Now playing July 2007

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

canyou.jpg

I used to love this album. I put it on yesterday for the first time in a long while and it didn't seem so great. There are definitely some great songs on it but there is also more mediocre stuff than I remember.

There are some good songs yeah ("Tearing Down This Place", "Sincere", "California Thing"), but if I had to recommend starters to those not knowing Freedy, it would be The Trouble Tree (he never rocked as much, it's close to Costello or Graham Parker) and Never Home (his best album). Those albums CANNOT disappoint imo.

I'm currently playing all his albums in a row (no kidding - that makes twenty albums or so). I purchased Strange Weirdos (his new one).

To those willing to know more about the guy, a great start is the documentary One Man Guy, you can watch it on You Tube (in six parts). It's really interesting, with interviews of family members (Kate McGarrigle, Martha Wainwright, Rufus Wainwright, etc...). And of course Loudon all along.

I think red is the official cover.

I kept 7 Shades of Black, That's the Way (My Love Is), Tarantula, Bring the Light, Neverlost, and Come On (Let's Go!) and deleted everything else. Those songs are pretty fun, cheesy alterna rawk, but the others just didn't click with me. Especially United States, that song was real crap.

NP:

Interpol_-_Our_Love_To_Admire.jpg

I definitely like TOTBL and Antics more, but I still don't know what to make of this. Doesn't seem like a very good album, the only definite keeper is Pioneer. Paul's voice and lyrics are more annoying than ever though.

Okay, I have absolutely hated Art Brut since I first heard them, and I thought they're new single was shyte until it suddenly clicked for me yesterday, so it's on heavy rotation on my Ipod:

Art Brut - Direct Hit

(confirmed that it rocks hard)

The video still reeks though.

Also, a friend of mind has me listening to Archer Prewitt, specifically: Another Peace of Mind. Great mellow out song.

I'm currently playing all his albums in a row (no kidding - that makes twenty albums or so). I purchased Strange Weirdos (his new one).

To those willing to know more about the guy, a great start is the documentary One Man Guy, you can watch it on You Tube (in six parts). It's really interesting, with interviews of family members (Kate McGarrigle, Martha Wainwright, Rufus Wainwright, etc...). And of course Loudon all along.

I've been on a Loudon kick myself lately. I've had 7 or 8 of his discs in rotation over the past few weeks, including the new one.

Thanks for pointing out that YouTube doc, will definitely check it out.

As an aside: the "undeclared" DVD has footage of Loudon performing 7 or 8 songs at some L.A. club as part of the 'extras.' Definitely a nice bonus.

NP: Harry Nilsson - Pussy Cats