Weezer: Album Six

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my, that is spectacular.

Weezer is back, children.

I really think this is the first Weezer album in a long time that both critics and fans are going to embrace.

critics for the most part already are and will continue to hate it... maybe not as much as Make Believe or Maladroit, but by no means is this going to make those folks (or myself even) foregive the huge dropoff from albums 1 & 2 to 3-5

if it gets higher than a 6.5 on Pfork i'll shit my pants

The last two tracks, "Automatic" and "The Angel and the One," have leaked. Their cover of The Band's "The Weight," which is going to be a bonus track on some version of the album, is also available.

Now having the full album, I can come up with a pretty good opinion on the whole thing. Dreamin' and The Angel and The One are undoubtedly Weezer classics. I also think Troublemaker and The Greatest Man rock and are a lot of fun. The rest of the album is really forgettable and bad for me. I'll have to wait to see how the 4 bonus tracks are before I get really mad about the 3 songs by the other members being on there (not a fan of any of them).

After hearing the whole album I think that some of Weezer's best songs since the first two albums are on this album. That might not be seeing a whole lot and I do think the album is a little inconsistent. I was initially happy to hear that Rivers had finally relinquished some control on this album, but after hearing the other guys' contributions, I think I'd like an all-Rivers seventh album. Here's my updated ranking of the ten tracks that make up The Red Album.

1. The Greatest Man That Ever Lived

2. The Angel and The One

3. Heart Songs

4. Dreamin'

5. Pork and Beans

6. Thought I Knew

7. Everybody Get Dangerous

8. Automatic

9. Troublemaker

10. Cold Dark World

I also really like their cover of "The Weight." I especially like the way they managed to inject their fuzzed out/chunky guitar sound into the song and make it sound like it belonged there.

Maybe I'm getting too old, but that video, well, that video sucks.

Everyone one I know who loves the Blue album and Pinkerton has grown up and moved on, while Rivers/Weezer is still mining the Hot Topic, 13 to what, 21 or 22 year old market, the generation that came of age with Youtube and myspace. It's sort of creepy in a Steven Tyler still singing about teen romance kind of way.

Imma do the things that i wanna do

I ain't got a thing to prove to you

I'll eat my candy with the pork and beans

Excuse my manners if i make a scene

I ain't gonna wear the clothes that you like

I'm fine and dandy with the me inside

one look in the mirror and i'm tickled pink

I don't give a hoot about what you think

The dude has absolutely nothing left to say.

Maybe I'm getting too old, but that video, well, that video sucks.

Everyone one I know who loves the Blue album and Pinkerton has grown up and moved on, while Rivers/Weezer is still mining the Hot Topic, 13 to what, 21 or 22 year old market, the generation that came of age with Youtube and myspace. It's sort of creepy in a Steven Tyler still singing about teen romance kind of way.

Imma do the things that i wanna do

I ain't got a thing to prove to you

I'll eat my candy with the pork and beans

Excuse my manners if i make a scene

I ain't gonna wear the clothes that you like

I'm fine and dandy with the me inside

one look in the mirror and i'm tickled pink

I don't give a hoot about what you think

The dude has absolutely nothing left to say.

I think you missed the point a little. It's actually pretty funny.

The song, produced by Jacknife Lee was reportedly written by Rivers Cuomo as a reaction to Weezer's record label Geffen demanding a more commercial record.

Cuomo namechecks hugely successful US producer Timbaland on the track, but sings "But I can do what the fuck I want."