While the game was a disappointment, dinner at Cottage Inn Saturday afternoon made the trip worthwhile.

The original one on William, right? Wow, you're bold. I wouldn't go near that place after a game, but then, I do not enjoy large crowds much (same reason I no longer go to the games themselves). Zingerman's is a mess on gamedays too.

I'll believe Les Miles as the new U-M coach when I see it.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious to see if Tressel has begun a new Big Ten trend in hiring coaches with distinguishing wardrobe quirks. Perhaps Michigan's next coach could be "the man in the corduroy pants" or, better yet, "the man in the yellow hat".

888027.jpg

Its not yellow, its maize, dammit!!
The original one on William, right? Wow, you're bold. I wouldn't go near that place after a game, but then, I do not enjoy large crowds much (same reason I no longer go to the games themselves). Zingerman's is a mess on gamedays too.

Of course. The wait was only 45 minutes or so. Two Bell's Best Browns at the bar and then we were at the table. The best part was some stranger who had never had a Bells bought the second one because he was impressed with the brew when I recommended he get a pitcher for his friends.

I'm as curious as anybody who the next UM coach will be. I'm not sure I buy the Les Miles thing yet. He's obviously in a pretty nice position where he's at right now. But if UM is his dream job, well, its not the kind of job offer that comes around too often so who knows if he would get another shot a few years down the line? I really haven't heard too many other names thrown around. Then again, Carr's retirement isn't even official yet, so I guess it is early.

The game itself--well, the 14-3 score was pretty old-school. This was kind of a first for me--I'm frequently a critic of Tressel's tendency to get overly conservative, but I was firmly behind the "give it to Beanie every time" approach. Boeckman has been having a rough time the last few weeks--screw it, just run the ball! Woody would have been proud of this one.

I'm as curious as anybody who the next UM coach will be. I'm not sure I buy the Les Miles thing yet. He's obviously in a pretty nice position where he's at right now. But if UM is his dream job, well, its not the kind of job offer that comes around too often so who knows if he would get another shot a few years down the line? I really haven't heard too many other names thrown around. Then again, Carr's retirement isn't even official yet, so I guess it is early.

The game itself--well, the 14-3 score was pretty old-school. This was kind of a first for me--I'm frequently a critic of Tressel's tendency to get overly conservative, but I was firmly behind the "give it to Beanie every time" approach. Boeckman has been having a rough time the last few weeks--screw it, just run the ball! Woody would have been proud of this one.

It's official now. I just watched the press conference, and it was typical Lloyd. A little bit surly and irrasicable, a little bit of good humor, and 100% True Blue to the end. As Bill Martin said at the end

Go Lloyd and Go Blue!!!!

Lloyd is a good guy. I think it was his time to go, but it is unfortunate that his recent futility against tOSU will be a large part of his legacy. Such are the perils of coaching a team that is part of a huge rivalry--those games get magnified. Cooper had a pretty good run, too, by all respects, but thanks to those UM games you still can't find too many people around Columbus who can say his name without their face twisting into either a laugh or a sneer. Such is life.

Good luck in finding a new coach.(and QB, RB, etc) We'll be sure to bring out the "welcome wagon" next year in Columbus.

BTW, I just saw this image from Saturday on a blog--I can't tell if this is for real or doctored, but holy cow! :omg

osuinumbackfield.jpg

Lloyd is a good guy. I think it was his time to go, but it is unfortunate that his recent futility against tOSU will be a large part of his legacy. Such are the perils of coaching a team that is part of a huge rivalry--those games get magnified. Cooper had a pretty good run, too, by all respects, but thanks to those UM games you still can't find too many people around Columbus who can say his name without their face twisting into either a laugh or a sneer. Such is life.

Good luck in finding a new coach.(and QB, RB, etc) We'll be sure to bring out the "welcome wagon" next year in Columbus.

BTW, I just saw this image from Saturday on a blog--I can't tell if this is for real or doctored, but holy cow! :omg

osuinumbackfield.jpg

Cooper never won a National Championship. I don't think mentioning Lloyd's name in A2 will cause a similar reaction.

As for a new QB and RB, those are not positions that Michigan needs to worry about for the foreseeable future. Although Mallett had some problems (like getting the ball from the center), he showed enough potential this year that makes me believe that he will be a very good college QB. As for RB, hopefully Grady will recover completely from his knee surgery; C Brown and B Minor will continue to improve, and incoming freshman McDuffie will live up to 80% of the hype. The real problem is going to be replacing the left side of the O-line and getting the defense to actually tackle someone.

As for that picture, it clearly is doctored. All of the O-line are still on their feet. If you watched the game, you know that tOSU's D-line got into the M backfield by running OVER the O-line, not around them.

Yeah, you and all of GA will be sudden Cat-fans... That's cool. Frankly, I'd love to set the dogs up with LSU for the SEC. After watching the LSU game yesterday I think they're a little ove . But beating UT will be a great clean up for us going into a bowl game. We need a quality W to cap off a good regular season.

Definitely agree. Geez...what a spoiler that would be if TN lost to you guys and we surprised LSU in the SEC Championship!

Cooper never won a National Championship.

True. Although I can think of a couple years he should have...which was kind of his whole problem, I guess. I wasn't really comparing the two other than to say that I think the media attention on Lloyd has been a bit heavy on his recent record vs OSU. That's fair, but it also ignores some of the success he had...particularly earlier in his career at UM. You guys up north haven't really suffered, though, unless your current drought runs another half-decade or so. We're still pissed off about the '90s around here.

I know it is kind of early to start looking ahead to next year, but I agree that UM should do a decent job of reloading. (assuming you can get that defense to tackle) And unless many people depart early, OSU will be very good next year. I have no idea about the rest of the league, though. Any signs of life elsewhere?(besides Illinois) It would be nice if the Big Ten teams could get back to beating up on each other because of parity rather than mediocrity and inconsistency. :lol

osuinumbackfield.jpg

Actually, that image is 100 percent accurate. I vividly remember seeing it live and and almost peeing myself. the only thing I could figure was a screen play that went horribly wrong, or that they were hoping to get one block to get the RB free so he would have a plethora of blockers ahead of him. It was probably some messed up trick play that obviously didn't work.

Who's gonna win the Border War this weekend?

Missouri and Kansas seem to be almost equal. Both teams play very smart, are very well coached, and have talented quarterbacks.

The 2 biggest differences I see:

- Missouri has perhaps the best receiver in the country....Jeremy Macklin is an amazing athlete.

- KU has a HUGE turnover ratio of plus-19 in conference games. No other teams comes close.

I predict KU again wins the turnover battle and beats MU by a slim margin.

Saban says 'Bama loss a 'catastrophic event'

/ Associated Press

Posted: 12 hours ago

Alabama's latest loss has coach Nick Saban searching for ways to motivate his team.

Citing the 9-11 terrorist attacks and Pearl Harbor, Saban said Monday his team must rebound like America did from a "catastrophic event."

In this case, that would be an embarrassing 21-14 loss Saturday to Louisiana-Monroe.

"Changes in history usually occur after some kind of catastrophic event," Saban said during the opening remarks of his weekly news conference. "It may be 9-11, which sort of changed the spirit of America relative to catastrophic events. Pearl Harbor kind of got us ready for World War II, or whatever, and that was a catastrophic event."

Alabama's just getting ready to face No. 25 Auburn, its biggest rival, on Saturday.

A Saban spokesman said the coach chose the 9-11 and Pearl Harbor references to illustrate the challenges facing his team.

Who's gonna win the Border War this weekend?

Missouri and Kansas seem to be almost equal. Both teams play very smart, are very well coached, and have talented quarterbacks.

The 2 biggest differences I see:

- Missouri has perhaps the best receiver in the country....Jeremy Macklin is an amazing athlete.

- KU has a HUGE turnover ratio of plus-19 in conference games. No other teams comes close.

I predict KU again wins the turnover battle and beats MU by a slim margin.

well, of course i want KU to win. would be nice to finally shut the tiger fan's pie-hole for once, especially this season. i've got a ton of respect for MU. they are a very, very talented team. it's their most vocal, arrogant, irritating fans i can't stand. i guess you'd have to live in the KC area to understand the amount of disrespect they have toward KU...or is that FEAR that motivates them to be such a-holes?

should be a close game. i have a feeling MU might win, but KU's gonna show up. they have all season. it's gonna be a great game nonetheless.

n2219992944_31291.jpg

Mangino for coach of the year!

I'm not a Kansas fan at all, but I hope they prove everyone wrong and run the table.

that picture actually make "manjello" look slimmer than normal. did you mess with the dimentions?

he's definately won me over this year.

A Saban spokesman said the coach chose the 9-11 and Pearl Harbor references to illustrate the challenges facing his team.

Has Saban's name been mentioned for the Michigan job yet? He's about due for a change, isn't he?

Has Saban's name been mentioned for the Michigan job yet? He's about due for a change, isn't he?

Good lord, bite your tounge. Although I would have a perverse sense of joy if Saban was named coach as both of my parents are Sparty alums and my mother constantly bemoans the fact that Saban left for greener pastures.

I didn't touch the dimensions, but here is one that shows him in all his enormity:

I remember the first OU game I went to after Stoops was hired and Mangino joined the staff. I took a look at the big guy in pre-game warmups and thought, "what the hell is that?" And he's gotten even bigger since then.