PEOPLE PLEASE LISTEN

After watching" Man in The Sand" for about the 60th time it dawned on me where is the voice of our time? The voice of our generation? Where are the people who will really make a stand against what is really going on? I am 35 years old and I don't feel like I have done enough? Jeff's words as well as Billy Bragg 's really struck me? They and us could make a difference right now. Look inside yourself and see what is really happening. The only difference between 1965 and now are the voices. We are under the same type of administration and lies as then. Please listen up. I do not feel ashmaed to write this. Where is our voice at? The concept of "Man in The Sand" rings more true today as ever before, Where are we at today? I know I have opened myself up to much criticism, but I don't care , please Jeff or anyone please lead the way, where are we at today? Where are the people who give a shit? We have not been heard,I know there are like minded people out there, WE ARE NOT BEING HEARD, WHERE ARE WE? THIS HAS TO BE STOPPED!!!!!!!! I AM SICK OF HEARING PEOPLE DIE FOR WHAT??????????????????????????????????????????

I support those who think "This Land Is Your Land" should be the National Anthem.

I like the second poster's quote because too many people feel they need people to tell them what to do or how to do it. How about this for a change, do it yourself, and lead the way.

I do not mean to sound mean, but one should not rely themselves on say Jeff Tweedy to lead the way (which he wouldn't since I believe he does not like writing political songs). In short, let Jeff be who he wants to be, and you be the change you want to see rather than hoping for someone else to cause the change because it won't happen.

Side note: I do think nowadays we are in bad times (not just in the U.S.) but all over the world, and it doesn't help that we have an oblivious president to say the least.

We live in a world too fragmented with problems (especially those of us in the U.S.) to stand against one unifying issue. Can there be a definitive song against global warming? that song probably sucks. I will admit that the backlash to the Iraq war has been slightly less witty then that against the Vietnam War. No one has directed lyrics against Irag as well as John Prine or Phil Ochs did against Vietnam. Wilco definitely knows better artistically then to try to be a Guthrie.

We live in a world too fragmented with problems (especially those of us in the U.S.) to stand against one unifying issue.

I like your statement but I'm a little put off by the "especially those of us in the U.S." idea. How is the U.S. especially fragmented with problems? I think problems are pretty much distributed all around the globe.

how about you do it? you lead. why wait for someone else to do it?

I do what I can do I must admit, I would love to see someone with a respected voice (Jeff just as an example not really who I think should step forard) would be heard just a little louder than my voice and actions. I am just asking where are the respected people to lead the way on the front lines?

Yea, let's go with Jeff (Steve Earle gave it a try..) Jeff is already more famous than Woody Guthrie was when he was alive....(Woody never had much of a recording career actually...Jeff has already made and sold more records...)_

LouieB

Guest Speed Racer
I do what I can do I must admit, I would love to see someone with a respected voice (Jeff just as an example not really who I think should step forard) would be heard just a little louder than my voice and actions. I am just asking where are the respected people to lead the way on the front lines?

Is Jeff (or anyone else) 'leading our generation' going to make a whip of difference in terms of how you act? I agree with the first responder. One famous guy screaming in a blizzard doesn't make the snow go away. Get a shovel, sir.

Is Jeff (or anyone else) 'leading our generation' going to make a whip of difference in terms of how you act? I agree with the first responder. One famous guy screaming in a blizzard doesn't make the snow go away. Get a shovel, sir.

He must have had a good dose of the three As late last night (maybe too much to drink too, etc...), angst, anomie, and alienation.

LouieB

Guest Speed Racer
He must have had a good dose of the three As late last night (maybe too much to drink too, etc...), angst, anomie, and alienation.

LouieB

So, the 4 A's?

I think we could all use a dose of a little 'country wisdom'.

pinocchiohl1.jpg

I'm confused as to what "lead the way" means. Lead the way how? We're a democracy of varied opinions and beliefs. If you don't like something you're allowed to try and change it. I'm not sure what you expect a dude who writes and plays tunes to do for you, though.

So, the 4 A's?
Well depending on which other A he was engaging in..... :lol

The notion that Woody Guthrie was a leader is a bit perplexing.....he wrote some great songs and all....

LouieB

He was a leader at rallying people at the work camps during the depression era, he was a early leader for workers rights in the United States. While not the greatest family man or father, he was indeed a revolutionary, even by the most modest standards.

He was a leader at rallying people at the work camps during the depression era, he was a early leader for workers rights in the United States. While not the greatest family man or father, he was indeed a revolutionary, even by the most modest standards.
Yes, he did those things, as did many many others during those years. But Woody is far more famous now than he was in his own time. Actually he wasn't an early leader for workers rights. There was en entire labor movement that was already in place when he came along including the Knights of Labor, the IWW, the AFL, the CIO, the united mine workers (Mother Jones), Steelworkers, Auto Workers, etc. etc. Woody was a relatively minor player. We remember him fondlly because he wrote some enduring songs to go along with these movements. Actually his personal life had nothing to do with anything either way.

LouieB

I like your statement but I'm a little put off by the "especially those of us in the U.S." idea. How is the U.S. especially fragmented with problems? I think problems are pretty much distributed all around the globe.

Well said and very true. I think if anything it would be easier for an Iraqi version of Guthrie to emerge (that almost sounds oxymoronical) they have a very extreme set of circumstances surrounding their lives that would be quite easy to rally against in the simple form of song. When I say those of us in the U.S. I mean don't mean to say that we have more problems (we may have less), but instead that our ability to respond to them is fragmented by our cultural position. It is much easier to write about a bad harvest, or a needed union then urban alienation and geopolitical skepticism. If anything the best we can do is Radiohead O.K. Computer (on import from our British cousins of course) which deceptively makes a radical political and social statement, only because it embraces so many currents at once (reliance on technology, exploitation of developing nations, surveilance, media manipulation of body image etc. etc.). Its a very modernist work which doesn't have the rallying effect of folk song for the same reasons Dark Side of the Moon doesn't.

I think YHF is the closest you get with Wilco and its an album that has no anthems. It seems much more concerned with American consciousness and its spiritual and psychological ills. AGIB and SBS step away from that with greater interest in lyrical surrealism and some ideas about domestic tranquility.

So, the 4 A's?

Which could easily lead to 2 A's.

As for the lack of a "leader," I don't think that's really the problem. Love him or hate him, Bono would probably be the closest we've got today in that category. The real problem is there isn't anyone following the Bono's and Tweedy's. We're all to friggin' lazy with playing our video games, watching our "reality" TV shows, following Paris Hilton's every move, etc., that we aren't paying attention. When we elect our real leader :monkey based on the fact that he seems like the kind of guy you could have a beer with, speaks volumes about our priorities.

Did anybody notice the crowd at Live Earth in NJ? Melissa Etheridge was going on a rant about the importance of the issue and the crowd went, well, mild. If the crowd can't get worked up for a pep talk on global warming at a concert for global warming, when the hell are they going to get worked up?

I really can't stand protest songs these days.There are many differences from then and today.You could sing a song about not polluting the air then getting on your tour bus then eating at a fast food joint.It's not like we can hop a train,play some tunes and work on a commune.I would rather not hear some bitching artist trying to tell me how to live my life.I'm tending to believe that the hippie generation never existed at all.Woddy is a great writer but was also who he was by leaving his family behind.A Woddy in todays society would be put in jail.It just seem like a pretty picture on the outside,alot of negative went into the positive we get as listeners.We get to enjoy others sufferings.

Unfortunately, or so it seems, many of our great, current artists are more interested in synergizing with big business as a way to get the music out. A controversial political stand would lessen their chances at scoring a fat slice of that lucrative advertising pie in the sky - imo.

Ask yourself

Ok, ok.....serious for a moment.

Iconic figures standing with guitar (or slingshot) in hand against the great Goliath are a romantic American image, to be sure. Lone cowboy on his horse, John the Baptist in the wilderness...it's all lifted from the same copy. Very Judeo-Christian. But this is 2007. All the recent 'revolutions' in Europe have happened by cell phone, text messaging, and email organization. Google it if you don't believe me. (try "orange revolution", or "people power"

There's another big difference between Vietnam and Iraq; there is no draft anymore. Yes the troops are getting screwed over ( 2 x and 3 x combat tours) but they did enlist voluntarily.

The world will always be run by cynical money grubbers. Get used to it. ;)

I'm all for artists taking a stand and expressing strong opinions...unfortunately not a lot of them have the ability to do that and make good music at the same time. A band like Against Me is a good example - they were a much better band when that guy was singing songs about his grandparents, rather than trying to figure out which word he could rhyme with Condoleezza.