tried to convert a mainstream country fan to ryan adams...and failed miserably

That is - the women who love this music do so because 1. the songs are romantic in nature 2. the dudes who sing them are attractive.

Jon Bon Jovi is "attractive"? :mellow :unsure

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

really what you're saying is she likes pop music with southern accents rather than "country" music.

I like the term my old boss came up with for newer country music: Mall Country.

Two different strategies for saving the 19 year old co-worker from her musical tastes:

1) Make a mix with some real country on it; Willie, Johnny Cash, Lyle Lovett.

or

2) Wait until she grows up. Looking back on what I used to listen to when I was that age I cringe a bit. I used to be into Journey and Def Leppard and that sort of crap.

Looking back on what I used to listen to when I was that age I cringe a bit. I used to be into Journey and Def Leppard and that sort of crap.

Exactly. I have quite an album collection of Iron Maiden/Judas Priest/Motley Crue/Ozzy etc. Not that it wasn't the shiznit back then, it's not what I want to hear now.

I like the term my old boss came up with for newer country music: Mall Country.

Two different strategies for saving the 19 year old co-worker from her musical tastes:

1) Make a mix with some real country on it; Willie, Johnny Cash, Lyle Lovett, Waylon, Kris K.

Exactly. I have quite an album collection of Iron Maiden/Judas Priest/Motley Crue/Ozzy etc. Not that it wasn't the shiznit back then, it's not what I want to hear now.

I still listen to that music.

mainstream country =Bon Jovi - who, oddly enough, are now being marketed to a country audience

That is - the women who love this music do so because 1. the songs are romantic in nature 2. the dudes who sing them are attractive.

Also - the music is non-controversial - and does not cause anyone to think about things they would rather not think about.

For the most part

a lot of fans of mainstream country are women i'm sure, but there are also a lot of male fans out there too - just because it's mainstream and run-of-the-mill and based on the so-callled 'attractiveness' of the performer doesn't mean the fanbase is limited to middle-aged women with little taste

my 2 cents worth

I agree with this as well. Judging by your name I'm guessing you're a Toby Keith fan though. I was a Whiskey Girl once when I had the drink 'Whiskey Girl' at TK's I Love This Bar & Grill. I usually like TK singles for a while, but overall I think his CD's kind of suck.

But I definitely don't think people like artists just because "they're so hot" :hitit

Also, some mainstream countier's can actually play the guitar pretty well. Few, but still.

WHISKEYTOWN FIRST

For country cross overs try John Prine,Lucinda Williams,Gillian Welch,Townes VanZandt,Nickel Creek,Carter Family...................Hell,I could go on for hours.

I would do a mix cd if I was you.

Remember your dealing with a fan of super pop country................Keep the songs simple,then hit her with the outlaw when she least expects it.With a mix cd,she might find one or two tracks she likes.Use alot of the females first,girls are suckers for sappy songs!

try these(although maybe not in this order):

hallelujah

answering bell

stars go blue

jacksonville skyline

crazy about you

choked up (off the pneumonia demo)

sweet illusions

yesterday's news

the hardest part

in my time of need

a song for you

i thought the songs you picked for the comp were good but emphasized his harder rocking stuff and some of the songs where he's over singing. just my two cents though. i've wanted to respond to this thread all week and just got the time.

I agree with this as well. Judging by your name I'm guessing you're a Toby Keith fan though. I was a Whiskey Girl once when I had the drink 'Whiskey Girl' at TK's I Love This Bar & Grill. I usually like TK singles for a while, but overall I think his CD's kind of suck.

But I definitely don't think people like artists just because "they're so hot" :hitit

Also, some mainstream countier's can actually play the guitar pretty well. Few, but still.

who is this toby keith person you speak of? my username comes from my fondness for whiskeytown and my fondness for the beverage . . . i'm from oz so maybe i don't get the in-joke :shifty

[edit: i just googled toby keith :yucky ]

I work in country radio so hear all the radio-friendly songs by Toby, Kenny, et al. Before I worked there I couldn't stand "country" music. It's still kind of twang-y but after while grows on you. Now I listen to it all the time. Mostly at work, though, to be honest.

That said, I love all the alt-country stuff previously mentioned. I was just listening to RA earlier today and can readily switch from him to Brad Paisley or Josh Turner or Gary Allan (from Huntington Beach, California, btw. Nowhere near a country station in southern CA). When I tell people about RA I do say "You know the Tim McGraw song 'When Stars Go Blue'? The guy who wrote that".

Anyway, all I'm sayin' is that it's possible to listen to both mainstream country and alt-country and not go insane. Then again, I don't get paid much, so I must be insane to work there.... the paradox intrigues me....

I go to school in Kentucky and it seems like every "new country" song I'm exposed to is about drinking and/or fishing.

Mainstream country seems to have adopted a new patron saint in recent years. Seems like every country dude has traded in his neon-colored rodeo outfit (too Garth Brooks, I guess) for sandals and a straw hat and songs about tequila that come out sounding like watered-down Jimmy Buffett.

That's right, I said watered-down Jimmy Buffett. Wrap your head around that for a second. (full disclosure: I don't mind some JB, but it takes some doing to make him sound hardcore and authentic) :lol

Mainstream country seems to have adopted a new patron saint in recent years. Seems like every country dude has traded in his neon-colored rodeo outfit (too Garth Brooks, I guess) for sandals and a straw hat and songs about tequila that come out sounding like watered-down Jimmy Buffett.

That's right, I said watered-down Jimmy Buffett. Wrap your head around that for a second. (full disclosure: I don't mind some JB, but it takes some doing to make him sound hardcore and authentic) :lol

That's funny, because I always said that the reason I don't like most pop-country is because it takes my least favorite parts of Garth Brooks, and my least favorite parts of Jimmy Buffett, and puts them together.

I work in country radio so hear all the radio-friendly songs by Toby, Kenny, et al. Before I worked there I couldn't stand "country" music. It's still kind of twang-y but after while grows on you. Now I listen to it all the time. Mostly at work, though, to be honest.

That said, I love all the alt-country stuff previously mentioned. I was just listening to RA earlier today and can readily switch from him to Brad Paisley or Josh Turner or Gary Allan (from Huntington Beach, California, btw. Nowhere near a country station in southern CA). When I tell people about RA I do say "You know the Tim McGraw song 'When Stars Go Blue'? The guy who wrote that".

Anyway, all I'm sayin' is that it's possible to listen to both mainstream country and alt-country and not go insane. Then again, I don't get paid much, so I must be insane to work there.... the paradox intrigues me....

Dude, you need to start listening to some Ryan Adams and Old 97's at work. Maybe people will start asking, "Hey, who's this? I like it!" and start playing them on your station.

I personally don't listen to it, but we do actually have a country station here in the greater LA area (which Hunt. Beach/OC is very reluctantly a part of). 105.1 on the FM dial to be precise, which is apparantly brand new after the old country station changed formats to rap/R&B or salsa or something like that.

I personally don't listen to it, but we do actually have a country station here in the greater LA area (which Hunt. Beach/OC is very reluctantly a part of). 105.1 on the FM dial to be precise, which is apparantly brand new after the old country station changed formats to rap/R&B or salsa or something like that.

Yes, I'm familiar with Go Country 105. It's our biggest competitor. They usually don't play anything good (relatively speaking, of course).

The old station, KZLA, changed to Movin' 93.9 with the even more horrible Rick Dees in the morning.

I'm sorry, but for the most part, the track listing that you tried to give your girlfriend would not work for the casual fan. Of course that's just my opinion.

Agreed. Granted we all have different tastes, but the mix I made as an introduction for my sister (who is now a HUGE Ryan Adams fan) was way different. It went something like this (as you can see, I say keep Whiskeytown separate):

To Be Young

My Winding Wheel

Oh My Sweet Carolina

Call Me On Your Way Back Home

La Cienega Just Smiled

Somehow, Someday

When the Stars Go Blue

Touch, Feel and Lose (maybe the acoustic one)

Dear Chicago

Chin Up, Cheer Up

Magnolia Mountain

Sweet Illusions

Meadowlake Street

Now That You're Gone

Let It Ride

A Kiss Before I Go

Hard Way To Fall

The Hardest Part

My Heart is Broken

:wub

Agreed. Granted we all have different tastes, but the mix I made as an introduction for my sister (who is now a HUGE Ryan Adams fan) was way different. It went something like this (as you can see, I say keep Whiskeytown separate):

To Be Young

My Winding Wheel

Oh My Sweet Carolina

Call Me On Your Way Back Home

La Cienega Just Smiled

Somehow, Someday

When the Stars Go Blue

Touch, Feel and Lose (maybe the acoustic one)

Dear Chicago

Chin Up, Cheer Up

Magnolia Mountain

Sweet Illusions

Meadowlake Street

Now That You're Gone

Let It Ride

A Kiss Before I Go

Hard Way To Fall

The Hardest Part

My Heart is Broken

:wub

very similar to a mix I made for my wife, who now likes RA fairly well

your success, unlike the others here, is solely because you rightfully included Winding Wheel and Chin Up Cheer

Mainstream country seems to have adopted a new patron saint in recent years. Seems like every country dude has traded in his neon-colored rodeo outfit (too Garth Brooks, I guess) for sandals and a straw hat and songs about tequila that come out sounding like watered-down Jimmy Buffett.That's right, I said watered-down Jimmy Buffett. Wrap your head around that for a second. (full disclosure: I don't mind some JB, but it takes some doing to make him sound hardcore and authentic) :lol

How is Ryan Adams much different? That new song with Sheryl Crow is right in line with Nu-country.

I work in country radio so hear all the radio-friendly songs by Toby, Kenny, et al. Before I worked there I couldn't stand "country" music. It's still kind of twang-y but after while grows on you. Now I listen to it all the time. Mostly at work, though, to be honest.That said, I love all the alt-country stuff previously mentioned. I was just listening to RA earlier today and can readily switch from him to Brad Paisley or Josh Turner or Gary Allan (from Huntington Beach, California, btw. Nowhere near a country station in southern CA). When I tell people about RA I do say "You know the Tim McGraw song 'When Stars Go Blue'? The guy who wrote that".Anyway, all I'm sayin' is that it's possible to listen to both mainstream country and alt-country and not go insane. Then again, I don't get paid much, so I must be insane to work there.... the paradox intrigues me....

I would put a bullet in my head if I had to listen to and be around the retards that listen to that music.