinkerton = 9.6

Green Album = 7.4

Maladroit = 5.2

Make Believe = 3.8

as for this new one, haven't heard the last 2 tracks, but i can safely say it's closer to Green Album quality at least, even if tracks 7 & 8 are pretty damn dull. Rivers shouldn't let anyone else sing, plain and simple.

as for the Greatest Man... that opening "rap" is just HORRENDOUS and sounds like Fred Durst, but after that it is a pretty rad song