What is Wilco's next direction?

I'm sure the next set of songs will dictate what they need to be and how they should be dressed up musically. The band seems to work from a let's play and see what happens approach so who knows what we'll see next... and that's the way I like it.

Whatever they do next, the only thing that matters is that it comes from an honest place.

You have to figure that while they are on their tour break for the moment, they are hanging out in Chicago.

Their next show is in Duluth, MN.

Therefore, I'm going to say Wilco's next direction is roughly north by northwest.

Which happens to be my favorite movie.

I hope their next musical direction deliberately polarizes their fanbase to such an extent that there will be heated arguments among their fans along the lines of " you're not listening to them in the right way" & "stfu you highy messed-up freak".

Sure will be different from SBS,at least this is what he said recently:

JamBase: In a recent issue of Harp Magazine when you were discussing this new record you said that you don't think you'll make another record like this, but that you love it. Now those ideas are not mutually exclusive, but it is an interesting dynamic to love something yet not want to do it again. So, I'm kind of wondering what it is you love about this record and why it is you won't revisit this style or this exact angle?

Tweedy: It's not about whether or not I want to revisit it, I just don't know if I can. I think if we set about using the same process and the same philosophy of music making that we used making Sky Blue Sky the results probably wouldn't lead to another record similar to Sky Blue Sky. I think the whole point of it was to just communicate with each other musically and allow something to happen, and to embrace what happened. I think that's what we did. And I guess I love it because it was so gratifying and we were so successful at just staying out of our own way and making the record that was there to make.

I hope their next musical direction deliberately polarizes their fanbase to such an extent that there will be heated arguments among their fans along the lines of " you're not listening to them in the right way" & "stfu you highy messed-up freak".

I'd say that's highly unlikely, considering the last six studio albums...

:shifty

okay I must have missed something but where does "Highly Messed-Up Freak" come from?

okay I must have missed something but where does "Highly Messed-Up Freak" come from?

Long, old story, but here's the short explanation of the in-joke: Years ago a very annoying newbie--I'll refrain from naming him, especially since he's still quite young--once used that term in an argument, and VC latched onto it... first as mockery, now as satire.

Long, old story, but here's the short explanation of the in-joke: Years ago a very annoying newbie--I'll refrain from naming him, especially since he's still quite young--once used that term in an argument, and VC latched onto it... first as mockery, now as satire.

just answer the ques....

Oh, thanks. You're still a highy messed up freak, though.

I don't really have a preference, but if Tweedy's been grooving on Battles and Panda Bear lately, I'd love to hear a Wilco record influenced by those bands and their sound.

The fact that I'm listening to all of that stuff at the moment (except Dr. Dog who I've never heard of) is nice but mainly, I really like Jeff's quote about albums having their own internal logic. I'd never been able to articulate that before. Damn you Tweedy you legend.

The fact that I'm listening to all of that stuff at the moment (except Dr. Dog who I've never heard of) is nice but mainly, I really like Jeff's quote about albums having their own internal logic. I'd never been able to articulate that before. Damn you Tweedy you legend.

Dr. Dog is good. They owe Tweedy for my love definitely.

I have a theory that every album contains at least one song that points in the direction Wilco will eventually take with their next album. For example:

- "Should've Been In Love" from A.M. has much less twang and more of the straight-ahead '90s pop-rock that would comprise a large swath of Being There.

- "Why Would You Wanna Live" from Being There has the evocative piano and dark lyrics that would appear on Summerteetn

- "Via Chicago" from Summerteeth features abstract lyrics and feedback/noise that would define Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

- ummmm.....OK, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot doesn't really give many clues to the direction AGIB would take.

- "Hummingbird" from A Ghost Is Born has the straightforward lyrics and full-band-in-one-room feel that runs rampant on Sky Blue Sky

Given this trend, I would guess that the crunchy guitars of "Shake It Off" will influence Wilco's next record, and it will be a lot more hard-rocking. There's my two cents. Time will tell.